NO OS found, bad HD?

I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup. Now
I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd like
to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in, it
would go
the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
gives 10
seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove the
disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please
5 answers Last reply
More about found

    Just checking here but are you certain that there is no floppy in the floppy
    drive?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "DonFredi" <DonFredi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup.
    Now
    > I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd
    like
    > to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
    > cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in,
    it
    > would go
    > the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
    > gives 10
    > seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove
    the
    > disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
    > again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
    > by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please

    Yes.

    Now I was able to remove the BIOS password and get into

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    > Just checking here but are you certain that there is no floppy in the floppy
    > drive?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "DonFredi" <DonFredi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup.
    > Now
    > > I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd
    > like
    > > to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
    > > cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in,
    > it
    > > would go
    > > the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
    > > gives 10
    > > seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove
    > the
    > > disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
    > > again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
    > > by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please

    Visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    button and check out question 86

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

    "DonFredi" <DonFredi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've got this HP pavillion saying "No operating system found" at bootup.
    > Now
    > I am thinking the HD has failed, but before I go and buy a new one, I'd
    > like
    > to see what suggestions you guys may have for me. I've already checked all
    > cables and jumpers. I tried to reinstall XP, but when I put the XP cd in,
    > it
    > would go
    > the process of formatting the chosen partition(NTFS), copying files and
    > gives 10
    > seconds to reboot with a message saying remove floppy disk. When I remove
    > the
    > disk, it says"no OS found". If I don't remove it, PC goes back to setup
    > again. Also, I put the HD as a slave on another PC, I ran a diagnotic tool
    > by the Manufacturer, it passed all tests. Any suggestions please

    Thanks a bunch and helpful website. I'll be checking it often. The owner has
    set a BIOS and forgot it. Anyway I can reset or bypass it in order to check
    CMOS setup?

    DonFredi wrote:

    > Thanks a bunch and helpful website. I'll be checking it often. The
    > owner has set a BIOS and forgot it. Anyway I can reset or bypass it in
    > order to check CMOS setup?

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=remove+BIOS+password&btnG=Search

    Malke
    --