Which 8800GT to buy?

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Which 8800Gt should i buy, Is there any real difference between the different makes?
I have selected some im interested in

http://www.xpertvision.com/en/products/nv_pcie_8800GT.html
Xpertvision 8800GT
Around £155

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=57&sub_id=150
Sparkle 8800GT
Around £165

http://www.club3d.nl/index.php/products/graphics/item/296
Club3d 8800GT
Around £150

Which do you think i should look at? or should i go for something like XFX / Asustek etc.

Will they go down in price after christmas do you think? Thanks for the help.

Tom

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Go with the eVGA 8800GT KO. Its the fastest card besides the GT SSC. Also go with eVGA for two very good reasons. 1st you get a lifetime warranty,2nd you can use you new card or cards for eVGAs step up program. You get to use the card or cards for 90days and can step up to a newer card as long as you do it before the 90 days are up. eVGA pays you exactly what you paid for your card less shipping fees. Plus they have the best support around and stand by their products.I own two of their 8800 Ultras and also two of their 8800 GT KOs and have never had a problem with either set of cards.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
^ wtf? 8800gt and 8800gts are completely different cards. The op asked which of the cards he posted was the best. Go for the one with the best warranty.

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Saying the new GTS is better than all the new GTs is wrong. They did not test the GTS against the Superclocked, KO, or SSC GTs. They just compared it to a stock GT. My KOs have higher clocks all they way around compared to the new GTS. Dont get me wrong it is a very good card,but i truly belive the KO and SSC GT versions will beat the new GTS hands down. CoolIt Systems just sent me thier new Boreas 12 TEC chiiler for testing and review. but at this time they do not have a water block designed for the 8800GTs, so ill just be testing the cooling power to the processor. [ QX6850 ] Once the blocks have been manufactured ill be able to see just how far the GT can be pushed. Also,maybe by that time the new 9000series GTX will be out. I just tested and did the review on the new Freezone Elite with my friend Jake. CoolIt got it right this time around. The Elite kept a QX6800 that was OCed to 3.51 GHz very cool. It never went over 34c underload while on high. The 120mm x 120cfm fan and the new cooling fin design make the Elite one mean cooler. We wanted to push the QX higher,but had a motherboard problem,and did not have time to get it replaced before the review was posted.

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
IMHO go with an eVGA card. They have great customer service should you ever need it. also, go with a stock card. No sense in paying the extra for the factory OCed card when you can do it yourself. I have my stock gt at Superclocked specs on a stock cooler (to be fair, my shader clock is 28 ticks lower, but my memory is 50 over), rock solid.

Save the cash, get the cheaper card, then spread a little DIY all over it to make it run how you like.

migsousa

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
hi i just buy a Xpertvision 8800GT but i'm geting 5889 on 3d mark06 on 1280 by 1024 well i need help here please my rig is amd 4200 x2 is overclok to 2.8 on watercooling, asus A8N-SLI deluxe but with A8N-SLI Premium Beta BIOS 1302 , to 2gbyte of corsair twinx 4400and a unregista windows xp.

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
^ thats a different subject - perhaps if you were to put your thoughts on the card??

Im not afraid to overclock , although i have never tried to oc a gpu before.

A standard evga 8800GT is around £170, but if this comes weith lifetime warrenty then its worth the extra money. Also is there any point in the step-up program, as you end up paying the same amount of money.

wwwayne

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Gainward has just released an 8800GT 1GB version in both overclocked and standard versions.

Both have (two slot) custom cooling systems which look quite good, with the Golden Sample OC version cooler showing some heatpipes that the stock-clocked one doesn't, suggesting it is better cooled again.

For high-res gaming it looks like it could be worth the extra for the cooling, extra memory and possibly the overclock for even better cooling out of the box. Plus it should still be shorter than the (G92) GTS.

Can't find any reviews yet, since it's pretty new and appeared rather quietly at this stage. Could be a good card especially for single card buyers, and hopefully cooler and quieter to boot.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

You win a prize for the worst attempt ever to hijack someone else's thread :non: