Biting the bullet - new m/b

Is this possible without excessive expense?

I'm thinking of changing my aged Asus A7V266E m/b to a more up-to-date
model, BUT want to use existing processor (AMD Athlon 1800+11.5 x 133,
Socket A) and graphics card (NVidea GeForce 2 MX400) with existing memory
(1 x 256, 1 x 512 DDR SDRAM) - i.e not spend anything more except the board.

Belarc report on existing system is below.

I've found a board which I THINK will do the job - here's the link --
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/motherboardsandaccessories/productView.htm?quicklinx=3G0Z&mc=6
but I'm unsure about certain things, like apparently faster bus speeds - and
also, would my graphics card be OK (a friend tells me there might be a
voltage difference) - which leads to the question - is my 3 year old PSU OK
for newer boards? Voltages ?

The info here http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html#who tells me that my
Nvidea card is 1.5v and therefore should be OK (or am I mistaken)?

I'd appreciate constructive comment. All I want/need is a fully working pc
with mic sound recording capability and usb2 connectivity, I don't need any
more speed/power than existing CPU gives, nor better graphics. Currently,
the on-board sound is gone (new sound card installed to rectify, having
failed to solve) and USB2 connectivity via USB2 card is also a problem. It's
cheaper to get new board than rectify, it would appear.

If anyone has time to help, this silver surfer would sure appreciate it. If
I'm not in the right ng, please advise the appropriate one.

BELEARC REPORT -

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.53 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
A7V266-E REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1006 01/23/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
81.11 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
61.84 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A [CD-ROM drive]
AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
SONY CD-RW CRX230ED [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n E917TE6E, rev
NAR61EA0, SMART Status: Healthy
ST340810A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5FB2KESE, rev 3.39,
SMART Status: Healthy 768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM 3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 41.11 GB 25.38 GB free
d: (on drive 1) 26.78 GB 25.21 GB free
e: (on drive 1) 13.23 GB 11.26 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users Printers
local user accounts last logon
Me 20/07/2005 10:14:19 (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest 13/03/2005 18:34:28
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account EPSON Stylus
C44 Series on USB002
Lexmark i3 on USB001
Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft
Document Imaging Writer Port:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft
Corporation) [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n H4JW907504, October 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
A347SCSI SCSI Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Creative Game Port
Creative SB Audigy LS
Communications Other Devices
LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Card MAC Address: 00:A0:CC:2E:40:1F
Network IP Address: 81.99.84.92 / 24 HID-compliant consumer control
device
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device
USB Human Interface Device
HID Keyboard Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

begin 666 trans.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

begin 666 no.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`( ``/\``/___R'Y! ``````+ `````*``H```(4C(\!@&O+
0E'MPGIJDI9A[V43940``.P``
`
end

begin 666 lock.gif
M1TE&.#=A#0`*`'<!`"'^&E-O9G1W87)E.B!-:6-R;W-O9G0@3V9F:6-E`"P`
M````#0`*`(,```" ````@ " @ ```(" `( `@(" @(# P,#_````_P#__P``
M`/__`/\`______\$(_#)0*6]`>AP;;8`UVD@T%%HBB5LFXA3"[3P$\CTZK)U
%ZE\1`#L`
`
end
10 answers Last reply
More about biting bullet

    That board should work fine. I also have a similar (Asus A7N8X - Deluxe ver
    2) board, along with my Asus A7V266e. You can use your present processor and
    RAM but you will only run with FSB of 133/266. Read the manual for the new
    board "carefully". You may have to adjust jumpers etc.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> [...]
    > VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
    > VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
    > VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    > VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    > VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    > VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Creative Game Port
    > Creative SB Audigy LS
    > Communications Other Devices
    > LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0
    > Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    > Network Card MAC Address: 00:A0:CC:2E:40:1F
    > Network IP Address: 81.99.84.92 / 24 HID-compliant consumer control
    > device
    > HID-compliant consumer control device
    > HID-compliant device
    > USB Human Interface Device
    > USB Human Interface Device
    > HID Keyboard Device
    > Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

    Thanks, Richard. The bus speeds were concerning me, since the new board is
    higher spec'd on bus speeds - that's a subject in which I'm a total virgin,
    and I don't want to fry a processor and/or board!

