Sign in with
Your question

My lovely 8800GT....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2007 9:25:43 AM

So last week my 8800GT (512mb) was crashing after about 20-30min inside of most of my games. So I called eVGA and got one shipped out to me for a replacement...

Last night when I got on CoD4 to play for a little while, my card didnt crash at all. 3 hours of playing and not 1 crash. I stress tested it with everything i knew of, 3dmark, rthdribl.... and it was working flawlessly...

I didn't do anything to the card, didnt add any fans, nothing... its really wierd. I wonder if these cards have a "break in" period where they might/might-not crash and then after they get worn in, they run fine. Because thats what it seems to be happening with me right now.

More about : lovely 8800gt

December 14, 2007 9:46:14 AM

Never heard about a break-in period for a graphics card. I'm sure they're all speed binned and burned-in at the factory.
December 14, 2007 9:59:17 AM

folius said:
So last week my 8800GT (512mb) was crashing after about 20-30min inside of most of my games. So I called eVGA and got one shipped out to me for a replacement...

Last night when I got on CoD4 to play for a little while, my card didnt crash at all. 3 hours of playing and not 1 crash. I stress tested it with everything i knew of, 3dmark, rthdribl.... and it was working flawlessly...

I didn't do anything to the card, didnt add any fans, nothing... its really wierd. I wonder if these cards have a "break in" period where they might/might-not crash and then after they get worn in, they run fine. Because thats what it seems to be happening with me right now.

Just a faulty piece of hardware, why are you wondering? o.O
Related resources
December 14, 2007 10:14:55 AM

sounds like you had a bad card and changed it for a "working" one.. Where's your question?
Ryan
December 14, 2007 1:16:10 PM

I didnt change out the card. Its the same card that would crash all the time, and the last 2 days of gaming have been flawless. I am getting more FPS inside of CoD4... HL2 doesnt artifact...

I will hopefully get my replacement card today (it says its on the truck for delivery)... I will swap them out and see what happens.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2007 1:23:59 PM

Sounds like the HSF was not settled properly and maybe got knocked into place...
December 14, 2007 1:41:08 PM

Well... i havent touched my case, moved it.... i made sure the card was seated properly when it started crashing the first time... I dunno, its really wierd.
December 14, 2007 2:24:08 PM

Did you update your driver? The new driver may have higher default fan speeds to keep the thing from overheating.
December 14, 2007 2:51:25 PM

Didn't update the driver. I already have rivatuner set up to change the fan speeds. 40% at idle and increased as the temps went up. My card hardly ever went over 73c. Even at ~68c it would crash. Now while running CoD4 which used to crash like mad... i play for hours on end and alt+tabbing to check to see what the temp is on my card, its about 75-76c at peak with fan speed at 80%.

I have rivatuner set up to change the fan speed from 40% to 60% at 66c and to change to 80% at 75c.

Its the oddest thing i have heard/seen happen with this card. I got a second one shipped to me (it will cost me $220) if I dont send my old one back within 15 days. But hell, if my current card starts working perfect, i might keep the other 8800GT for the $220 price tag and run them in SLI.... interesting.... Giggedy Giggedy.. Goo....
December 14, 2007 2:55:48 PM

or it could be that when you played late at night, the ambient temp in your case was lower because it was cooler inside, thus the video card was running cooler, and not crashing. I know my computer runs about 5-6 degrees cooler at nighttime. My 8800GT from eVGA has never crashed though.
December 14, 2007 3:00:04 PM

That might have been it... but still a 10f degree difference in my room is only like 2-3c... so I dont think that would cause my card to crash. Even a week ago during the day when my card first started crashing, it would never go over 75c on the card temp.

To clarify to everyone who is going to post..

NOTHING HAS CHANGED! TEMPS, BIOS, DRIVERS, SETTINGS, FANS, HEATSINKS, ETC.... NOTHING!

Just started working from one day to the next. I am still going to test it further when i get off work and play all night with the card, if I dont get any crashes... yipee! Still going to change out for the new card and run it to compare. If both seem to work, going to keep them and run my old card in secondary SLI posistion and the new card in the primary slot.
December 14, 2007 3:02:16 PM

Did you defrag or anything, I've noticed that when I installed TF2 and COD4, they crashed some, then i defragged and they never crashed since.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2007 3:05:08 PM

folius said:
NOTHING HAS CHANGED! TEMPS, BIOS, DRIVERS, SETTINGS, FANS, HEATSINKS, ETC.... NOTHING!

Something has changed. You just don't know what it was.
December 14, 2007 3:17:02 PM

I havent changed anything is what im saying. Maybe somthing has... but until i find out what... only time will tell.

I have not defragged, restored or anything like that. But until I get my next crash... dunno.

