Upgrading CPU on Asus A8V-E SE - What is required?

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Hello,

I am upgrading my CPU on my Computer. I currently have the A8V-E SE with an Amd Athlon 3500+ Socket 939. I am upgrading to a dual core - AMD Manchester X2 4200+ Socket 939. I am running Windows XP, and I have the most current Bios on my Motherboard.

My question is when I install the new CPU will the Bios automatically make any necessary changes? Or do I need to make any changes with the Bios, jumpers, or multipliers on the motherboard?

If I do need to make any changes, I would appreciate it if you could give details. I know a little about computers but not a lot.

Thanks

My Computer:

ATI Radeon X1800XT
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E SE

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1
CORSAIR XMS 2GB RAM (4 x 512MB)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7,200 RPM

Pioneer DVD + - DL Burner Black IDE
NEC Black 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
Thermaltake Tough Power 600W Power Supply
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
You shouldn't have any problems. Asus lists that the processor will work as long as you have atleast bios v. 1002. (double check)

You may have to download the dual core patch for xp but I think its standard with sp2. but if you have problems seeing both cores in windows task manager --- try google or searching the forums for the AMD dual core patch link

Other than checking the bios and updating if you need to. Just pop in the new proc and put on new thermal paste and heat sink, you should be good to go (take off old thermal compound -- of course) good luck

Should be just a drop-in replacement.
Upon booting you should get the "Windows has detected new hardware" message, and it will install the drivers for the dual core processor.
After a reboot, you should see 2 cpu graphs in your task manager, and 2 cpu's in your device manager.
If you don't, come back and let us know and we can help you sort it out.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Thank you both for your help. I have the latest bios v. 1010. I bought the the retail version of the processor, so I will have a new amd cpu, fan, and heatsink.

I was going to build a new computer, But I decided just to do a minor upgrade and wait about a year when hopefully windows vista will be more stable and the quad cores will be cheaper in price.

Thanks again.