    I'm comfortable, albeit wary, of effectively building a new pc - a new
    challenge a level above anything previously done. Will d/l and carefully
    RTFM first, but if Asus is anything to go by, the m/b manual will not cover
    everything.
    One problem - I'm substantially colour-blind, which may cause probs with the
    maze of PSU power lead looms. Are the various PSU power connectors unique in
    their physical terminals (plug/socket configuration, size and no. of leads)
    or do I need help in colour identification? May sound a dumb question, but
    it's near impossible to see this when they're already in place. ( I was
    building valve/tube radios from old 1930's bits when I was 9, failed to get
    an electronics apprenticeship in the 50's due to inability to "read"
    colour-coded resistors, capacitors and transistors, became a tax-man instead
    ....)

    The direct link to the new m/b and its specs are in my earlier message below

    Appreciate your help, and thanks again, Len

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
    >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
    >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    >> VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Creative Game Port
    >> Creative SB Audigy LS
    >> Communications Other Devices
    >> LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0
    >> Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    >> Network Card MAC Address: 00:A0:CC:2E:40:1F
    >> Network IP Address: 81.99.84.92 / 24 HID-compliant consumer
    >> control device
    >> HID-compliant consumer control device
    >> HID-compliant device
    >> USB Human Interface Device
    >> USB Human Interface Device
    >> HID Keyboard Device
    >> Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

    PSU connectors come in about two flavors (except for molex connectors for
    HDs and SATA power leads), 20- and 24-pin connectors. They're keyed, so you
    can't put them in the wrong way. AND the 24-pin connection is for newer
    boards (as in socket 939, 775 and so), and there are adapters available both
    ways. But AFAIK, the 20-pin PSU connector fits in a 24-pin mobo socket,
    so... and new PSUs also have a 4-pin ATX 12V-connector, keyed also.....

    Color blindness _shouldn't_ be a consideration, as the connectors fit only
    one way.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
    > >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
    > >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    > >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    > >> VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    > >> VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Creative Game Port
    > >> Creative SB Audigy LS
    > >> Communications Other Devices
    > >> LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0
    > >> Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    > >> Network Card MAC Address: 00:A0:CC:2E:40:1F
    > >> Network IP Address: 81.99.84.92 / 24 HID-compliant consumer
    > >> control device
    > >> HID-compliant consumer control device
    > >> HID-compliant device
    > >> USB Human Interface Device
    > >> USB Human Interface Device
    > >> HID Keyboard Device
    > >> Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

    Hi, Len.

    But see Bruce Chambers' response to Ana Elza Aladim's similar question in
    the thread just before yours, "Upgraded hardware, using same HD with WinXP .
    Doesn't work.." Especially this paragraph:

    " Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    "How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341"

    It's not just the mobo, but the chipset, etc., on the mobo that might
    require a repair install.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

> [...]
    >>> a voltage difference) - which leads to the question - is my 3 year old
    >>> PSU OK for newer boards? Voltages ?
    >>>
    >>> The info here http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html#who tells me
    >>> that my Nvidea card is 1.5v and therefore should be OK (or am I
    >>> mistaken)?
    >>>
    >>> I'd appreciate constructive comment. All I want/need is a fully working
    >>> pc with mic sound recording capability and usb2 connectivity, I don't
    >>> need any more speed/power than existing CPU gives, nor better graphics.
    >>> Currently, the on-board sound is gone (new sound card installed to
    >>> rectify, having failed to solve) and USB2 connectivity via USB2 card is
    >>> also a problem. It's cheaper to get new board than rectify, it would
    >>> appear.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone has time to help, this silver surfer would sure appreciate it.
    >>> If I'm not in the right ng, please advise the appropriate one.

    <SNIP>>>

    Thanks for this reassurance. Wish me luck!
    Assume by "molex" lead you mean the female 4-socket one-way connector to
    hdd, cd-rw etc.. But, you say there's 20 and 24 pin connectors both of which
    will fit - my new board will be a Socket A (AMD1800+ cpu) - will this be a
    problem (I haven't yet ordered it, if I need a new PSU then that renders
    this solution uneconomical).

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> The direct link to the new m/b and its specs are in my earlier message
    > below
    >>
    >> Appreciate your help, and thanks again, Len
    >>
    >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> > That board should work fine. I also have a similar (Asus A7N8X - Deluxe
    >> > ver 2) board, along with my Asus A7V266e. You can use your present
    >> > processor and RAM but you will only run with FSB of 133/266. Read the
    >> > manual for the new board "carefully". You may have to adjust jumpers
    > etc.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Regards,
    >> >
    >> > Richard Urban
    >> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > Quote from: George Ankner
    >> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

    Thanks, RC, for advance warning of this! Fortunately, perhaps, my XP Pro is
    full version, not OEM.
    Since installation, I've replaced only the DVD-ROM drive.
    New m/b will have the original-installation CPU, the same video card, same
    RAM chips. I recall there are 10 hardware check-points, but forget what
    they are (and user is allowed 3 changes of kit before re-validation
    requirement).

