Sign in with
Your question

Halfprice Phenoms !!

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2007 12:04:25 PM

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/17/...

Gee ... a big price cut on the way !!

Now your talking !!

If they are half the price of a QX6600 then thats a good deal.

More about : halfprice phenoms

December 17, 2007 1:04:57 PM

Wow, I was going with Q6600 in my new rig, but this changes everything. Considering I will be using it mostly for gaming at 1900x1200, speed of the processor is not hugely important. Now if I could just get my hands on two 3870's...

Doubtful however that resellers will lower prices on Phenom to that of X2. I can see maybe 10% discount, but places like NewEgg will still keep the price jacked up far above wholesale simply because it's newer and in-demand.
December 17, 2007 1:26:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, according to german site Planet3DNow.de, in a move that shocks no-one, the AMD channel has spamazed customers with an email stating that they will be able to purchase from them Phenom CPUs at the cost of current dual-core CPUs. Black Edition 9500, 9600 and 9700(?) will also become available. The feeding frenzy starts effective today, let’s just hope resellers pass on the savings to the consumers.

:lol: . o O (spamazed... is that really a werd... you could use in scrabble?)

Sounds like a liquidation sale.
Related resources
December 17, 2007 1:28:22 PM

Quite a smart move by AMD. Flush out those stockpiles of errata-ridden (read: defective) cpus and get people to buy AM2(+) boards. Once the customers are caught in the spiders web (read: hooked on the platform) they can upgrade it with working or improved CPUs later.
Way better than driving those chips to the desert and crushing them under steel tracks.

Fun aside, i would be seriously interested in knowing how serious that TLB bug really is. How often does it occur? What applications increase the likelyhood of it showing up? And i don't want those "rarely" statements. Numbers, numbers, numbers.
And what exactly are the consequences of the bug? A lock-up? Data Corruption? A slowdown?
December 17, 2007 1:45:19 PM

It would be meaningless no matter how low the price tag if what we can see is a sold-out tag beside...
December 17, 2007 1:49:08 PM

Could be true, but the Inquirer is known for teiling porkies
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2007 2:12:03 PM

Wow! Cool! Nothing like a pre/post Christmas price drop! :bounce:  I hope this trickles down to the X2 line.

The new 790FX motherboard from DFI just became available on Newegg. This mobo paired with a 6400BE or 5000BE and a shiny new 8800GT or 8800GTS would make for a nice upgradeable gaming machine.

Interesting indeed...

December 17, 2007 2:32:48 PM

Now this has some possibilities. I had really looked forward to the Phenom. Even realizing before its release that it wasn't going to perform in the top end like Intel chips, it would be a good step up from what I have. But then it became apparent that the Phenom is a pig that may well be slower than my current overclocked 4400+ cpu. No matter how much its dressed up, or how cheap the price gets, its still a pig. Maybe, just maybe, a 9700 Black Edition model would be worth it if the cost was low enough, but that's a big Maybe, and a big IF.

The only answer I've come up with to date is getting the DFI board and an AM2 5000+ BE, just as Chunky writes, especially if the AM2 chips come down in price a bit. Then if (a big IF) a later Phenom comes out that is fixed and performs decently, I can upgrade to that.

Or I could spend a bunch more money and get an Intel powered rig that I know will scream.
December 17, 2007 2:39:52 PM

sailer said:
Or I could spend a bunch more money and get an Intel powered rig that I know will scream.

Or you could get both!
December 17, 2007 2:40:33 PM

Why would you buy a phenom unless your building a budget system?
Intel has a 6 core cpu due out soon, that means qx6600 cpu will drop again in price.
December 17, 2007 2:42:48 PM

I want to know if they're doing this just to get rid of the defective phenom chip's or if they plan to actually sell the fixed version's at that price as well?

That would mean you could but a quad core for around $170!!

