Socket 775 CPU Cooler

goatfarmer

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I am in the process of building a new system. I will be using an E8400 processor. It will be initially run at stock speeds, but I may overclock it some, but nothing drastic. I Do Not want to use the stock cooler. I want an aftermarket one, but have a few questions:

1) Are the push-pin style coolers as much as a pain as people make them out to be? I want the easiest cooler to install on this system build, while not sacrificing quality in cooling or durability.

2) What coolers would you suggest i get in the $30-$60 range? I have looked at Frostytech.com. Still cannot decide, which reverts back to the push-pin or non push-pin issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have built 2 computer before, one a socket 478, the other a socket 939 and attached cpu coolers to both of them, if you can relate how difficult socket 775 attachment is to them, etc etc.

Mondoman

Splendid
Of course the big problem with the two CPU coolers recommended above (and with most aftermarket CPU coolers) is that they don't perform the secondary cooling that Intel coolers (and similar "downdraft-style" coolers) do. Many MB's are designed to use this down-and-out-in-all-directions airflow -- they have heat sinks and/or radiators set up on more that one side around the CPU.
If your MB has such a design and you decide to go with a non-downdraft cooler, you may have to add additional small (40mm?) fans to maintain system stability.

Personally, I like the Zalman 8700: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006830&prodlist=froogle

Jaevric

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
From what I've been reading, the Xigmatek S1283 is the best air cooler currently available, and quite reasonable at $36.99 on NewEgg with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=S1283

It is a push-pin style cooler but you can always buy a backplate kit for $6-8 dollars more if you want to go that route.

The new Sunbeam Core Contact is supposed to be even better, but I haven't found anywhere that actually has them on sale yet. The Xigmatek S1284 is coming out in July but the benchmarks I've seen actually rate it a little lower than its predecessor, though nicer-looking. The OCZ Vendetta 2 is also supposed to be very good but is much pricier.

ibender

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Push pin cooler installation is the worst thing I've ever seen. It's a total pain in the ass, and you feel like you're going to crack your MB because you have to push so hard. It BLOWS.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
my fingers rest for 3 days after i installed the Scythe Infinity. stay away from those push pin if i were you. and dont instll you system inside the case yet until you get you cooler. saving you taking them out again which is a long process.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
You should have some sort of case fan to offset the lack of secondary cooling described by Mondoman. After all, it's summer and I'm watching my NB temps rise to 49C...:(

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

And it's a good practical way to keep your beer (or beverage of choice) cold :wahoo: