GA P35-DS3L and speedfan

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
im trying to control the speed of the casing fans. i have the cooler master Centurion 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077 n i wish to control the fan speed of intake 80mm and 120mm flowing out of the case. i can see the speed of the three fans. 80, 120 and cpu. but yet i cant reduce it using speed fan.

my fans are connected to the motherboard.

untitled-4.jpg

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
my cpu fan is PWM. and it is unabled in the bios as "PWM" yet it cant be controlled by speedfan.

the other two fans. are built in with the casing, so im not sure if they are pwm or not.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
3-pin fans are *not* PWM (pulse width modulation) and are not software controllable. The DS3L has two 4-pin fan headers and two 3-pin. One 4-pin is for the CPU fan, the other is available.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

alright. SO i checked it.

cpu fan is 4 pin. connected to CPU fan - in my case, it is controlled by mobo's bios. n cant be changed using speed fan. (unless if i dont know how to use speed fan, n i used it with my old built n it worked).

the other two fans are 3 pin.

so this rise another question. total 2.

1-how to control my cpu fan using speedfan.

2-if i buy two new fans with 4 pins "pwm" hw can i add them since i got only one spare 4pin fan header.

NOT TRUE

I have been controlling NON PWM fans for a while. the controller on many 3 pin fans is still pwm based as well....

To control fans you have to first make sure any bios level fan control is OFF....or go under advanced and set software controlled...

I will do a quick test for 3 pin on the P35 gigabyte boards and post back with how to do it :)

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

alright. i was able to control the cpu fan speed. as nhobe said, just google it (sowwy).

but the same way i configured my cpu fan, wont work for the 3 pin fans. so ill wait ur reply nukemaster

I regret to inform you that for gigabyte, to save money on there lower end P35 boards, never quipped the boards with the needed electronics for fan speed control(even the board can only control the cpu fan)....

Very odd since even the cheapest Asus boards have it....

Sorry it looks like a fan controller will be needed.... or you would have to use the cpu fan header for a fan and run the cpu fan and a case fan at full speed......

Damn...note to self....don't assume. But its not a 4 pin thing since i controlled all the 3 pin fans on my P5W system

you may may be able to plug your loudest most annoying fan to the 2nd 4 pin connector(3 pin fans work....just plug it in right with the extra pin hanging over...the tab should align you...) and see if it is varied.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
right. ill try that. tho i dont think i need it as now. coz the loudest fan i have is my GT's. n i aint changing it till i feel that voiding warrenty wont hurt me. :) thats all for it for now. thanks guys for ur time n everything.