That's insane..
December 17, 2007 2:54:46 PM

xx12amanxx said:
I want to know if they're doing this just to get rid of the defective phenom chip's or if they plan to actually sell the fixed version's at that price as well?

That would mean you could but a quad core for around $170!!

That's insane..

Plan on selling at that price. Because Intel will be releasing Yorkfield based Quads at around that price range and around the same clocks.

Yorkfield > Phenom.

Intel's 45nm Quad's will further increase profits for Intel. AMD is in a world of hurt right now. I might buy a Phenom just to say I own the most over-hyped blunder ever.
December 17, 2007 3:05:20 PM

so, are these defective as in, they crash your computer, or are they defective as in, can't reach the right clock speeds?
December 17, 2007 3:10:28 PM

spuddyt said:
so, are these defective as in, they crash your computer, or are they defective as in, can't reach the right clock speeds?

Under certain circumstances, they crash repeatedly. Often needing a fix applied which disables the TLB (Translation Lookaside Buffer: a small cache used to temporarily store calculation answers for quicker re-access mainly used to improve the speed of virtual address translation).

Think of it as the memory option on a calculator ;) 

So ~20% performance drop when the TLB patch/fix is applied.
a c 159 à CPUs
December 17, 2007 3:20:04 PM

If phenom can't compete performance wise with the q6600, then a low power model is what I want. The 1.7 barcelona only used 55 watts; too bad they don't have any phenoms that energy efficient. Not everyone needs top performance.
December 17, 2007 3:47:04 PM

Just so you everyone knows i dont really care about who is faster right now...I already know. I think this move will help them out more than anything. Noone knows how much it actually costs to make a single chip so selling them at 170 dollars is i believe a good move! There is WAYY too much intel fanboism on this site! I want just casual intellectual discussion!
So in short can everyone just shut up about how much intel is better! Im trying to learn here and i want to hear from people who really know what they are talking about. But its damn near impossible with all the 15 year old babble!
Hope this doesnt piss off the good imformative guru's im eager to read what these guys and girls have to say!
December 17, 2007 3:52:17 PM

xx12amanxx said:
Just so you everyone knows i dont really care about who is faster right now...I already know. I think this move will help them out more than anything. Noone knows how much it actually costs to make a single chip so selling them at 170 dollars is i believe a good move! There is WAYY too much intel fanboism on this site! I want just casual intellectual discussion!
So in short can everyone just shut up about how much intel is better! Im trying to learn here and i want to hear from people who really know what they are talking about. But its damn near impossible with all the 15 year old babble!
Hope this doesnt piss off the good imformative guru's im eager to read what these guys and girls have to say!

The cost to manufacture is an issue, not to consumers at this point, but when AMD mismanages itself into bankruptancy it will be an issue for everyone!

And yes, Phenom performance sucks when compaired to Intel.
December 17, 2007 3:54:31 PM

xx12amanxx said:

The informed are currently pushing Intel products. Therefore those guru's you're talking about... well they include myself.

I'd like to think that there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Or should I be a tad more politically correct and sugar coat the cold hard facts?

Read my post above.. quite informative.
Under certain circumstances, they crash repeatedly. Often needing a fix applied which disables the TLB (Translation Lookaside Buffer: a small cache used to temporarily store calculation answers for quicker re-access mainly used to improve the speed of virtual address translation).

So ~20% performance drop when the TLB patch/fix is applied. said:

So ~20% performance drop when the TLB patch/fix is applied.
December 17, 2007 4:32:14 PM

AnGeLuS69 said:
The informed are currently pushing Intel products. Therefore those guru's you're talking about... well they include myself.

I'd like to think that there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. Or should I be a tad more politically correct and sugar coat the cold hard facts?

Read my post above.. quite informative.

Yep your right...And TC we all know phenom suck's big time!...And theres nothing wrong with pushing a good reliable product!

