Sign in with
Your question

continuous BIOS beep when booting

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2007 12:44:33 PM

Have just finished new PC build. Have been running the PC for approx 6 hrs (just in BIOS) checking temperatures. Everthing was good, all working, temperatures ok. Have run it a few times on different days and good everytime. Today however I turn it on planning to install windows and the internal speaker gave it's usual single Bios beep. But this time it was quickly followed by a continuous high pitched beep that doesn't stop.

I have taken out RAM + tried different combinations with it.
Removed grahics card, still no change.

even with this speaker noise the PC boots with correct post screen and reached Bios.

Any ideas much appriciated.

Steve
December 8, 2007 1:29:14 PM

First, you should post your system specs, including PSU wattage...

Second, take it to bone stock...

motherboard, cpu, ram... boot it... record results

motherboard, cpu, ram, video card... boot it... record results

motherboard, cpu, ram, video card, hard drive... boot it... record results

if all the above check out, then start adding your PCI cards...

post your conclusion here
December 8, 2007 2:16:09 PM

PC Spec:-

Case = Antec 900
Motherboard = GA-P35-DS3R
CPU = Q6600 with Freezer Pro 7 cooler
RAM = 2GB Ram 667MHZ (Kingston)
PSU = 620W Corsair
GPU = 320MB Geforce 8800 GTS superclocked
Harddrive = two Wester Digital SATA2 250GB (WD250AAKS)
DVD = two Samsung SH-S203B DVDRW

Test Results:

Motherboard + CPU + RAM = 1 short beep then 2 short (closer together), then continuous
Motherboard + CPU + RAM + Video Card = 2 short (different tones) then continuous
Motherboard + CPU + RAM + Video Card + Hard Drive = Continuous interupted by 1 short then continuous again
Related resources
December 8, 2007 2:28:22 PM

first try removing one module of ram and try to boot your compueter if that doessn't work remove it and try from the other one
December 8, 2007 3:16:23 PM

have tried all combinations of RAM & slots. Still get similar error codes.

I just don't get it. If there was a serious problem why do I get a post screen and can enter Bios?
December 8, 2007 3:39:58 PM

Have you looked up the meaning of your beep codes? If not, you're wasting your time (and ours) posting here.
December 8, 2007 3:53:48 PM

yes I have.

It could be many things (RAM, PSU Motherboard etc). As seen in previous post I have stripped it to the basics and still have a problem. Yet the system still boots to BIOS and displays.
December 8, 2007 4:07:05 PM

I had a similar beep problem with MB GA-P35-DS3L (Bios Ver. F6; CPU: Q6600). I disabled " CPU smart fan control" in BIOS and it worked. It may help you hopefully
December 9, 2007 9:01:49 AM

Well that seems to work. The continuous tone is still there at startup but disapears after the first post beep. Its a little annoying though, as the fan now runs at maximum all the time. "Auto" is even the default and that causes the problem too. Strange that it was ok when I first changed the settings.
December 30, 2007 2:04:14 PM

if there's ANY jumpers on that board, verify them against the manual for the RAM and CPU... i'd look for voltage or FSB jumpers...

check the CMOS battery and try a different stick of ram, or load up memtest86+ and see if your ram fails

sorry for the delay, tom's isn't notifying me of forum updates :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2007 2:41:40 PM

Hien had it right I think; my -DS2R gave a fan alarm too until I went in and adjusted the settings.
December 30, 2007 3:13:36 PM

there shouldn't be a continuous beep prior to the POST beep... do you have that issue, jtt?
December 30, 2007 3:48:16 PM

Try:
CPU fan fail warning - DISABLED
You can leave fan control options on AUTO.

!