    Will this m/b change (with new BIOS and chipset) require me to re-validate
    my OS? (better question - what are the 10 hardware checkpoints used for OS
    validation?)

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> below
    >>
    >> Appreciate your help, and thanks again, Len
    >>
    >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >> message news:eK4BlEXjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> That board should work fine. I also have a similar (Asus A7N8X - Deluxe
    >>> ver 2) board, along with my Asus A7V266e. You can use your present
    >>> processor and RAM but you will only run with FSB of 133/266. Read the
    >>> manual for the new board "carefully". You may have to adjust jumpers
    >>> etc.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Richard Urban
    >>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Quote from: George Ankner
    >>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

    A mobo replacement involves enough components that are used in the
    activation scheme that you most likely will have to reactivate. An onboard
    NIC counts for three of the possible ten points by itself.

    Activation will be a snap, even if you do have to make a phone call (which I
    doubt). Don't worry about it. btw, about the only non mobo components that
    are counted are the system hard drive and the video card. Other drives are
    not considered. Keyboards, mice, and monitors also are not counted.

> [...]
    >>> RTFM first, but if Asus is anything to go by, the m/b manual will not
    >>> cover everything.
    >>> One problem - I'm substantially colour-blind, which may cause probs with
    >>> the maze of PSU power lead looms. Are the various PSU power connectors
    >>> unique in their physical terminals (plug/socket configuration, size and
    >>> no. of leads) or do I need help in colour identification? May sound a
    >>> dumb question, but it's near impossible to see this when they're already
    >>> in place. ( I was building valve/tube radios from old 1930's bits when I
    >>> was 9, failed to get an electronics apprenticeship in the 50's due to
    >>> inability to "read" colour-coded resistors, capacitors and transistors,
    >>> became a tax-man instead ...)
    >>>
    >>> The direct link to the new m/b and its specs are in my earlier message
    >>> below
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate your help, and thanks again, Len

    Thanks, Thomas and Colin, for refreshing my memory/linking to the article I
    remembered seeing a year or more ago.
    Can't remember exact date, but I think it's less than 4 months since I
    installed XPPro.
    Currently, use 2 separate LAN cards, one for cable modem, second for Home
    network to daughter's laptop.

    New mobo has on-board LAN, which I plan to use for Home network, using
    separate LAN card for cable modem - same card as when I first installed
    XPPro. Will that remain in the "count" or will the new on-board LAN
    supercede it? (at 3 "points" it's the difference between the hassle of
    re-registering and not)

> [...]
    >>> RTFM first, but if Asus is anything to go by, the m/b manual will not
    >>> cover everything.
    >>> One problem - I'm substantially colour-blind, which may cause probs with
    >>> the maze of PSU power lead looms. Are the various PSU power connectors
    >>> unique in their physical terminals (plug/socket configuration, size and
    >>> no. of leads) or do I need help in colour identification? May sound a
    >>> dumb question, but it's near impossible to see this when they're already
    >>> in place. ( I was building valve/tube radios from old 1930's bits when I
    >>> was 9, failed to get an electronics apprenticeship in the 50's due to
    >>> inability to "read" colour-coded resistors, capacitors and transistors,
    >>> became a tax-man instead ...)
    >>>
    >>> The direct link to the new m/b and its specs are in my earlier message
    >>> below
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate your help, and thanks again, Len

    It shouldn't matter, as there are adapters available (24->20 -pin PSU->mobo,
    20pin PSU fits in 24pin socket on mobo, leaving 4 empty)
    costing about 10(EUR or $)

    --

> [...]
    unique
    > > in
    > >> their physical terminals (plug/socket configuration, size and no. of
    > > leads)
    > >> or do I need help in colour identification? May sound a dumb question,
    > >> but
    > >> it's near impossible to see this when they're already in place. ( I was
    > >> building valve/tube radios from old 1930's bits when I was 9, failed to
    > > get
    > >> an electronics apprenticeship in the 50's due to inability to "read"
    > >> colour-coded resistors, capacitors and transistors, became a tax-man
    > > instead
    > >> ...)
    > >>
    > >> The direct link to the new m/b and its specs are in my earlier message
    > > below
    > >>
    > >> Appreciate your help, and thanks again, Len

    Can't say will it require re-activation, but if it's more than 4 months
    since last, it should activate over the net...

    Also found this (with search expression: "microsoft hardware check-points
    activation XP")
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001july/gee20010710006734.htm

    --

Windows XP