Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a virus travel through Wireless internet?

Last response: in Applications
February 9, 2013 9:29:29 PM

Hello ppl, I have a wireless connection to every computer in my house and one of my computers has a bad virus. Can the virus travel from one PC from another through my home wireless internet?
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2013 9:40:29 PM

A virus can infect any computer connected to the network.It will be more possible if sharing options is enabled.
m
l
February 9, 2013 9:55:00 PM

Can I get a virus even if I don't turn on the other computer? How can I avoid getting the virus?
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 10:02:43 PM

Also what about if you install malware? Does that travel through the wireless internet?
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:53:33 PM

Malware is a type of infection. You can get it from any other website or computer you're connected to, if it has it.
m
l
February 10, 2013 12:01:04 AM

Does the computer have to be physically connected with a cable to get the virus?
m
l
February 10, 2013 2:41:54 AM

Frozenpenguin said:
Can I get a virus even if I don't turn on the other computer? How can I avoid getting the virus?

A computer has to at least have an electrical current running through it order for the virus to be executed and it do its thing. So no, you can't get a virus if the computer is completely turned off.

A computer also has to be involved in the exchange of information, whether it be through inserting a flash drive into the USB port, executing a program, visiting a web page, opening a file, or not being fully secure while residing on a network (wired or wireless) that consists of other devices that carry a virus, if there's to be the possibility of the virus further propagating.

A virus is just like any other piece of data...the only difference is that a virus is designed to intervene with the natural processes of a computer, whereas most any other file/program assists you in what you're trying to accomplish. Also, a virus may be equipped with tools that allow the virus to spread, whereas a typical program/file is restricted to the user's intention and manipulation of the data.
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:27:01 AM

The Stealthinator said:
No, it does not.
so basically i am screwed because if I turn on my other PC, the malware will travel through the internet? So I am only safe if I get rid of it(the malware) entirely? Is it the same with a virus?
m
l
February 10, 2013 4:20:10 AM

Malware can only get from one computer to the other if they are connected (wired or wirelessly).
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:07:28 AM

The Stealthinator said:
Malware can only get from one computer to the other if they are connected (wired or wirelessly).

Ok so I can't get a virus or malware from just using the same internet connection? Am I good as long as I dont connect them in any way? ( other then using same internet)
m
l

Best solution

February 10, 2013 5:10:37 AM

Yep as long as you don't connect them in any way, you should be fine.
February 10, 2013 5:58:10 AM

Best answer selected by Frozenpenguin.
m
l
!