Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New PC Help

Tags:
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
December 17, 2007 7:22:03 AM

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP
Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR2-800
Graphics: NViDia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: Sony DVD+/-RW
Display: Dell 19" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Are my choices compatible with each other? I am glad to hear any suggestions and comments.

If so, then what:

CPU Cooling(Air/Liquid)
Case
Power Supply(1000W)
Sound Card

do i need? Thanks :) 

More about : question

December 17, 2007 8:31:22 AM

Forget about the Asus P5K, they have known to have random reboots and a bad Bios. Just check out the NewEgg reviews and Asus's own forum if you require more information on this. I would however recommend the Asus P5E X38 mobo, have a look at the NewEgg reviews, it has an 82% score on the P5E with only 1 out of 58 mobo's DOA. Mine ran/runs awesome out of the box with the stock Bios.

NewEgg reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131219

December 17, 2007 9:09:49 AM

A 1 kw PSU is overkill. Something around 600 - 700 watts from the Tier 3 or better list:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

Actually, for what you have listed, a good 500 watt PSU should be enough. But I like to run with reserve capacity.
Related resources
December 17, 2007 9:29:32 AM

If you are only getting the MB for the WIFI, then a less expensive board such as the Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a separate PCI, or USB WIFI adapter would do just as well. If you need Firewire, then this can also be accomplished with an inexpensive PCI adapter.

I would stick with the stock Intel cooler, unless you are planning on extreme overclock.

Case is more of a personal preference thing, but here are a few popular ones.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is no need for a 1000w PSU. This one will do just fine with room to spare. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would try the onboard sound to see how you like it. If need be, you can add a sound card later.
December 17, 2007 9:32:58 AM

systemlord said:
Forget about the Asus P5K, they have known to have random reboots and a bad Bios. Just check out the NewEgg reviews and Asus's own forum if you require more information on this. I would however recommend the Asus P5E X38 mobo, have a look at the NewEgg reviews, it has an 82% score on the P5E with only 1 out of 58 mobo's DOA. Mine ran/runs awesome out of the box with the stock Bios.

NewEgg reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131219


My P5K-E is great so I don't know what the issues are. It "randomly" reboots when the power is cut off to it. If it looses power it double posts once and then its fine. The BIOS is great and never had an issue.

As a general rule I don't trust Newegg reviews. Half the problems are self-inflicted.
December 17, 2007 9:13:10 PM

cnumartyr said:
My P5K-E is great so I don't know what the issues are. It "randomly" reboots when the power is cut off to it. If it looses power it double posts once and then its fine. The BIOS is great and never had an issue.

As a general rule I don't trust Newegg reviews. Half the problems are self-inflicted.


Then checkout the Asus forums, how can so many be wrong about the same thing? Asus has even stated that theres a problem with them over the phone.
December 17, 2007 9:17:43 PM

systemlord said:
Then checkout the Asus forums, how can so many be wrong about the same thing? Asus has even stated that theres a problem with them over the phone.


I didn't say there weren't people with issues.

I said mine didn't have any.

The newer BIOS's from what I've heard aren't that great. Fortunately I have no reason to get the new BIOS. My P5K-E has been great, and I have 3-4 friends that have gotten them and love them as well.

It's always the vocal minority with the issue.

P5K-E

I like all the horrible reviews it has.
December 18, 2007 1:11:12 AM

Mine works fine too... its running my fileserver on a Q6600 with PCI-e RAID card ;)  Love it actually
December 18, 2007 3:00:58 AM

cnumartyr said:
P5K-EI like all the horrible reviews it has.


When I warned the OP about the P5K series motherboards having Bios issues, and there do have there problems. My OP still stands as my opinion, quit picking on my post and move on please. :)  Next time include a review with a little more (26 reviews) than just the selective one you gave in your post for the P5K-E which doesn't cover all the P5K series.

Quote:
P5K-E I like all the horrible reviews it has.


No need to be a smartass about it, were all grown up here.


P5K-P http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131190

P5K-D http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131182&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&Page=3
December 18, 2007 9:39:31 AM

I wasn't picking on your post.

If you noticed you said the P5K series has plenty of issues. All I said was the P5K-E was just fine.

The Deluxe and Premium versions have plenty of issues which is why I stayed away from them and picked up the P5K-E. My point wasn't to "hide" the P5K Series, it was to say the P5K-E is just fine.

I'll try to be a bit more clear in the future.

OC Xtreme Review

Ebuyer Review

Thread at Xtreme

Hardware Secrets Review
December 18, 2007 10:15:13 AM

:) 
cnumartyr said:
The Deluxe and Premium versions have plenty of issues which is why I stayed away from them and picked up the P5K-E.



