GA-8IHXP (rev 3.0) resistor broken

labgrav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I tried to install a new zalman cooler for the CPU but I used the wrong type of screws and I broke a small electronic component that was just above the CPU on the position labelled as "R916". I would like to know what this component was (probably a resistor) and the technical specifications of it so that I can replace it.
If anyone has the same board it would be a gift from heaven if he could give the code printed on the resistor.

I would like to add that gigabyte's support sucks!!!
2 years ago some capacitors on the board failed and although the board was still in warranty they were trying to avoid repair/replacement. Their local distributor would not provide any help. Same happens now. Gigabyte states that they cannot repair it (although I am willing to pay for the repair), they state they do not have stock on the specific board to send me one (again, I would pay for it) but the most frustrating is that when I asked for the technical specifications of the resistor to fix it on my own (as I had done with the capacitors) they said that they cannot give such information (it is company policy).

As I work in the PC industry (network and pc technician) I will NOT recommend Gigabyte to anyone from now on!!!

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Perhaps you should try being more careful with your aging components.

Pictures of the problem would definitely be helpful. Also a description of the size and shape of the broken component.

My recommendation is just trash the board/proc/video and go all new. You can get a 2GB RAM, 2.2GHz AMD proc, and a very nice motherboard all together for less than $200. Also, dependent on the video card you've got in that AGP slot, you might even have a more powerful GPU with some of the IGP's in those boards. If not, add another $80-100 and you'll be good to go with a 7600 or even an 8600 if you want to push it.

About your complaints against their technical support: they are unfounded. Paying for it or not, the technical knowhow required to fix the problems you described are way above and beyond the skill level of their repairmen. In fact, I doubt they have anyone actually "repairing" anything. They just send you a new one. Also, given your attitude here, I'm not surprised they gave you a hard time trying to get your replacement. I am also not surprised they don't have stock on your specific board, as it is nigh 6 years old.

Move on, get new stuff, and you'll have a better time of it.

labgrav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Elpresidente2075, you sound just like a Gigabyte representative and not like a fellow user. That is to begin with.
My attitude evolved to this one only after I read their replies. You seem to neglect the fact that they did not even help with the capacitors' problem that happened while the board was still in warranty.
About not having the specific mobo in stock, I am not surprised either. I expected them not to have one, but I had to ask. However what does surprise me is them not giving (knowing perhaps) the details I requested. I mean com' on guys, it's the manufacturer we are talking about here. If they do not know this, who does? They MUST know it.
I am trying to repair the old board for various reasons. If in the end I will have to buy a new system I will end up paying much more than you mentioned since I am not going to build a new system based on old technology.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
First, if you built the system I mentioned, none of the parts would be more than 6mos old. Second, the warranty issue is a little weird, but even then it was 3-4 years old and nearing the end of its warranty, if indeed it was still in warranty as you claim.

As for the information you requested, it is VERY likely that anyone you talked to in the company besides the engineers who developed it would not be able to give you the information due to not knowing what it is. As per the question for who does know, it is possible to find the specs from the markings on the piece that is in question. If indeed it is a resistor, google "resistor identification" or something of the like. There are many parts companies that can source those products for you.

Good luck with your new computer.

labgrav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I know about resistor codes, but unfortunately the old resistor was pulverized, so I do not know what it looked like. That is why I am asking if anyone has the same board. If I knew the details, I would have fixed it by now.
As for the warranty issue, the board WAS in warranty when I had the problem with the capacitors. It was about 2 years and some months old from the date I purchased it, and it had a 3 year warranty. Besides that, I had done a little research back then and I discovered that many companies were affected by that problem due to an industrial espionage issue. The thing was all around the web, you must have heard it. Many manufacturers did not officially accept that, but unofficially they always repaired or replaced their affected mobos. That's why now we have this "fashion wave" with the solid aluminium capacitors.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
The fact that I opted not to bring irrelevant information into the discussion does not imply ignorance of said information.

Good luck though on your endeavor. I hope you find what you are looking for.

labgrav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
FYI

Fixed it!!!

Just as I had given up hope, I found at a store a long forgotten rambus generation mobo from Gigabyte, that it also had the R916-positioned resistor. I made the switch of the resistor and I had POST after a long time.
It was an 102 (1000 Ohm) resistor after all.

:D :D :D

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
You know, just the other day I was wondering if you'd ever gotten what you were needing. It's good to see you've got it back together, and congratulations on your victory over hardware failure.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

dude how did you disoder that capasitor?

labgrav

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I do not know what disoder means, but if you mean detach from the mobo, then I used a gas-powered hot air torch.

wing

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

combustables

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
elpresidente and the last guy on here you guys needed to keep your big mouths shut. I read everything you said and it was all based on a listen to me attitude. Nieither of you seem knowledgable and can't spell either so next time shut the porlk up and only contribute IF you can with something meaningful Jerkys.

bilbat

Splendid
combustables -

I feel compelled to chime in in your support here...