Just soo much thoughtless bashing going on not just in here but all over this site!...Where's all the other little updates and such that can be found on other sites? AMD does have a roadmap as far as im concerned..Even though i will admit im not as half as hardware savy as some of you.
I just wish topic's would stay tech only and not delve into personal opinion's and spectulation...Makes it hard for us newb's to put the peices together.

Anyway i enjoy reading both you and TC post's and alway's stop to see what you guy's have to say when i come across them( among many other's) Its pretty obvious who the imformative ones are around here!
December 17, 2007 5:16:58 PM

I thought the bug in the Phenoms would only cause a crash under extreme load testing that could virtually ONLY happen in lab settings? ie., it's not a problem that 99.9% of end users would ever see, isn't that right?
December 17, 2007 5:27:53 PM

It's The Inquirer. Enough said.
December 17, 2007 5:57:49 PM

jevon said:
I thought the bug in the Phenoms would only cause a crash under extreme load testing that could virtually ONLY happen in lab settings? ie., it's not a problem that 99.9% of end users would ever see, isn't that right?

Yeah, they are buggy, but they're not going to be locking up as some people have suggested...
There is no way they could be released like that!
If I hadn't just bought a 6000+ and the same reductions are available in the UK I'd consider one :) 
I think I'll wait until there is 2.6 or higher
December 17, 2007 6:03:20 PM

jevon said:

That correct and o how shortly do we forget the full year intel keep quite the need for a bios fix for C2D. If AMD would have said nothing no one in the consumer market would have know phenom was affected. On quad core optimized code the phenom is the 5th fastest consumer cpu right behind the Q6600 so its a good buy just not currently as good as Q6600. That being said the Q6600's price for performance is unbeatable by any CPU costing more than $180.

Want is interesting here is how AMD as shifted its price much like Intel's. Charging some what high for the chipset and bargain pricing its CPU's.
December 17, 2007 6:22:13 PM

LukeBird said:
Yeah, they are buggy, but they're not going to be locking up as some people have suggested...
There is no way they could be released like that!
If I hadn't just bought a 6000+ and the same reductions are available in the UK I'd consider one :) 
I think I'll wait until there is 2.6 or higher

Actually, that is what AMD's PR department said.

However, AMD has lied about everything in regards to these chips.
From the nature of the L3 Defect to the speed of the NB.

The chips they gave reviewers just a couple days before launch where significantly different than the chips they
had already shipped to suppliers and did not alert the reviewers to the changes which significantly hurt performance,

If they slash the price in 1/2, then these chips are decent for some folks, but not quite sure the exact segment.
They are slower Clock for Clock than X2s due to the change in the NB speed since the original ES Sample reviews and slow down even more when the TLB patch is applied. Since the X2 chips not only are faster clock for clock but have a higher clock, they will be much faster.

In regards to most gaming and home uses, only two cores are used which will put the X2 far ahead in most areas.
For some limited functions that use quad cores, it will slip ahead but likely not much due to the large cap in Clock speed and work per clock.

However, AMD needs to get rid of these defective chips somehow, and as others have stated, better to sell them at 1/2 price than melt them down. Just so long as the buyer knows what they are getting.

Hopefully, the B3 will be decent chips.
December 17, 2007 6:44:33 PM

Yeah that's what I thought. I know the guys over @ Anandtech used a retail Phenom for their tests (they didn't want to be part of the AMD supervised reviewer day thing), and even with all the stress tests they did on a buggy Phenom, they couldn't get it to crash. I agree the defective models need to be dealt with ASAP, but I mean for vast majority it really doesn't mean much (unless you apply the fix, which comes with a performance hit.. so I dunno why anyone would do that, or not turn it off in BIOS if they just bought a Phenom since I think they're suppose to ship now with the fix automatically enabled).
December 17, 2007 6:58:28 PM

AMD needs to recall/replace the original chips it shipped - or, at least, offer a 50% rebate. If not, I can see a class-action suit coming.

