Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Media playback problems on ST31500341AS?

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2008 4:42:42 PM

I saw two people saying those drives have this kind of problem:

Quote:
I bought two of these (not from Amazon, but another vendor), and they are unusable for media or any other near real time use. Every 5-10 minutes, the drives will stop responding for a period of time (10-30 seconds). Data is not lost, but it's useless for playing back media files, as videos and even MP3s will stop playing.

SMART monitoring shows no errors and that the drive is working properly.

It is possible that Seagate will fix this in firmware, or it's possible that both of the ones I received (from the same batch) are defective. To be certain, this is Model ST31500341A Revision: SD17

I've read a few reports on the internet of others having similar issues, but then plenty of people say the drives work great. So who knows if it is a firmware issue, a bad batch of drives, or what.

Quote:
I, also, bought this hard drive (not from Amazon) and have experienced the same thing with media (audio in iTunes) playback. There was a noticeable lag every so often and I had to move my library back to the other drive that I was migrating from. However, the drive is VERY good for backups, archiving and general storage as it has a usable space of 1.36 TB (1,360 GB) which is MORE than enough for a daily backup of my boot drive, a weekly backup of my iTunes library and Toast images of all of my software CDs so that I have access to all of my software without wasting time searching around for them later.

All in all, a very good, LARGE storage drive (5 stars) but a poor media playback drive (1 star). Good for room, not for iTunes.
Can someone confirm to me if this is a real issue with those drives? I am going to use them on my Q9450, along with the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6, but instead of buying one unit, I have ordered five.

Storing files will not be my only use of them, I will definitely use those drives to play multimedia (and heavy) files, so I am going to deal with small and large videos (DVDs, uncompressed High-Definition movies) every day, at least 80% of the time. Not to mention Sony Vegas, Virtual Dub, Sound Forge, etc.

P.S. Drive reviews:
http://tinyurl.com/45t7sx

And:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Seagate-Barracuda-1...

Model: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
October 12, 2008 6:15:24 PM

This isn't definitive, but I bought 3 of the 1.5TB drives for a Synology DS508 NAS & experienced basically the same problem, just playing an mp3 in winamp. Playback would stall out for 30-60 seconds then continue playing for a minute or two, then repeat. From what I could see it did look like the problem is with the drives, but there are too many pieces to the puzzle for me to say for certain. I finally replaced them with 1TB drives and everything's working perfectly.

Synology ran through the paces with me, but to no end. Seagate hadn't heard of the issue when I called them, but it was pretty early on and even if there is a defect in the drive firmware they probably don't want to announce it without doing there own extensive testing. Again, this was a RAID-5 in what is basically a little Linux box connected as a mapped drive over my internal network to a Win XP PC playing winamp, so like I said, I can't be certain, but I would steer clear until further user reviews come in or Seagate releases some info and/or new firmware.

Good Luck!

-Lance
October 19, 2008 10:48:48 PM

Another confirmation of the issue here. I have 1.5TB Seagate model S31500341AS firmware SD17 that will freeze up for about a minute at apparently random times during media playback over windows file sharing. I've tried the drive in two different computers both running Vista with the same result. I bought the drive from Newegg 10/5/2008.
Related resources
October 25, 2008 7:52:37 PM

I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Mac Pro with Mac OS X 10.5.5, and music and video playback causes iTunes to freeze periodically for several seconds. It doesn't appear to be data corruption - the SMART status is fine, and if I start playback at the beginning of the song or video it usually then plays the whole thing without problems. iTunes is unresponsive during this freeze. I have about 1TB on the 1.5TB drive. I have just submitted a question to Seagate about this.
November 4, 2008 6:23:54 PM

Check the names of the "three" users who are complaining about this drive. It is the same three guys all over the forums. None of them are even using windows. They are using Umbuntu Hardy or Mac. Also, 95% of the reviews I have read on this drive have been positive. It's only three or four guys trying to ruin a good thing.
November 7, 2008 12:35:32 PM

dallas2000 said:
Check the names of the "three" users who are complaining about this drive. It is the same three guys all over the forums. None of them are even using windows. They are using Umbuntu Hardy or Mac. Also, 95% of the reviews I have read on this drive have been positive. It's only three or four guys trying to ruin a good thing.

Umm, right. Can you explain what the benefit would be of 'trying to ruin a good thing'?

I've been searching for a solution everywhere after having these same problems with these drives running in my Drobo - all just purchased. I wasn't inspired to say much until you wrote this ridiculous response.

I'd recommend to anyone who is considering these drives to, at minimum, hold off your purchase until Seagate produces a solution. The only 'good thing' you'll see 'ruined' by purchasing these drives at this time is (potentially) every single data file you've saved your entire life.
November 10, 2008 9:51:21 PM

Maybe because Newegg and Amazon were fighting each over the last couple of months? At first, Amazon charged US$ 215 and Newegg $200. After a brief period of time, the prices were dropping every single day, it was a very impressive thing, each day they were adjusting the price.

To date, this is the cheapest HDD in the history - US$ 150 = US$ 0,10 / per GB. Now that Newegg is charging US$ 150, Amazon is doing the same (last week was US$ 165). And Newegg response was a combo deal, with a 8 GB flash drive.

I never saw anything like that. In my mind, these companies were only interested in raising prices.

And it's currently the one and only 1.5 TB drive available out there, so you bet the competitors will try to ruin these purchases. I have purchased 5 units and they will arrive probably this month.

As for loosing data, it's quite simple - I will have external backups for everything, so this is never going to be the issue, at least for me. Trusting your data to a single source/drive is quite stupid, if you ask me.

I am not saying these drives are free of problems, but if I detect them, I can return them to the company who purchased from Newegg without any costs.
March 20, 2009 9:42:41 PM

I'm having the same problem with this drive. My 6 other samsung drives are working without any problems. When I added this Seagate drive I started to experience problems with random freeze during media playback. I've been debugging the problem for a long time and always and up with the conclusion that the drive has to be the problem.

Is there a firmware upgrade that solves this problem?
March 25, 2009 11:41:46 PM

There is a firmware upgrade available at "http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/searc...", Notes on the download page state "The download utility will abort if it is not compatible with your current firmware revision. If your firmware version for these models is already SD1B or SD2B, your drive does not need a firmware update." :p 
January 31, 2010 7:29:26 AM

I have two of these drives which came with the newer firmware (CC1H) and they work great.

I stream movies and music to my ps3 and never have problems.

So with the new firmware these drives are golden.
May 3, 2010 7:07:15 PM

landyacht said:
I have two of these drives which came with the newer firmware (CC1H) and they work great.

I stream movies and music to my ps3 and never have problems.

So with the new firmware these drives are golden.

i bought yesterday one of these1.5TB with firmware "cc1e " but I'm trouble with playing media as description above :
Quote:
they are unusable for media or any other near real time use. Every 5-10 minutes, the drives will stop responding for a period of time (10-30 seconds). Data is not lost, but it's useless for playing back media files, as videos and even MP3s will stop playing.

any one have a solution ???
May 3, 2010 7:21:36 PM

^^^

note:
I'm Windows user not any thing else ... & using win7 .
May 6, 2010 2:13:01 AM

the problem exists until when copying any data from HHD or to it ... it hang a few seconds and then continuous copying / moving ...

it seems to me this problem without a solution ... so , I'm forced now to take and back ST31500341AS to the store and intention to take WD15EARS as replacement
July 15, 2012 12:52:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!