New System won't boot !!! (CPU sespected) ( Core 2 Quad ) ( Asus P5k)

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
My new system won't boot up . It turns on for a second or so, then shuts down. I tried different startup configs of hardware, finally the system powered on and stayed on after I removed the CPU ( Core 2 Quad). Everything else seems to be working.

My motherboard is Asus P5K Deluxe. Someone told me that it could still be the MoBo. I put the CPU in Dell XPS system, but didn't work. I also put the pentium D from XPS in the new system, the system turned on for a second, then shut down, then turn on itself again and stayed on with all the fans, and leds working. But no display.

Power Supply seems to be in good shape, With all the fans coming on. GPU fan comes on, Optical drives work. Don't know anything about harddrive, because plugging or unplugging it didn't matter.

My conclusion is that it is the CPU, but Motherboard also is suspected. Please help me figure out this problem. I'm getting a cheap 775 socket motherboard from local store to test the CPU. If the CPU works then I guess I will RMA the MoBo.

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
System Specs

Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz (q6600)
Asus P5K Deluxe
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 800Mhz 4x1GB @ 4-4-4-12
XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB @ 640 MHZ
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000RPM
Seagate 500GB SATA 32MB Cache 7200RPM
Antec 900 Case
Rosewill Xtreme 750 W

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
bytch your back?

nope wrong!

if its the cpu it will turn off in 15 or so seconds not 1 or 2

one or 2 your have a ground problem or loose something or maybe a hardware issue (usually this will not power at all if its bad hardware)

could a hard drive failing too

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i could not help my self - me bad! wait my bad - thats it!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you know the asus mobo starts and then turns off when it boots - that is normal

all new intel chipsets seem to due that - first power up the systems starts. turns off then restarts.

you must no be clearing the check

i am not sure of your issue but since it does not restart the second time there is a hardware issue - need to ask asus about why the mobo restarts (it is build into the intel chipset i think)

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Make sure the cpu fan is plugged in correctly and the 4 pin or 8 pin cpu power is plugged in and use only one stick of ram til you get roling. And since it is Asus you need to unplug the power any time you make a change.

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks Guys
Update:
I just tested the CPU (Core 2 Quad) on a different (ECS 775 Socket) Motherboard. Computer starts up, but no display. Power stays on with this motherboard.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Coincidently I had this problem on my old ASUS P5K board. Turns out in the ZIF socket some of the tiny pins were bent, how, I don't know, but it happened. The reason your CPU might not have worked in the other PC is because some motherboards don't recognize certain processors, such was the case when I tried to use my E4500 in my friends PC, it wouldn't boot up.

I would take your entire PC into a local shop and have them test it. That's what I did and they foudn the problem within 5 minutes, called me, than I bought a new motherboard and they opted to install everything, test everything, and made sure 100% that when I left the store it was in working order. That's why i always buy local now. Even though it's sometime more expensive, the customer service is amazing.

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks a lot guys...

I finally figured out the problem, it was a freakin bend pin in the 775 socket...
I played around with it and finally the system booted..

Bios detected all componets, and showed right values for CPU.. However I do get CPU u code error on start up check (no OS installed)..

CPU ucode error !!!

I this error just a bios problem ?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Do you have the most updated bios for it?

Ya, those pin arrays are very delicate. Wonder how many people may have overlooked it, and thought.. bad CPU or MB.

Yeah, the LGA package is Intel's way of passing the CPU pin problems to someone (in this case, the motherboard manufacturers) else.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Did I call it or what! I knew it was a bent pin in the ZIF socket, just like my old board had. :pfff:

Well anywho, personally unless you KNOW the pin is fine, I'd swap it out for a brand new board. You don't want to potentially harm the CPU or any other component in your PC.

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
YES! I checked the pins after seeing your post. All credit to you...
I might get a brand new board, don't want any problems later on...
I'm going to update the BIOS and see if the microcode error goes away...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Not sure if you want to OC or not, but just so you know, don't go past 0602 on the BIOS for those boards. They are the best you can get for OCing and more recent BIOS's have some issues with Voltage Drop.