kaycee73501

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Ok I was downloading Linux's Ubuntu Program and my computer crashed in the meddle of the download. Did it crash do to the age of the motherboard it is at least 8 years old I have power to the power supply but the comupter is still off. Did the computer crash or did the program crash my windows xp and motherboard. Are there anyother file readers out there that will read a non-accessable director?

Try clearing the bios first.
If the fans and hard drives are spinning, it might be the motherboard.
Remove the motherboard with the CPU, put it on a piece of cardboard, power it up, listen for beeps and keep adding components until you find the fault that causes no beep.
Try replacing spare parts to find the fault.
You could just have a bad hard drive, if the computer posts.
Please elaborate on the status of the computer.

kaycee73501

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Lets See the only thing that I can say on that is the only thing at this point that work on it is the power supply. I have changed out everything tring to get it to work it just off all other fans on the computer work but the one that runs off the motherboard.

kaycee73501

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Victor Sorry I don't get what your saying should I put my hard drive in an external case and hook it too a computer, that still dosen't fix the files that the hard drive won't let me access which is the information that I need off the drive

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you haven't already, try this simple thing. Unplug the computer from the wall, and leave it that way for at least 5-10 minutes. Plug back in. Now try the front power pushbutton.

I've had crashes that somehow manage to confuse the BIOS. Even though the computer is "Off", in fact the power is on and a small part of the BIOS is checking for a power button push to signal a start-up. But if it's all confused from the crash this monitoring process fails. A complete cold power-off-then-on, with a pause in between to be SURE the power is off and not just maintained by PSU capacitors, can reset the BIOS to its normal state. Note this is NOT the same at the complete special "Reset the BIOS" procedure that requires shorting out two pins on a mobo connector.

kaycee73501

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
I can access the drive and most of the director are accessable but the one drive that I really need the information off of tells me access denied I need a good recovery program that will work.