This is what I was trying to warn the OP about, maybe I should have said the problems are with the Deluxe and Premium versions. My bad. :) 
December 18, 2007 11:05:50 AM

systemlord said:
:) 


This is what I was trying to warn the OP about, maybe I should have said the problems are with the Deluxe and Premium versions. My bad. :) 


Atleast we got that confusion cleared up. :kaola: 
December 18, 2007 8:08:58 PM

I even heard some of the premium boards didnt even detect SATA hdd's thats all bad...

Besides the -E is the best features/price board in the lineup anyways
December 22, 2007 2:45:51 AM

ok, after reading reviews for several days, i just arrived with the following specs: (performance and price for video

editing, design, gaming, and other applications)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G0 SLA9V Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775
(any ecommendations are well appreciated)

Motherboard: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX or P5K-E/WiFi-AP
GIGABYTES LGA 775 GA-X38-DQ6 or GA-P35-DS3
MSI LGA 775 X38 Diamond/Platinum or P35 Neo2 - FR/FIR
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
(any recommendations are well appreciated) (CRUCIAL OR GEIL)

Graphics: XFX/EVGA/PNY/BFG NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI

Supported
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Display: SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (max res 1680x1050)
SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (max res 1440x900)
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Case & PSU: Antec Sonata III 500W (any recommendations are well appreciated)

OS: Windows XP Professional (32-bit)

Thanks for helping
December 22, 2007 3:52:40 AM

markclaysius said:
ok, after reading reviews for several days, i just arrived with the following specs: (performance and price for video

editing, design, gaming, and other applications)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G0 SLA9V Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775
(any ecommendations are well appreciated)

Motherboard: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX or P5K-E/WiFi-AP
GIGABYTES LGA 775 GA-X38-DQ6 or GA-P35-DS3
MSI LGA 775 X38 Diamond/Platinum or P35 Neo2 - FR/FIR
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
(any recommendations are well appreciated) (CRUCIAL OR GEIL)

Graphics: XFX/EVGA/PNY/BFG NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI

Supported
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Display: SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (max res 1680x1050)
SAMSUNG 906BW Black 19" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (max res 1440x900)
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
(any recommendations are well appreciated)

Case & PSU: Antec Sonata III 500W (any recommendations are well appreciated)

OS: Windows XP Professional (32-bit)

Thanks for helping


Great choice on the E6750, I have seen these OC very well. As for the mobo I can only suggest the Asus P5E because so many have been sold without problems (except for some recent BIOS releases) and because I have one and to date has never yet failed an OC attemt.

Everytime I have OC my proceesor has been met with success. Also for memory I must insist on Crucial's Ballistix DDR2 800 or 1066 for the Ram. My Ram will easy make it to 1200MHz at just 2.2 volts, most other Ram have to use 2.3-2.4 volts for the same speed. They also will hit CAS 3 at 800MHz.


I have to recommend EVGA here for the graphics card, geat customer service and the 90 day step-up program. Funny thing but today I was looking at both the Samsung 906BW black 20" 2ms and the 226BW black 22" 2 ms side by side and the 226BW 22" seems to have a quicker response time, the 906BW is an older model than the 226BW. I can't help but recommend a Raptor 74 or 150 GB HDD, because they make your whole system much more responsive and with HDD still being the biggest bottleneck in any system you can't beat a Raptor.

For the case I have to recommend something with better airflow, either the Antec 900 or Thermaltake Armor series. Good luck on your new system build! :D 
December 22, 2007 5:14:33 AM

ok so
Cpu Cooling- ive got a zalman 9500 AT which keeps my q6600 extremly cool!!! im sitting on 9x333= 3ghz at 35C idle and 50C with 4 instances of prime95 running (1 each core) and its extremely stable :) 

Case - P190 will not dissapoint unless you want a mobo lid that folds out. other than that, very well designed modular system :) 

PSU - im running 620w corsair HX and it pulls very well with an 8800gt (OC'd aswell)

Sound Card - ive got a ds3r gigabyte mobo and the onboard is great but if you want that little bit extra processing power (as if you'd need it unless your running crysis with all 4 cores - please correct me if it already uses 4 cores).

Im in love with my system and if you begin with a solid mobo, q6600 and an 8800gt with an ok fan, your set for the next 3-4 years (at least i think.)

P.S. ive got a samsung 226bw 'a' model and if you calibrate it correctly - perfection! lol. if needed try to get an 's' model though, or just get a 2232 model :) 

hope this helps!
December 22, 2007 7:50:13 AM

See my reply over at ExtremeTech.
!