Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Mobo Doesn't Recognize SATA HD's

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2007 1:42:56 PM

I’m building a new PC with the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard, Intel E6850 CPU, 2 x 2GB OCZ memory, 3 Seagate 250 GB SATA hard drives, and 2 SATA DVD-RW drives. I want to run the 3 hard drives as a RAID-5 array.

Problem: I cannot get the system to recognize any of the 3 hard drives.

When I turn the system on, I get one short beep and POST starts. I get the Gigabyte color screen with instructions for entering BIOS setup, ROM flash, etc. which goes away in a few seconds. Then I see this:

Port 00 No device detected
Port 01 No device detected
Port 02 No device detected
Port 03 No device detected
Port 04 CD ROM LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L
Port 00 CD ROM LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L

After more typical POST stuff, it finally says: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Assuming the problem is in CMOS setup, I reboot and enter CMOS setup.

The first category is “Standard CMOS Features.” The first thing in Standard CMOS Features is a list:

IDE Channel 0 Master [None]
IDE Channel 0 Slave [None]
IDE Channel 1 Master [None]
IDE Channel 1 Slave [None]
IDE Channel 2 Master [None]
IDE Channel 3 Master [None]

I go to the first line, highlight “[None]” and hit Enter.

The next screen shows this:

IDE AUTO-DETECTION [Press Enter]

I press Enter, a small window says: “Detecting Hard Drive…” and then I’m back to the same screen with nothing changed.

The next line says: IDE CHANNEL 0 MASTER [AUTO]

Since Auto doesn’t work I tried the other two choices – None and Manual – each time rebooting with no success.

Back at the main CMOS setup screen, I go into the second option, Advanced BIOS features. Nothing there seems pertinent.

Back at the main CMOS setup screen, I go into the third option, Integrated Peripherals.

The first line under Integrated Peripherals is:

SATA RAID/ACHI MODE [RAID]

The other options are ACHI and DISABLED – I tried them both without success.

The second line is:

SATA PORT0-3 NATIVE MODE [ENABLED]

I tried DISABLED without success.

So I'm completely stuck.

A few other points:

1. I tried different SATA cables without success.
2. The 3 SATA hard drives are brand new. I can imagine one bad one but not three.
3. I switched the power cables between the DVD drives and the SATA drives without success.
4. The SATA drives seem to be spinning when the PC boots so they have power.
5. I tried plugging the SATA cables from the DVD drives into the ports that the hard drives were in and the PC recognizes them in every possible port.
6. I tried the SATA hard drives in the ports that the DVD drives were in with no success.

Could there be a problem with the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for any help.

farno
December 9, 2007 2:15:32 PM

I am having the same problem with my Seagate cuda 500GB 32MB cache 7200rpm HDD. It was an OEM from Newegg, My GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L mobo won't recognize my drive. I did the same thing as you with auto detect and got nothing. It shows my Lite-on optical drive and nothing else. I switched power and data cables and went through all of the same hoops that you did and my conclusion was that the drive was DOA. I talked to a Seagate technical support person, explaining everything and they said it must be defective.

Couple of questions for you. Where did you get the drives from? Where were they made (if you can see on the sticker)? Drives made in Thailand are having a terrible time with DOA's. Also, are they the retail or OEM version? Mine was an OEM. Hope you have good luck in finding out the problem.

P.S. One guy ordered 8 and had 4 bad. Another claimed to have ordered 40 throught the year as part of many builds and said over half were DOA. With a 50% failure rate you'd be looking at a 1/8 chance of getting all bad drives, which is a decent chance to say the least.
December 9, 2007 2:27:31 PM

First off... what you discribed first is for the IDE channels, which would work with master/slave/cable select.

Since your trying to run SATA on a RAID mode, you will need to figure out what part of the bios controls the SATA chipset, since IDE is a different part of the chipset.

My old P4 Asus MB actually had seperate bios for SATA drives. So I'd have to wait for a message on a screen (like scsi host card) to hit certain sequence of keys to get into the promise RAID controller on that older MB, which is past the POST screen.

Not sure how its setup for your MB though. Might wanna just read through the manual to find out more about setting up the SATA drives for RAID.
Related resources
December 9, 2007 2:37:04 PM

They are three OEM Seagate SATA drives I bought from Newegg. Not sure where they were made. I'm tempted to buy a small SATA HD from a local retail shop to see if it recognizes that one. Thanks.
December 9, 2007 2:45:21 PM

I don't think that really going to matter. I use OEM drives as well. As a matter of fact, I'm using one right now (seagate 320gb). :lol: 

Difference on my new system though, I'm running it IDE mode, instead of Raid. I'm d/l the manual to your MB (taking a long time :cry: ). I'll take a look at it, and advice what I can find.
December 9, 2007 2:53:13 PM

I just went out and got a retail Seagate 500GB SATA 300MB/s 7200rpm 16MB cache drive. I will let you know how it turns out for me. If the install goes well, then most likely it was indeed a bad drive that I had.

I have nothing agains't OEM drives myself, I was just stating that Seagate has had some problems with the OEM ones of my model, especially ones made in Thailand.
December 9, 2007 2:56:44 PM

You're right that the IDE settings should be irrelevant. But I would expect to see the three drives show up in the initial list of drives found, since the DVD-RW's are SATA and they show up on the list.

