Sign in with
Your question

Need Help on Lower Watt CPU and Motherboard Combo?

Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2007 2:27:12 PM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a low wattage combination upgrade to replace my motherboard, CPU, and RAM without having to replace my powersupply (a 350 watt ENERMAX EG365P-VE) or replace other components. Currently I am running an AMD Athlon 1700+ which I read uses about 64 watts. The rest of the system consists of a Gigabyte 7VXTE+ motherboard with 1.5 gig of RAM (I want to replace) , LG GSA-4163B burner and LG DRD8160B DVD-ROM, ATI Radeon 7500 video card, MAXTOR 6L080J4 and SAMSUNG SP2514N IDE ATA harddrives. I am a student trying to do things on the cheap, and I want to upgrade to a dual core processor with enough memory and speed to smoothly run my voice recognition program (Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.5) along with multiple applications including Winamp, Seamonkey and F-Secure anti-virus on Windows XP. I have been considering some of the 65 watt AMD X2 Duo-core chips with a new motherboard (I don't know what kind though) would these work within my current configuration or do I would I need a new powersupply? Any suggestions on Motherboard, memory and CPU combos that might fit with my existing setup would be appreciated.
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2007 2:48:13 PM

I'd try one of the asrock dual series and an E21x0, you cab reuse your RAM and GPU, but will allow you to upgrade to PCI-E and DDR2 if you spot a bargin.

I'd also like to say that unless you hit extreme processors its going to be the GPU that pushes the power envelope wider not the CPU.
!