If this article is true, they are screwing the early adopters -i.e. the one's who believe in AMD.
December 17, 2007 7:08:50 PM

exit2dos said:
AMD needs to recall/replace the original chips it shipped - or, at least, offer a 50% rebate. If not, I can see a class-action suit coming.

If this article is true, they are screwing the early adopters -i.e. the one's who believe in AMD.

I agree :) 
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2007 7:15:19 PM

^Agred. :lol:  :) 
December 17, 2007 7:25:02 PM

If I remember, Apple pulled this twice, once with that 8000 dollar desktop from way back and just recently the iPhone. There were lots of PO'd people.
December 17, 2007 7:52:05 PM

chunkymonster said:
Wow! Cool! Nothing like a pre/post Christmas price drop! :bounce:  I hope this trickles down to the X2 line.

The new 790FX motherboard from DFI just became available on Newegg. This mobo paired with a 6400BE or 5000BE and a shiny new 8800GT or 8800GTS would make for a nice upgradeable gaming machine.

Interesting indeed...

And that's the best mobo out there. It's so good Sapphire just took it and rebranded it. DFI is known as the OCers mobo. But it will be awhile before the 9500 drops in price. The 9600 is not dropping. But a $200 quad is irresistible.
December 17, 2007 8:38:36 PM

BaronMatrix said:
And that's the best mobo out there. It's so good Sapphire just took it and rebranded it. DFI is known as the OCers mobo. But it will be awhile before the 9500 drops in price. The 9600 is not dropping. But a $200 quad is irresistible.

Funny, easilly resisting here..:p 

On a more serious note, you're indeed correct when reffering to DFI as great overclocking motherboards (at least traditionally) but you're forgetting one VERY important piece of the puzzle. Now that piece is so important it actually renders a highly overclockable motherboard useless. The CPU must be equally overclockable. In the case of Phenom that is umm not the case at all at least it isn't right now with TLB bug infested 65nm variants.
December 17, 2007 8:53:44 PM

Is this a going out of business sale? :heink: 
December 17, 2007 9:01:34 PM

caamsa said:
Is this a going out of business sale? :heink: 

Are you feeling OK!? LOL That made me laugh!
December 17, 2007 9:10:04 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Are you feeling OK!? LOL That made me laugh!

You are right, I am usually much funnier than that.

My problem is if I purchased another computer part I think my wife would shoot me.

Dang TC you are in the forums being a fact boy but you are not helping out the rest of the poor unfortunate souls who are asking for advice. I have had my work cut out for me. I suggested that someone do a build around a E6750 and I picked out all the parts for him but he instead went with the suggestion of the E2180 and a bare bones system. I thought my build was much better.

My next cpu purchase will be an octo-core.
December 17, 2007 9:11:38 PM

BaronMatrix said:

Does that mean you've finally bought one? :pfff: 

I'm still considering one, I think my toaster is on the fritz again.
December 17, 2007 9:18:04 PM

Quote:
Everyone better hope not. An Intel cpu monopoloy would cost us all a lot of money. No competition means Intel can charge what they want. There would be no such thing as price drops anymore, and none of us would be able to afford fast processors.

I hope AMD does not go out of business. I would be very upset. The worst I think will happen is maybe AMD will be bought out by another company.

Just imagine if the only choice you had was Intell...........kinda scary....... :cry: 

Then what the hell would we all argue about :lol: 

The forums would go silent and TC would loose his job as fact boy. :ouch: 

Barron would probably end up at a psyc ward in a straight jacket... :pt1cable: 

Now i'm depressed.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2007 9:45:14 PM

Not from the most reliable site........ but ............ almost believable :)  :lol:  :lol: 
December 17, 2007 9:48:47 PM

Well, if u cant sell ur chips, GIVE THEM AWAY!!
December 17, 2007 10:38:40 PM

Well, at a guess, these are the defective stepping. For AMD to even be considering reducing the price by half for their new flagship processor is disturbing....the margins at price.....just plain scary.....

