How Accurate Is Core Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirMoby

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
How accurate is Core Temp 0.98.1? I'm running an X48 with a Q9450 (I got a good deal on the X48) and Core Temp was telling me that with a stock cooler that temps were hitting 85C and with a Thermalright Ultima-90 that temps can hit 73C.

SpeedFan tells me that core temps are 7 degrees lower.
EasyTune tells me that my temps never go above 45.

I don't think Easy Tune is measuring the actual core temps but still.

Which one is right?

BTW - What's a good way to attach a fan to the North Bridge? I purchased a 40mm MiniKaze but it doesn't come with any mounting hardware and there are no holes on my heat sink. I thought about using twist ties since cable ties are seem a little thick.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
good question, i have wondered the same. I think that core temp reports temps that are higher then reality, tho this might just be wishfull thinking on my part.

SirMoby

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Real Temp looks good. It shows 5 degrees less then Speed Fan which shows 7 degrees less then Core Temp.

Since I think the number for Core Temp were way too high using stock, I feel comfortable ignoring it. I guess I won't worry until I see dangerous numbers with Speed Fan or Real Temp.

Thanks.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Im pretty sure that if your reading 85 its quite close, look up the cooler guide toms came out with just a few months ago, with all of them they used, the stock fans just barely cooled the processors enough, and that is using the word loosely. Now if you had a decent after market cooler to throw in there, and then see if it is cooler, and a improvement, that would be ideal. Also radio shack sells temperature sensors for under 20 bucks, could always go pick one up and use it, instead of trusting software

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Shadow703793, sorry, but just to keep it straight, BIOS reports CPU temperature (Tcase) and the DTS reports Core temperatures (Tjunction).

gomerpile, BIOS is not always correct, and DTS means Digital Thermal Sensors, which are located within each Core. Also, there is no Analog Thermal Sensor located "under" the CPU. The erra of the thermocouple in the motherboard socket under the CPU is history. Today's modern processors have the Analog Thermal Sensor integrated within the processor die. From the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Section 1: Introduction

Intel provides separate thermal specifications for 2 different sensor types; a CPU Case (not computer case) Thermal Diode located within the CPU die between the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located within each Core. The Case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature Case), which is CPU temp, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature Junction), which is Core temp. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a constant temperature gradient between them, which is Tcase to Junction Delta. C2Q`s have 1 Tcase and 4 Junction sensors, while C2D`s have 1 Tcase and 2 Junction sensors.

Section 5: Findings

(A) Tcase is acquired on the CPU Die from the CPU Case Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O chip on the motherboard. The digital value is BIOS Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. BIOS Calibration affects the accuracy of Tcase, or CPU temperature.

(B) Tjunction is acquired within the Cores from Thermal Diodes as analog levels, which are converted to digital values by the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) within each Core. The digital values are Factory Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. Factory Calibration affects the accuracy of Tjunction, or Core temperatures.

(C) Tcase and Tjunction are both acquired from Thermal Diodes. Tcase and Tjunction analog to digital (A to D) conversions are executed by separate devices in different locations. BIOS Calibrations from motherboard manufacturers, Factory Calibrations from Intel, and popular temperature utilities are frequently inaccurate.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Comp :sol:

JAKMACK

Reputable
May 8, 2014
What the heck there is no definitive answer on this website! Core temp has been reading the reported common numbers of the dozens of articles I've been looking at, though my Asus Mobo included temp reader tends to be reading the temp rising tremendously past 54c! Even giving me a warning time to time of extensive temperature when it reaches that infamous 65c! Someone who is an expert give me an answer, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.