1 month old western digital hd screwed?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
My pc started restarting constantly since last night, so i left it off til this morning. Startup was uber slow, like 3 minutes slow instead of the usual 40 ish seconds. Once windows would start to load (Vista home prem. 64), it just restarts and tries its 3 minute startup time all over again. If I take out 1, 2 or 3 sticks of ram (1 gig ocz crossfire certified sticks), startup time increases dramatically, the more sticks i remove, the slower it is :S

Id blame other hardware, such as ram, but I have 2 other wd drives, both sata2, a 160 gig and a 250 gig, they work fine and have no problems during startup.

Last sound I heard before i decided to backup data was a slight roaring sound comming from this hard drive. If this drive is dead, is there something wrong with wd's quality control recently? Im hoping its just bad luck. It will be the 3rd new WD drive to screw on me in the past 2 months.

Should i bother reformating and installing windows, or just return it, 4 year in store warrenty ftw

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
lol, good point :p

It says, "Product of Thailand" which can actually mean its simply sold there, and made somewhere else -.-

Edit: Guess il try the reformat/reinstalation, if it screws again, il just keep returning them until I finally get one that works

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
So far a clean install fixed it, I guess it was some form of severe file corruption. I will update in the future if anything similar occurs with the same drive.