RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'm looking to build myself a new gaming computer and intend to put a Core 2 Duo E6550 and an 8800GT in it and I'm not sure what power supply I should look at getting. I have no intention of ever overclocking my system.

Corsair's 550W power supply seems to be very well thought of, but for $100, is it overkill for the system I'm looking at making? If so, what would be a better (cheaper) alternative?

Thanks!

Corsair is a good choice, especially if it still has a 5 year warranty. But most people won't wait for warranties anyway. I've used fortron and sparkle, but corsair is better for high end video cards. Avoid ultra. They're cheap for a reason.

Not that it makes any difference but the VX550 is a CWT oem.

RobertM525

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006

Would you say there is a better choice for a power supply under US$100? One that would power the aforementioned processor and video card.

The Corsair 450VX will be more than enough for your system. But since the 550VX is only $15 more after the rebate, it would make more sense to buy it since it means you have more breathing room for upgrades.

The main difference between the 450VX and the 550VX (other than the power) is that the 450VX is 80 PLUS certified. That means given any load, that PSU is guaranteed to operate at 80% or higher power efficiency. That means less power is drawn from the AC out and wasted as heat. Depending on how much you pay per KWH and how long the computer stays on, you might save up to $1 ($2 in extreme cases) per month on electricity compared to your typical PSU that was only up to 70% - 75% power efficient a couple of years ago.

The 550VX is not 80 PLUS certified, but it is rated at up to 85% efficient. The real range would probably be between 75% - 85% depending on the load.

If you really wanna save $15 immediately and have a slightly more environmentally friendly PSU with the possibility of saving maybe $0.50 - $1.00 on your monthly electricity bill, then buy the Corsair 450VX made by Seasonic.

Read jaguarskx's last post, it's all in there. :)

Okay, so I if was going to go cheaper, than I'd go with at least this:
Antec Earthwatt 430W 80-Plus Certified Power Supply - EA-430
http://www.buy.com/prod/Antec-Earthwatt-430W-80-Plus-Certified-Power-Supply/q/loc/101/203477215.html

It's $59 shipped $49 w/Google checkout and has 30A on the 12V rails would be sufficient for pretty much any GPU out right now. Now this doesn't leave you much left for upgrades, but would work fine. If you go any lower than this you could possibly cause other system problems.

Now for $4 more you can get 33A on the 12v rails and have the Corsair vx450w PSU, which is a nice buy!
Corsair VX 450w Power Supply - CMPSU-450VX
http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair-VX-450w-Power-Supply/q/loc/101/205466485.html

Personally this would be my choice for $100 shipped - $10 MIR = $90 and if you use Google checkout it's $80!!
Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX
http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair-520W-SLI-Certified-Modular-ATX-Power-Supply/q/loc/101/203270716.html
You get 40A on the 12v rails, so you have PLENTY of upgrade room with this option. It's only $30 more than the cheapest one I listed.

An excellent choice, but not less expensive and quite a bit more than is needed.

DAVIDMCDIARMID

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Personally, I would go with the OCZ Gamexstream 700W. Most places are selling it for about $100 if you include the mail-in rebate and it's a tier 2 PSU. Runs quietly and gives off a nice blue LED glow. It would probably be more future-proof than the Corsair because it has more power and more connectors. I have on and I love it.

TRENDING THREADS