eVGA 8800 GT with Thermaltake Duorb, 100C idle?

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I just put a Thermaltake Duorb on my eVGA 8800 GT and it's running really hot. Rivatuner is reporting idle temperatures between 80C-100C. The video card and the case don't feel hot, though. The fans are running, and I installed all the heatsinks. I'm really stumped as to what to do.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Wow, Riva Tuner doesnt seem to be wrong that often because I havent seen anyone really say that.

The card may not feel hot, but its that core you are worried about. You placed the sink on it yourself? You made sure all are contacted correctly? It doesnt take much...

If all else fails, remove the heat sink. You'll be able to see by the thermal paste if it was making good contact, sometimes its tricky to re set those things!

Good luck!

--lupi

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
On second look I noticed one of the 11.4mm screws hexagonal screws cracked and the cooler isn't making good contact in that corner? Would that be causing it? :p And how the heck am I supposed to get a replacement 11.4mm hexagonal screw?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, make something that works! I have no clue, and yes, just a corner off the chip and thats gonna smoke!

I make my own stuff all the time. You know if it will work or not. Make sure its done well, even if its a fake screw, lol!

--Lupi!

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I think you found the exact problem. You can probably find a machine screw w/ the proper threads that will work at the hardware store or an autoparts store. Probably won't be a hex head.

If you are willing to wait and order over the internet check out http://www.mcmaster.com/

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Is it some sort of berserk proprietary piece? I don't know if it can or can not be made, but hey, I'd try, unless it was impossible!

Never was good at waiting!

--lupi

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Found a place that sells them online. In the meantime, I yanked off the new cooler and put back on the old one. Guess I'll have to get that screw. Thanks for the help!

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Ugh, I must have really fudged something up. I put the old cooler back on, and the temps went to 100C+ and I got graphical corruption and had to reboot. I put back in my old 8500GT and I'm at about 62C. :/

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hehe, see, they can be tricky. Did it originally have thermal tape on it, or was it thermal grease to start? Sometimes the parts don't contact the cooler unless you use the thicker tape like thermal compound.

--lupi

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Okay, so I kind of goofed up. A big goof up. I only today realized I'd been using thermal ADHESIVE. That aside, I've spent the last few hours using an exacto knife. Am I entirely S-O-L or am I still going to be able to use this card? I've attached some pictures for your disapproval. :p

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
After looking at the pics, WOW! Nice! let me know the final amount of time it takes to get it operational, lol!

I love the Forum!

--Lupi

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
System is back up, not sure how well though. I'm getting weird pops from my speakers when Windows boots, and had one graphical corruption crash. Temps are about 62C though..

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Wow. Tried to play a game, audio seemed like it was about to start, popped, then there was no audio, and once I was in-game, frame rates were terrible. I'm hoping that's an audio issue, though.

tristonhopkins

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Well, apparently in the process of cleaning off the adhesive with an exacto knife, I knocked off some of the transistors (the little silver dots around the GPU chip) and basically killed the card. I could barely afford the card in the first place but I went ahead and ordered a replacement.

@tristonhopkins

Okay, so I kind of goofed up. A big goof up. I only today realized I'd been using thermal ADHESIVE.

Not according to your pics it doesn't look like thermal adhesive, thermal adhesive is a 2 part epoxy thermal compound, and once it cures it will not come off without ripping the die out of the socket.

Well, apparently in the process of cleaning off the adhesive with an exacto knife, I knocked off some of the transistors (the little silver dots around the GPU chip) and basically killed the card. I could barely afford the card in the first place but I went ahead and ordered a replacement.

No Offense Man, but if you're no more skilled than this, do yourself a favor and stay out of your computer!