Easier to unload the defective products to try and reclaim some of the investment, then when they get the B3 or B4 or B5068.....(which ever stepping it takes) to finally function reliably, just rebadge it as a new series, Phenom 9550, 9650, 9750 or Phenom II 9600, 9700, etc, and re-release it at the original prices.

If this report is true, then regardless of whether these prices are for defective chips or the new line, it is indicative of desperation. To cut prices by half, on a brand new product, without another newer product superceding it....well.....someone else can buy one and let me know how it works out. I dont want to be the "test pilot" on that ride. The old story of "if it sounds to good to be true, then it is"
a c 126 à CPUs
December 17, 2007 10:55:37 PM

I already built my newest rig. Even if Phenom came out for
$50 for a 9700 I would rather go with a Q6600 as it may cost more but you wont need to buy another CPU later for better performance. You can but a Q6600 will OC to 3GHz and run everything like crazy.

Now you know if AMD gets the B3's working right and there is no morw TLB bug and they do compete with a Q6600 or even better they wont sell them for that cheap. If they do all I can say is one thing. They will be bankrupt faster than Enron.
December 18, 2007 12:42:27 AM

mrmez said:
Well, if u cant sell ur chips, GIVE THEM AWAY!!

Give them away! Yes, I'll take one at that price! :sol:  In fact, I'd take four, one for each computer in the office and one for my gamer. At that price, I don't care if I fry it while experimenting.
December 18, 2007 1:32:34 AM

Who said anything about 1/2 price? I think The INQ have their dancing shoes on again.

If you check online prices such as Newegg, the Phenom 9500 is down to $200, and the 9600 down to $245. These cuts are in line with the 10% cut according to Fudzilla: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

So it seems Fudzilla has overtaken The INQ in terms of credibility... :lol: 
December 18, 2007 1:50:30 AM

Maybe Newegg is a day behind in the pricing. Or maybe they have a bunch of Phenoms they paid a lot for already and they aren't going to drop the price until that stock is sold. Doesn't matter much, as I won't be buying one. Even if they came out for $100, a $130 5000+ BE would still beat them at stock speed, and the 5000+ BE is very overclockable.
December 18, 2007 1:52:18 AM

caamsa said:
Well here you go kids..........

$200.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

get em while they last.

Annnnnnd free 3 day shipping. Almost makes me wanna whip out the ol' credit card and click "Buy Now". Hmmm. Still, For $60 more bucks I could get a much better Q6600.

EDIT: Actually now that i think of it I'd liek to be the first THG Phenom owner. bench it against my E4500 and see who comes out on top. If the Phenom fails at impressing me, I shall just return it. What do you all think?
December 18, 2007 2:01:26 AM

justinmcg67 said:
Annnnnnd free 3 day shipping. Almost makes me wanna whip out the ol' credit card and click "Buy Now". Hmmm. Still, For $60 more bucks I could get a much better Q6600.

EDIT: Actually now that i think of it I'd liek to be the first THG Phenom owner. bench it against my E4500 and see who comes out on top. If the Phenom fails at impressing me, I shall just return it. What do you all think?

You wanna bench a quad core chip against a dual core? :whistle: 

December 18, 2007 2:02:28 AM

justinmcg67 said:

EDIT: Actually now that i think of it I'd like to be the first THG Phenom owner. bench it against my E4500 and see who comes out on top. If the Phenom fails at impressing me, I shall just return it. What do you all think?

Yes! Just what we need, a Phenom testing sucker, I mean, guinea pig. Buy it, bench it, overclock it, fry it; then report your findings so that we can all know how well it performs. Then, after having a good laugh, you can return it and we can know better then to make the mistake ourselves.
December 18, 2007 2:03:55 AM

justinmcg67 said:

Give it a decent chance though.

Decent 790 FX chipset.
!