Upgraded hardware, using same HD with WinXP . Doesn't work..

Hi all.

I've just upgraded my computer to a Pentium4 3.0Mhz 512MB RAM.
But I'm using the same HD with WinXP Professional I used in the old
computer. During the inicialization procedure, the compter freezes in a
black window with some options (sorry about the English...):

"Security Mode"
Security Mode with lan support
Security Mode with command prompt
Normal Inicialization
Last valid confguration

Well, none of these options works ok. Computer boots up every attempt.

I've tryed a boot disk of win98, but I can't see the NTFS partition C:, only
the fat32 partition D: , renamed as unit C:

I can't star WinXP and I'm affraid of formating NTFS partition with win98
boot disk. Besides, there are a lot of files in C: (NTFS) partition that I
cant access !

Any help ?

Is there a boot disc for WinXP that allow me to access the NTFS partition so
that I can copy my files to Fat32 partition ??

[ ]'s

Ana Eliza Aladim wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've just upgraded my computer to a Pentium4 3.0Mhz 512MB RAM.
> But I'm using the same HD with WinXP Professional I used in the old
> computer. During the inicialization procedure, the compter freezes in a
> black window with some options (sorry about the English...):

You now need to do a repair install of your XP. Your XP install was
configured for the old hardware. A repair install will force XP to
redetect the hardware and you should then be able to boot normally.

> "Security Mode"
> Security Mode with lan support
> Security Mode with command prompt
> Normal Inicialization
> Last valid confguration
>
> Well, none of these options works ok. Computer boots up every attempt.
>
> I've tryed a boot disk of win98, but I can't see the NTFS partition C:, only
> the fat32 partition D: , renamed as unit C:
>
> I can't star WinXP and I'm affraid of formating NTFS partition with win98
> boot disk. Besides, there are a lot of files in C: (NTFS) partition that I
> cant access !
>
> Any help ?
>
> Is there a boot disc for WinXP that allow me to access the NTFS partition so
> that I can copy my files to Fat32 partition ??

Not included with XP no, but as stated above a repair install of XP
should fix the problem.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Thanks Tom, but how can I do that ?? I'm not an expert...

Ana Eliza Aladim wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've just upgraded my computer to a Pentium4 3.0Mhz 512MB RAM.
> But I'm using the same HD with WinXP Professional I used in the old
> computer. During the inicialization procedure, the compter freezes in a
> black window with some options (sorry about the English...):
>
> "Security Mode"
> Security Mode with lan support
> Security Mode with command prompt
> Normal Inicialization
> Last valid confguration
>
> Well, none of these options works ok. Computer boots up every attempt.
>
> I've tryed a boot disk of win98, but I can't see the NTFS partition C:, only
> the fat32 partition D: , renamed as unit C:
>
> I can't star WinXP and I'm affraid of formating NTFS partition with win98
> boot disk. Besides, there are a lot of files in C: (NTFS) partition that I
> cant access !
>
> Any help ?
>
> Is there a boot disc for WinXP that allow me to access the NTFS partition so
> that I can copy my files to Fat32 partition ??

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:04:41 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
>BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
>new motherboard - check yours before starting),

How can I check this Bruce?

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Hi, John.

Did you buy WinXP and install it from CD-ROM yourself? Or was WinXP
pre-installed on the computer before it was first sold at retail? If so,
then it almost certainly is an OEM license and can't be moved to a different
computer - even if the "different computer" is the old shell with
significant new components.

One way to check is to simply press <Win>+<Break>. That is, hold down the
Windows logo key and press the Pause/Break key. The System Properties
window should pop up on your screen. Under Registered to, you should see
your 20-character number. If this includes the letters "OEM", then you have
an OEM license.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

John Latter wrote:

> How can I check this Bruce?

Ask the manufacturer of the computer whether or not their OEM
installation or recovery CD is BIOS-locked to a specific motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:11:33 -0500, "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net>
wrote:

>Hi, John.
>
>Did you buy WinXP and install it from CD-ROM yourself? Or was WinXP
>pre-installed on the computer before it was first sold at retail? If so,
>then it almost certainly is an OEM license and can't be moved to a different
>computer - even if the "different computer" is the old shell with
>significant new components.
>
>One way to check is to simply press <Win>+<Break>. That is, hold down the
>Windows logo key and press the Pause/Break key. The System Properties
>window should pop up on your screen. Under Registered to, you should see
>your 20-character number. If this includes the letters "OEM", then you have
>an OEM license.
>
>RC

Thanks RC - its OEM :(

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:42:16 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>John Latter wrote:
>

>> How can I check this Bruce?
>>

> Ask the manufacturer of the computer whether or not their OEM
>installation or recovery CD is BIOS-locked to a specific motherboard.

Thankyou Bruce.