I try to answer as many questions as I can here, both to be of service, and because I learn a lot of things that may be handy to me as I throw together the seven systems currently on my 'to be built' list. I have TRIED to overlook the ignorance, the egregious misspellings, the inability to form a grammatically correct sentence; sometimes I just can’t resist commenting. GOD forbid! The PC Police are always lurking to jump down your throat. I blame it mostly on the educational system, and the media.

Charles Murray (of ‘Bell Curve’ fame [or infamy, depending upon your attitude toward his revelations]) recently wrote a book about our education system, and its systemic failings; some of his points, I feel, are cogent to this matter, and bear repeating:

A. Half the population, BY DEFINITION, is BELOW AVERAGE! “You can lead a horse to water, but you CAN”T teach him calculus!” If you have minimal, or no, math skills; if you never did well in (or avoided completely) science courses – you probably SHOULDN’T be attempting to build a computer… The PC idiots have promoted the idea that everything (and everyone) is equal; that an PET scan (based on particle physics, and incredibly complex computer geometric analysis), Christian Science (based on faith that some possible omnipotent being will take responsibility to heal you), and homeopathic medicine (based on consuming poisonous ‘antidotes’ at dilutions beyond one molecule per MORE than the number of atoms in the WHOLE KNOWN UNIVERSE), are equally valid – are simply a difference of opinion. Well, I’m here to say that your opinion that your pile of parts SHOULD work together to somehow ‘become’ a computer will NOT make it function!
B. More than half the recent products of this educational system have an attention span that does not extend much beyond texting two lines of grammar-free nonsense full of ‘texting contractions’, which also means they have NO frustration tolerance. They’ve never been asked to ‘stretch’ their minds, to tackle something beyond their immediate grasp. Everything in their path has been so ‘dumbed-down’ that they assume any endeavor requiring more than an hour is somehow intrinsically faulty. I spent more than a hundred hours doing ‘due diligence’ research for my upcoming workstation build before ever ordering part one! These kids literally can’t imagine such an undertaking, much less believe that it might be necessary. They don’t ‘get’ the underlying math ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254636-30-memory-voltage ), and they petulantly “want what when they want it” – the fastest parts advertised, with no comprehension of what they’re paying for, or getting, or what may be required to make them function. The computer media contribute to this problem. Their articles (to suit their confirmed knowledge about their readership) are too short to contain adequate technical discussion to expose potential problems (which their average reader doesn’t want to have to try to read, anyway…); take a ‘cheer-leader’ approach [see 1 below] to make their advertisers happy; and often present a computer ‘build’ in less than two pages, making it appear as if getting a dozen or two disparate parts to function together was merely a matter of assembly. The underlying problem here is that, if the parts themselves were technically and electronically ‘dumbed-down’, to the point where anything would work with anything (which is certainly, in most cases, possible – I hardly ever answer a question about getting 667 RAM to work), there would be NO ‘high-performance’ systems – no real REASON to ‘roll your own’. You certainly can’t BUY the parts cheaper than Dell, when they order in ten or hundred thousand lots. Such a ‘dumbing-down’ of underlying specifications would eliminate the X48 MCH, PC-9600 RAM, and Q9660 CPUs – and what would remain as the point?
C. The PC police, based on this erroneous assumption of essential equivalency, will argue that poor grammar, and worse spelling don’t matter. But they DO! When I read a post full of jumbled ideas and ridden with unbelievable misspellings, I immediately know that I’m dealing with someone whose jumbled thinking and basic ignorance will become a problem, if not THE problem. (Try this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254649-30-ep35c-dsr3-problem ) If you don’t think this is FAIR (by the way – let me point out right here that LIFE is NOT fair), read Noam Chomsky to explore the relationship between command of language, and the ability to accurately manipulate abstract thoughts – they’re one and the same… You may not like those assumptions (and you might do well to give some thought to what a prospective employer will assume about your capabilities when you present him with an incomprehensible application full of misspellings, a bead in your nose, and an offensive tattoo on your wrist), but they are joined in reality by a high degree of statistical correlation; no amount of ‘opinion’, or ‘belief’, or ‘wish’, on your part will alter that correlation!

Sorry if I’ve offended (and I’m quite sure that I have), but every word can be confirmed just by going to New Egg’s ‘Eggspert’ forum and reading the posts!

1 – I used to subscribe to PC Magazine, as they were fairly technical, and basically honest in their reviewing. This was back during the days when the physical retrieval of a data stream from a hard drive was so slow, that there was much to be gained by doing LZW compression in hardware, on the way in and out. One day I received an issue in which they reviewed a drive controller card which they were never able to make work, although they tried it in several systems, and had access to a level of tech support from the manufacturer ( who, since, I am glad to report, has gone out of business) that no user could ever get – and they wound up giving it an eight or nine rating, out of a possible ten, BASED ON THE FEATURES LISTED ON THE BOX!!! Needless to say, that very day, I sent them my cancellation notice!