Drives can burn but not read

batshwa

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hello,

I have had for quite some time now the following problem with my two optical drives, the first being a Samsung CD-ROM SC-148C, the second a NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A: my OS (Windows XP) recognizes them (just like my BIOS does) and I am able to burn media with the NEC model, but they just cannot read media.

When I insert in Windows a CD or DVD (into any of the two drives), I can see the small light at the front side of the drive flashing up a few times for about three seconds, just as it does when closing the drive with no media inside at all.

The same problem arises when I'm outside Windows. If I try to boot a perfectly working bootable Linux Live CD or the Windows Installation CD (which function well on other PCs), I obtain the message "Strike F1 to retry or press ESC to cancel". I have so far cleaned the PC with a vacuum cleaner, I have even taken out and put back in both drives, with no success so far.

What do you think causes this problem? Could there be a flaw with the IDE cable (although the system manages to burn media)? Do you think it might be helpful to disassemble one of the drives and vacuum clean them and try again, or is this dangerous?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Todor Dinev.

P.S.: My BIOS version is Dell A05.

grantarchy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Hi, did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem. It appears that my DVD drive will burn, but when I try and install a game it can't see the disc at all. I have read that burning software can mess with settings, but am having a difficult time trying to fix it.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
got any spare ide cables hanging around you can test with?

im not sure of your mobo but can you test with the second ide port if it has one?