Looking for a new HTPC case(desktop)

dantesinferno

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I have a NZXT HUSH case as of right now and I would like to purchase a HTPC/Desktop case. My biggest issues is that I have a 8800 GTS and a Hyper TX-2 cooler. I'm willing to replace the cooler. Btw, does anyone happen to know any cpu coolers that are able to fit in the LGA775 configuration using anything other than the clips? Back on topic, size is not an issue, it can be big, actually i need it to big. My budget is quite limited, can anyone help me?!

What do you mean by clips? Are you referring to the four push through pins that mount standard LGA775? If so, you'll be low on options I'm afraid. Just to throw out a recommendation, take a look at the Scythe Mini Ninja (but still uses the standard Intel four pin mounting). It's designed with small/HTPC cases in mind. I'm currently using that heatsink in a Moneual 832 case.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Antec NSK2480 has excellent (and quiet) cooling for a very reasonable price. However it is a MATX case, so if you have a P35 MB, then it's a no-go. It also comes with an Earthwatts 380W PSU. It's $100 at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034

And the Silverstone LC17 is the same size with a different layout (ATX) and can contain large video cards when one of the HDD cages is removed. It is $130 with free shipping at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163055

Edit: Dante, let us know your system specs and your budget and we can better assist you.

dantesinferno

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Abit IP35-E
G.Skill 2 gb
FSP 500 watt psu
8800 gts 320 -> 8800 gts 512 soon
Hyper TX-2 cooler
Budget: ~170
How loud and effective is the mini ninja? I would consider it.
I was actually looking at the Lian Li C-32 case.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Mini Ninja, from what I here is head-and-shoulders above its competition (size range) in terms of thermal performance. I've also heard it is not loud at all (it come with a Scythe fan, duh, which are awesome).

I really like the C-32 case, but be careful as you have a rather large video card, and it may not fit. I did not include that case in my suggestions since I figured it was above your price range since you stated earlier you had a budgetary constaint (which is higher than I initially expected). Do your research on this case before purchasing, as your card may not fit.

I would still, however, stick to recommending the Silverstone LC17 (both in silver and black), since your card is guaranteed to fit (unless you've done some crazy mods to it).

I don't think you can go wrong with either case if all your equipment fits in both.

My HTPC case would get up to ~63C without much load (it's in a cramped cabinet above a hot LCD TV). When I switched to the Mini Ninja, my idle went to about 44C and the highest I've ever seen it (100% load on both cores for hours encoding video) is 57C. The included Scythe fan is slightly audible and it's a 3-pin. My Asus board controls 4-pin PWM CPU fans only so the 3-pin fan goes full speed at all times. If your motherboard can voltage control a CPU 3-pin fan, then I imagine it would be completely silent.

dantesinferno

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I will probably go with the Silverstone LC17 case because I also have to purchase the Mini Ninja. Are you sure it fits? It looks quite tall from pictures I've seen. And the Lian Li case requires me to remove a fan to fit my graphics card. Thanks a lot Kyle. ~Any other advice?

The mini ninja is the same height as the video card PCB in my case. So, if you have enough clearance for a video card, then you have enough height for the mini ninja (as long as you don't have a fan or air scoop directly above your CPU). My video card is passively cooled with heatpipes which actually touch the top of my case. The mini ninja doesn't touch at all. Whether you have room around the CPU socket is another matter.

TRENDING THREADS