Motherboard: Gigabyte X-38 DQ6
CPU: Q6600 G0
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W Modular
RAM: Geil 2GB 800mhz
CPU FAN: ASUS Silent Square Pro
Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline

Idle temps:

cputempjm4.jpg

Aren't they too high for an ASUS Silent Square Pro? Also, its normal that each core as a different temp?

Thanks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Its normal for different cores to be at a different temp. Even my dual core, there's a 2-3C difference reading.

But when both my cores are on a load, they are the same or off by 1C.

Also, your ambient temps would have an affect on them, as well as airflow.

Try putting a load on them to determine if your in the safe zone.

Edit:

And I'd say your basically at a normal temp for idle.

mrbbq

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Looks a bit high to me. Here are mines overclocked to 3.6 idle. I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme on it tho.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
What is your ambient temp? (both of you guys)

Thing is, other people temps can or will be higher compared to others, if theres a lack of airflow and cool ambient temps.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Idle temps are not really that important (As long as they are not ridiculously high). Load temps are what you want to be more concerned with.

Those idle temps are fine. Relax.

mrbbq

Distinguished
May 27, 2007

Ambient is 20 C here

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Heh... I wish people would include that temp to get a better understanding of what is actually going on.

But then, sometimes you really can't be too sure of what the actual ambient temps are. I generally use a hand held IR thermometer, which can still be off by 2+/- degrees.

Now the reason I asked, is because you say his looks abit high. Now if his cores were idling at 50-55C at idle, then there would be a concern, that would be more of an indication of improper installation of the HS, (usually the stock HSF) high ambient temps or really bad airflow.

If your ambient temp is around 27-28C, your not going to have low idle temps like your machine is reading. Also there's always that chance that the sensor are not reading correctly or not calibrated right.

So all I'm trying to say is don't jump to conclusions, just because you may have lower temps then what other people have.

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
very true... there are people on here that boast about crazy low temperatures. One thing to keep in mind is: even liquid cooling is cooled with air. The liquid just takes the heat away from the heat spreader more efficiently, but the water is cooled with air usually. So even water cooled rigs will be affected by ambient temperatures.