Cannot Format New WD HDD

Kurosei

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I just put together a new machine last night. The HDD is being detected, but when I go to format it with the WindowsXP setup disk, it tells me it cannot format this partition. It will actually attempt to format it, but when it reaches 100% it will give me the error. The mobo, hdd, and cables are all brand new, so I'm a bit stumped.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L and the HDD is a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB.

I hope that there is just something very simple I'm missing here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
You need to give us all the information on the parts your using in the system and be detailed as possible. This could be a system memory problem. For starters if your using more then one stick of memory you can try just using one in the system and see if it will then format.

Kurosei

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Oddly enough, after I restarted I saw that two partitions were created with odd sizes and a portion of the disk was left unpartitioned. I deleted both of those, and just did a quick format to see what would happen. It's now allowing me to install Windows, so hopefully it was just a fluke. Thanks anyways!