To SLI or not to SLI

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Hey guys,
I've a "shuttleX"(just the box, in it are my things) and I wanna buy a normal size computer,

I've:
-"Nvidia GeForce 6800" manufactured by "asus", 256Mb, SLi compatible, "Gaming Edition"(that's old, but it's a good card)
-PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108
-Samsung HD501LJ (500GB)

I'm thinking about buying those thing:
- http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=qxN8puLTQhY%3d&view=shoppinglist

- One of those cases http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=kAd%2bmwJ8dU8%3d&view=product (I do not know how to chose)

- One of those mainboard http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=DtXjE3UWA2I%3d&view=product (If *16 for video card is not written, it means that it's *8?) (can you help me to chose please?) (It will be better to have 4 sound jack(for surround, I have the Logitech G51 surround 5.1 so....)

For RAM, doesn't a mather, I've a lot af thing;

It's just an Idea, just say me if it's completly stupid, and say me what I should do,

Thanks(If you don't understand, say me, I'm not english)

ramo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
What is your budget?

At what resolution do you play?

We can help you better if you anwser the above questions.

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I've 4 difrenet screens (from 12' to a HDTV 140CM) and I wanna play all kind of game, so...
My budjet is arround 1000CHF, (800 will be better), I already have RAM(all kind, all performance)

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not an english, so I've maybe not understand all(I'm quite good so I thing that I have, but maybe not), but I haven't find where do it talk about *8 and *16 speed for card, it's speak in general just about memory, so...

And it has just speak me for the SLI, I'm also asking for other thing like case, processor, the idea in general ect...

ramo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
If i understand you correctly, we have to choose your parts

Thermaltake Soprano
Q6600
Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus
XpertVision GeForce 8800GT (the 8600GT isn't good enough)
Seasonic M12-700 Modular Power
use your samsung spinpoint 500GB

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
And would my old one in SLI mode slow down or not the PC('cause if I've good understand, 2 SLI card work like 2times the worse one, so...)??

ramo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
You can not use youre 6800 card.
You can only use two cards that are the same.

SLI doesn't offer two times the preformance!
look at this review to get an idea.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/468/

the 8800GT is indeed a SLI card

I personaly wouldn't invest in a SLI config unless you play at very high resolutions (1920x1200 and up)
(I would buy a P35 mobo and one GFX card)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
disagree about the resolutions for sli....if your at 1080p (ie 1920x1080 on ur hdtv) sli will help u out...anything lower in resolution just isn't worth the money though you start seeing benefits for sli at resolutions 1400x1050...it doesn't shine until your playing at 1600x1200 which has less pixals than a hdtv @ 1080i/p ...so its ur call. i run 1080p with sli and in some games i couldn't play 1080p unless run in sli...though my monitor does do dot for dot pixal mapping so i can dumb my resolutions down without warping the image. who really wants to play with less pixals when u have more to use ;)

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'm gonna play on HDTV (30") and it's not just for me, so....

DFI LANParty UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R, Core 2 Duo/Quad, SLI has 3 thing for grafic(on Image), does it mean that 3 video card can be put?

I can NOT or it will just not help?(to put my old one)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
your do for a new graphix card...the 8800gt is a great choice if u want to dual sli....if ur interested in tri-sli it requires a gtx or ultra card from the 8800 class. i would go with the first link set up running a 680i....the other board can't run sli, though it will run crossfire. the 680i is fine if u don't plan on upgrading ur cpu to a 45nm part (yorksfield) as they don't work for some reason. if u can wait right after the first of the year nvidia is releasing the 780i board....just a thought.

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I've not enought money for GTX, so I'll go with dual SLI,

I do not understand: "upgrading ur cpu to a 45nm part (yorksfield)"

How much will 780i board cost? why will it be better?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
the 45nm parts (new cpu's) just now being released by intel do not work on the 680i or 650i motherboards. the cpu u picked does work. my point was if u ever want to upgrade ur cpu like you do with a video card for games, you could be stuck with the cpu you have for the remainder of the systems life. the 780i's are not out tell january so i can only speculate to how good they will be. that said if you are not going to ever upgrade your cpu and your in a rush to get the build done i wouldn't worry about it. as far as the builds you have listed, i have a few suggestions. first off your power supply needs to be at least 750 watts (w/ greater than 80% effienacy) if u want to run sli safely with a couple of 8800gt's and a quad core cpu. the more lights and mods you add though the more watts your gonna need as well, so if ur going to to be adding stuff now or over time you might want to choose a better powersupply than what i even recommended. also i would make sure you got a 680i mother board over a 650i...the 650i is not a bad motherboard but its not really very great either in features and performance. as far as you modding goes, thats art in my eyes and totally up to you what you like and want to use just keep the power requirements in mind as i said earlier. personally i run a 1200 watt psu (1000 watt continuous aka < 80% effecient)

nikolabjelo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
In fact I've take an ATI one, 3870, sapphire, and a aluminium case of 3.8kilo, with a DDR2 motherboard RAM and 2*2giga RAM,

Every thing with CrossFire,