Need Help on Lower Watt CPU and Motherboard Combo?

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a low wattage combination upgrade to replace my motherboard, CPU, and RAM without having to replace my powersupply (a 350 watt ENERMAX EG365P-VE) or replace other components. Currently I am running an AMD Athlon 1700+ which I read uses about 64 watts. The rest of the system consists of a Gigabyte 7VXTE+ motherboard with 1.5 gig of RAM (I want to replace) , LG GSA-4163B burner and LG DRD8160B DVD-ROM, ATI Radeon 7500 video card, MAXTOR 6L080J4 and SAMSUNG SP2514N IDE ATA harddrives. I am a student trying to do things on the cheap, and I want to upgrade to a dual core processor with enough memory and speed to smoothly run my voice recognition program (Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.5) along with multiple applications including Winamp, Seamonkey and F-Secure anti-virus on Windows XP. I have been considering some of the 65 watt AMD X2 Duo-core chips with a new motherboard (I don't know what kind though) would these work within my current configuration or do I would I need a new powersupply? Any suggestions on Motherboard, memory and CPU combos that might fit with my existing setup would be appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about need lower watt motherboard combo
  1. I'd try one of the asrock dual series and an E21x0, you cab reuse your RAM and GPU, but will allow you to upgrade to PCI-E and DDR2 if you spot a bargin.

I'd also like to say that unless you hit extreme processors its going to be the GPU that pushes the power envelope wider not the CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards