Sign in with
Your question

Finding a good non SLI motherboard

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2007 2:45:50 PM

I'm trying to compile a list of parts because I'm looking at building a new system and am having trouble with finding a good motherboard. Currently I'm running a Asus nForce 2 board with a AMD 2700+ processor on it-- its going on 5 yrs old and I finally have money to retire it. The new system needs 3 PCI slots and I prefer not having SLI as I don't intend to use it. I would like to use the newest memory standard if possible-- if its an Intel board DD3, AMD DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500). I will probably put at least 2 GB in it, 4 GB preferred. Please post if there isn't a good reason to go with DDR2 1066 versus DDR2 800 because I'm more concerned about building a system that'll last a long time.

It was suggested on another thread to use a Biostar TF560 A+ however I'm not familiar with BIOSTAR, I've always gone with ABIT, ASUS or GIGABYTE but they seem too expensive with the better processors--especially Intel? I don't necessarily care about processor performance differences right now -- just price and motherboard layout. I will decide later depending on the motherboard to go with either be a Q6600 or a Phenom. I need at least 6 USB 2.0 , 3 PCI slots, 1 PCI-Express 16x slot, a LAN port, and DDR2 1066 or DDR3. I will always go with an nVidia card-- this time probably a BFG 8600GTS since its $149. This system won't necessarily be for gaming but rather media applications. If its prudent to wait for other motherboards being released, please say. Thanks for your help.
December 8, 2007 3:44:11 PM

I would recommend the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R mothorboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only thing with this board is that it doesn't support DDR3. (Only two motherboards that are out right now do) This board is high quality, supports all new processors and is only $130.
December 9, 2007 1:08:34 PM

A bit more future-proof DDR3 it is. GA-P35C is a hybrid board that does DDR2 & 3. ASUS has P5K-C, etc.

The TF560 or AM2 board in general isn't future-proof at all. I don't think AM2+ is either. AM2+ is a transition much like X38. AM3 will support DDR3 & be out at the end of 2008 or early 2009. AMD has been using DDR2 tech for ages. Memory tech isn't the main corcern if you're an AMD user. The main concern for an AMD overclocker is getting the most out of every last bit & having fun doing it. If that's not your idea of fun, go Intel.
!