Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Audio
  • Media Center
  • HDMI
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2008 3:46:33 PM

OK, well I have recently just installed xp w/ sp2 and it has media center 2005 with rollup 2. Anyways my new MB has HDMI out with audio. When I first got windows up and installed all of the drivers on the MB CD I poped in a dvd and I was able to listen to the movie through the HDMI calbe hooked to my tv.

This was great, then I opened up media center and started to watch an xvid, I then hit the volume button on the media center remote and the sound stopped.

I checked in device mananger and everything was showing working properly. So just 2 days ago I called Gigabyte and told them the issue, the told me to go to realteks website and download the ATI HDMI audio driver. When I install that I get an error.

I have reformatted twice now and with the stock drivers the HDMI audio works, but then something weird happens like adjusting the volume in media center and it messes up. Also when I go into my audio properties it has 2 opetions for audio playback. The realtek HD audio sound, which is the normal onboard sound which works fine, and an optoin for Nvidia HDMI audio.

When I got into the audio properties the volume levels are disabled. So it looks like somehow the there is a driver or something that is crashing.

Any ideas would be awesome, thanks.

More about : gigabyte 73pvm s2h onboard hdmi audio working

January 6, 2008 8:47:04 PM

If it works when you're not using Media Center, then I wouldn't use it. VLC is a free video player that plays most video files. vlc.com It seems strange that you would use both ATI and nVidia drivers, which is not to say you can't.
January 6, 2008 9:15:25 PM

Should you not be turning the volume up on your AMP or TV?

I have the same motherboard in dads HTPC and when i tested the HDMI audio it worked fine, you have to select it as the playback device but other than that worked flawlessly for me.
January 7, 2008 6:52:22 PM

Chookman, Its weird, when I go into control panel, then sound an audio devices and then to the audio tab and get 2 options. First option is Realtek HD Audio output, which is the normal speaker out. Second option is NVIDIA HDMI Audio Wave. When I select the NVIDIA and go back to the Volume tab everything is disabled and no sound on the HDMI to the TV.

Something is very strange and I still have not heard back from Gigabyte, should I try contacting NVIDIA
January 7, 2008 8:14:03 PM

nutt318 said:
Chookman, Its weird, when I go into control panel, then sound an audio devices and then to the audio tab and get 2 options. First option is Realtek HD Audio output, which is the normal speaker out. Second option is NVIDIA HDMI Audio Wave. When I select the NVIDIA and go back to the Volume tab everything is disabled and no sound on the HDMI to the TV.

Something is very strange and I still have not heard back from Gigabyte, should I try contacting NVIDIA

Ill have a look when i go home this arvo (im at work) and see if the volume controls are disabled with HDMI audio as playback and ill let you know
January 7, 2008 8:22:00 PM

According to the manual HDMI has to be set as Default in Sound and Audio Device Properties in XP and Sound in Vista. See p18. Also check Setting Up Audio starting on p82. Looks like you can run one or the other but no both just like you can't run the front and rear connectors at the same time. Very possible that Windows Media changed some settings and there are a boatload.
January 8, 2008 12:53:40 AM

I am looking at my motherboard book right now and page 18 has information about supported pci x16 graphics card, and page 82 has information about installing vista with raid. Not sure what book your looking at.

Ive tried everything that I can think of, I have even contacted Gigabyte and they have an open ticket to test this out. Im sure there is something with an un stable driver infering with something.

Also what is weird is that it did originally work find with HDMI audio out, then when I hit the volume in media center it messed up. I have even ran an driver update that scan my pc for all current driver and compars it the the current, everything is up to date.

Anyone with other ideas would be awesome. Thanks.
January 8, 2008 1:02:15 AM

nutt318 said:
I am looking at my motherboard book right now and page 18 has information about supported pci x16 graphics card, and page 82 has information about installing vista with raid. Not sure what book your looking at.

Ive tried everything that I can think of, I have even contacted Gigabyte and they have an open ticket to test this out. Im sure there is something with an un stable driver infering with something.

Also what is weird is that it did originally work find with HDMI audio out, then when I hit the volume in media center it messed up. I have even ran an driver update that scan my pc for all current driver and compars it the the current, everything is up to date.

Anyone with other ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

The page citations were from the online manual, check that out
January 8, 2008 3:46:48 AM

That I have, same as the hard copy. Nothing in there has made any sense.
January 9, 2008 12:02:14 PM

Just letting everyone know that I went with Vista Ultimate 64bit and everything works great.
January 9, 2008 2:42:25 PM

Glad you got it straightened out
November 10, 2008 2:50:02 AM

Probably too late for anyone to notice this, but I am having exactly the same problem with my setup. XFX geforce motherboard with XP MCE 2005 (up to date) installed. In the control panel -> Sound, Speech and Audio Devices, I can set the NVIDIA HDMI out as the default playback device. When I open MC it works fine initially, but if I try to change the volume it goes to 0 and stays there. To get sound back, I can go back to the sound device page in control panel, go to the voice tab and use the Test Hardware button. This runs through the test and I get sound back until the next time I try to change the volume. Also, on the Volume tab (first one) the slider is greyed out as well as the speaker set up bottons on the bottom. I suspect this indicates a driver problem, but I don't know which one and I have the latest NVIDIA audio and video drivers installed. This problem is really frustrating me so far and I would be thrilled to hear of a simpler fix than a new OS.

Thanks.
April 2, 2009 1:25:55 PM

FOR ANYONE WHO LOSES THEIR HDMI AUDIO and you are using a REALTEK and NVIDIA system then go to NVIDIA's web site and download the latest HD AUDIO CODEC. see below

On my system I would intermittently lose the HDMI sound to TV. I first disabled the realtek audio device under the Sound, Video, Game Controller (SVG) in Device Manager. That seemed to bring my NVIDIA HDMI OUTPUT back online after I rebooted. But then the problem happenned again. SO not sure if REALTEK has anythingto do with the problem. When encountering the problem again I noticed the NVIDIA HDMI OUTPUT is displayed in the SVG in Device Manager, but NOT in the SOUND VOUME MIXER in the system tray. So I downloaded the latest CODEC from HDMI, installed it, and NVIDIA HDMI OUTPUT now reappered in the SOUND VOLUME MIXER in System Tray and it works. Hope it sticks this time.

I am using ASUS M3N78-EM MB with AMD Socket.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/endus...**&p_li=&p_topview=1
April 6, 2009 5:14:24 PM

Problem reappeared. I found out that the HDMI cable was not sitting properly on the motherboard. After playing with it and tightening it to the board the HDMI AUDIO device in SOUND VOLUME MIXER was back and working properly. So also take careful look at cables. Remember you can have HDMI video, but still lose sound, that is what threw me off.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2009 3:30:46 PM

I've just put together a gigabyte ga73pvm-s2h with 4gb ram. First started with no sound. Device manager showed PCI device without drivers. After much frustration and searching found Microsoft UAA driver and installed. Now have sound on rear panel, but still have yellow question mark on Audio device high definition and cannot get any drivers to accept....anyone have any ideas... ThanksI cannot get device manager
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2011 7:03:54 PM

without the HDMI cable connected. control panel > sound > right click on the audio device that is working (should have a green icon next to it) then disable it.

plug in your HDMI cable and voila.

Also, if you have any media players/music players open at the time of the HDMI cable being plugged in, you wont get sound until you restart.
!