NO OS found, bad HD?

July 20, 2005 1:07:04 PM

I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup. Now
I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd like
to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in, it
would go
the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
gives 10
seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove the
disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please

More about : found bad

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:02:50 PM

Just checking here but are you certain that there is no floppy in the floppy
drive?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"DonFredi" <DonFredi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup.
Now
> I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd
like
> to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
> cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in,
it
> would go
> the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
> gives 10
> seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove
the
> disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
> again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
> by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:35:05 PM

Yes.

Now I was able to remove the BIOS password and get into

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:
> Just checking here but are you certain that there is no floppy in the floppy
> drive?
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "DonFredi" <DonFredi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup.
> Now
> > I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd
> like
> > to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
> > cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in,
> it
> > would go
> > the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
> > gives 10
> > seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove
> the
> > disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
> > again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
> > by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please

July 20, 2005 11:41:58 PM

Visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
button and check out question 86

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

"DonFredi" <DonFredi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup.
> Now
> I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd
> like
> to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
> cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in,
> it
> would go
> the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
> gives 10
> seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove
> the
> disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
> again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
> by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:41:59 PM

Thanks a bunch and helpful website. I'll be checking it often. The owner has
set a BIOS and forgot it. Anyway I can reset or bypass it in order to check
CMOS setup?

!