Sign in with
Your question

CPU bad out of the box?

Last response: in CPUs
December 18, 2007 2:02:23 AM

Hello!

I'm working on my third build, and for some reason, nothing will power up. As soon as I cut the power to the CPU, everything worked fine. Do you think my CPU is the issue (brand new, right out of the box) or my mobo chipset?

I'm using a Biostar AM2 socket motherboard with a AMD 6400+ AM2 socket 3.2 Ghz processor. Thanks for the input.

More about : cpu bad box

December 18, 2007 2:10:44 AM

It's very rare that a CPU arrives DOA unless the user drops something heavy on it. I'd troubleshoot some more. What happens when you take out the 12v CPU power?
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2007 2:48:37 AM

jbj190 said:
It's very rare that a CPU arrives DOA unless the user drops something heavy on it. I'd troubleshoot some more. What happens when you take out the 12v CPU power?

Agreed. Keep checking everything else. The cpu COULD be bad but it is highly unlikely. Motherboards come in DOA rather often. Check out the power supply, it could be partially failing.

Are you building this out of the case or in? I'd build it outside barebones until you sort this out.
Related resources
December 18, 2007 9:40:45 AM

I am testing out of the case. With the 12V CPU power attached, nothing boots. When I detach the the 12V power, everything works fine, including the cooling fan for my CPU.

Based on your replies, you think the chipset on my motherboard is bad?

Thank you for your input!!!
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2007 10:10:21 AM

6400+ draws a lot of power ... have you got a spare psu to try?

a b à CPUs
December 18, 2007 10:21:47 AM

Remove the battery, short the pins and clear the Bios.
December 18, 2007 6:41:34 PM

Reynod said:
6400+ draws a lot of power ... have you got a spare psu to try?

My PSU is 680W...the power to the rest of the case is fine. The only issue is when I add the 4-pin connector to the CPU; then nothing boots. I tried shorting the pins and removing the battery, did not fix the problem.

I think it is a bad chipset, thank you all for your help.
December 18, 2007 6:52:55 PM

680 watt means nothing if it's a cheap psu. The PSU plays a very critical role in each rig. Not worth skimping out on.

What brand/model is it? It could be that the psu simply can not produce enough power, It's very common to see low tier psu's not hit their wattage advertised, Amps are also very important on the rails.
December 18, 2007 7:46:57 PM

Kamrooz said:
680 watt means nothing if it's a cheap psu. The PSU plays a very critical role in each rig. Not worth skimping out on.

What brand/model is it? It could be that the psu simply can not produce enough power, It's very common to see low tier psu's not hit their wattage advertised, Amps are also very important on the rails.

Here is a link to the PSU I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you for the input.
December 19, 2007 1:51:21 AM

Do you think that as soon as I connect power to my AMD 6400+, there isnt enough juice to power everything?
December 19, 2007 2:29:19 AM

take the mobo out of the case, and then try to power it up.
!