One thing during a crash said my nvidia display driver stopped functioning properly.... i only saw it because i got out of my game before my computer totally locked up. I uninstalled the drivers, booted to safemode, ran drivercleaner.... reinstalled my drivers, and kept going... but i still got crashes but no errors. So i assumed it was a one time thing and the rest was because of my card. But between the reinstalling of drivers, crashes and now this mysterious fix... i havent touched it.
December 14, 2007 4:05:40 PM

Folius' GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB: A Christmas Miracle?
December 14, 2007 4:37:06 PM

No, a Festivus Miracle!

I read once that there a significant "burn-in" period for thermal grease to attain its optimal heat transfer properties. Or maybe it was for the thermal grease to optimally bond to the CPU/GPU and heatsink. Maybe the card was running a little hot and it's now cool enough to not overheat.
December 14, 2007 5:19:34 PM

I thought it might be somthing like that, but my temps have not really changed over the past couple days from when it was crashing. Or maybe i was just getting a false reading before from my sensor.
December 14, 2007 6:15:38 PM

Maybe some kind of non driver update (windows update perhaps) unknowingly solved the problem, the thing is you got lucky, very lucky.
December 14, 2007 6:27:20 PM

In a related matter I have an older 8800 GTS that has intermittent crashes also, I've described my issues in another thread here so I wont' dwell on them. The thing that caught my eye was like you have I have recieved the "nvidia display driver stopped functioning properly" message before. Are you running vista?
December 14, 2007 7:04:35 PM

Im running XP Pro with automatic updates turned OFF. I hate those damn things coming up while im playing and minimizing my game...

So it wasnt a windows update or vista issue.
December 14, 2007 8:14:59 PM

Same type of thing was happening with my 8800gt 512mb. When I first loaded the card, the screen went black and the pc became unresponsive during the second graphics test in 3dmark06. Then it made it through the second time fine. Playing GOW would always make the screen go black within 30 minutes. Switched to playing Dirt w/o problems. that game was rock solid. then decided to crank up fan speed to 60% (even though heat never went above 70 anyway.) Played GOW for hours on end with no problems.

A couple of days later, I was in the Nvidia control panel and my fan settings were at default. Somewhere the had reset themselves. I had been playing with no probelm without fixing the card. Really weird. I have posted this elswhere and had stated that I have never had a card fix itself.

Last night for the first time in almost a week, i had a black screen then a crash from UT3. My old problem was just the black screen. This time after being black for 5 seconds. I had a crash to desktop and the system was ok after that. I have decided this was the same problem i was having with my old card. I unticked the open AL HW setting in UT3 and had no problems.

Right now i'm just confused. Is my card ok or not? Did it fix itself? I have no clue.
December 15, 2007 4:24:45 PM

I decided to OC my current card to 650/1625/900 (core/shader/mem) and ran 3dmark06... I was getting scores of about 11050 compared to 10670 with stock.

I got my second 8800GT in today. It had the larger fan on the stock cooler... so its a V2 card... I installed it in place of my old 8800GT and OCd it to 650/1625/900 (core/shader/mem) and ran 3dmark06 and got a score of about 11200.

I installed both cards, with my newer one in my main PCIe slot and my older one as the "helper" SLI card... I ran 3dmark06 just now and got a score of 13556. So with the SLI config my score went up 2356 points. Not a dramatic increase, but still somthing.

Still want to run my games and see what is really going to happen with the cards in SLI... hey if they work... $220 for a brand new 8800GT 512mb V2 card, cant beat that.
December 15, 2007 5:38:44 PM

Ok so after setting up SLI.... getting my fan profiles set up with rivatuner... join CoD4 MP game... 30sec in, crash.

Reboot, and look at rivatuner temps on startup, the cards went from 60c idle to 80c+ in a matter of a minute... you need really good cooling to have two SLI cards in... well little to say, i put my old card in to see if it still was a miracle worker. Booted up fine but running stress test it crapped out. Put my new V2 8800GT in and its working fine.

Guess that card really crapped out after all.
December 15, 2007 6:45:53 PM

sounds like it. Send it back.. Though 80 degrees in a minute sounds too much, even for two gts in sli. Have you no "through" case ventilation at all?
Ryan Adds
December 17, 2007 11:35:50 AM

I have 2 120mm fans blowing in and 3 120mm fans blowing out. Even though, i dont see much airflow. I think its because my fans are quiet, low rpm fans with not much umph. Im getting a 5.25bay intake fan and a PCI slot VGA cooling fan when they get in stock. This will pull cooler air from the front of my case and exaust the hot air directly from my card. This should help a lot.

Even though i have one card in there at the moment, everything helps.
!