Looking for new hard drive, intermal or external?

Immortal_Soldier

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I was looking for a new hard drive for my new computer, my dilemma is wether I want to get an internal or an external hard drive, I will mostly be using it to store my music, pictures and videos.

However I will probably be accesing it most of the time. I know almost nothing about external drives, I have been reading a little and I see eSATA being thrown around and RAIDs is there a significant speed difference in accesing data?

Mostly looking for a 300-500 gb hdd.

Any help or comments will be appreciated.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
external eSATA for performance, USB for compatibility. USB shares performance on a bus among all USB chain devices. eSATA and internal SATA are the same performance, each drive has its own connection, no sharing of bandwidth. Go that route if at all possible.

Immortal_Soldier

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Wireless does sound very cool, but kinda risky and slow.

I ran into another dilemma while reading around the stickies.

If I install another hdd does it have to be set to a RAID?

As I understand it if I do set it to RAID and the there's a size difference, I wont be to see the whole drive. But I still dont get the percentages. Can some one shed some light into this please?

On my old computer I added another hdd used the software that came with it and that was that. I did not get to see all of the drives capacity, but I didnt know about RAID and partitioning.