According to the manual, some time during post I should see a message telling me to hit Ctrl-I to enter the RAID BIOS setup utility but I never see that message.
December 9, 2007 3:03:23 PM

Whelp... all the info you need is in "Chapter 5 Appendix". As follows:

Quote:
Chapter 5 Appendix
5-1Configuring SATA Hard Drive(s)
To configure SATA hard drive(s), follow the steps below:
A.Install SATA hard drive(s) in your computer.
B.Configure SATA controller mode in BIOS Setup.
(Note 1)
C.Configure a RAID array in RAID BIOS.
(Note 2)
D.Make a floppy disk containing the SATA RAID/AHCI driver.
(Note 2)
E.Install the SATA RAID/AHCI driver and operating system.
Before you begin
Please prepare:
• At least two SATA hard drives (to ensure optimal performance, it is recommended that you use
two hard drives with identical model and capacity). If you do not want to create RAID, you may
prepare only one hard drive.
• An empty formatted floppy disk.
(Note 3)
• Windows Vista/XP/2000 setup disk.
• Motherboard driver disk.
®
5-1-1Configuring Intel ICH9R SATA Controllers
A. Installing SATA hard drive(s) in your computer
Attach one end of the SATA signal cable to the rear of the SATA hard drive and the other end to available
SATA port on the motherboard. If there is more than one SATA controller on your motherboard, refer to
"Chapter 1," "Hardware Installation," to identify the SATA controller for the SATA port. (For example, on
the GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard, the SATAII0, SATAII1, SATAII2, SATAII3, SATAII4 and SATAII5 ports are
supported by ICH9R Southbridge.) Then connect the power connector from your power supply to the
hard drive.
(Note 1)Skip this step if you do not want to create RAID array on the SATA controller.
(Note 2) Required when the SATA controller is set to AHCI or RAID mode.
(Note 3) Due to chipset limitation, Intel ICH9R RAID driver does not support Windows 2000 operating
system.
Appendix- 77 -

After page 77, there are pictures there for you to look at for bios menus.

Intructions sound simple enough to follow:

Quote:
Step 1:
English
Turn on your computer and press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup during the POST (Power-On Self-Test).
To create RAID, set SATA RAID/AHCI Mode under the Integrated Peripherals menu to RAID
(Figure 1)(Disabled by default). If you do not want to create RAID, set this item to Disabled or AHCI

Also, be sure your using the SATA ports that makes sense to you, don't just plug it in any port. For example SATA0 and SATA1 is above the IDE channel that is bent away from the MB, which are basically just 2 ports together. Hope you follow in what I'm saying there.

Anyhoo.. GL on your build. :D 
December 9, 2007 3:23:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have read and re-read the manual and appendix 5 a jillion times. I have carefully followed all of the instructions. I set the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to RAID.

But still when I reboot the drives do not appear in the list of drives found and I do not see the message to press Ctrl - I to start the RAID setup utility.

It's hard to believe that I have 3 bad hard drives but it's either that or there's some other problem with the motherboard. I may buy a small SATA hard drive from Best Buy or Circuit City where you can return them and see if that drive works.

Thanks again.

farno
December 9, 2007 3:39:16 PM

Well, it was indeed a bad hard drive that I recieved. I installed the new one and it was recognized immddiately and Windows XP began to load right away. The drive is now formatting.

For what it's worth, my mobo recognizes my SATA devices as "IDE" if that's what both of you were talking about.

To the OP: Do you have anything installed on these drives yet? If not, my suggestion is to try to get one at a time to work. If you can't, I'd suspect that all drives are bad. As for seeing where it was manufactured, look on the white label of each drive. Mine said "Product of Thailand" for example. My new HDD was made in China and I am having no problem with it. Sure, 1/8 seems like a bad chance of getting 3 bad drives but it can and does happen. Maybe try getting the same drive locally, and if it works, return the bad drive in the box. Make sure it's the same model number though. I may do this with mine instead of waiting for my new one to arrive.
December 9, 2007 5:09:38 PM

What I was referring to, was when one of you were saying you were in the bios, use that auto detect. That's usually for the IDE channel port.

SATA should come up as IDE mode, but if the SATA chipset is disabled, that could cause the system not to see the drives hooked up to them. Since mostly all different MB have different Menus/Submenus, its really hard to help ya out better.

Are the HD getting power, do you hear/feel them spin up? Did you try using a different SATA cable just in case?

Pretty much out of questions to ask.. :oops: 
December 9, 2007 5:15:58 PM

My money is still on them all being DOA.
December 9, 2007 7:47:41 PM

>>Are the HD getting power, do you hear/feel them spin up? Did you try using a different SATA cable just in case? <<

Yes, yes, and yes.

Thanks anyway.

farno
December 9, 2007 7:51:35 PM

>>My money is still on them all being DOA. <<

Me too, I think. I can't imagine that I've missed a BIOS setting and the SATA DVD drives work in all the SATA ports. I'm going to call Gigabyte tomorrow afternoon and if that is fruitless then I'm going to buy the cheapest SATA hard drive I can at Best Buy and see if that works. If it doesn't then I'm going to ask for a new motherboard. If if does work I'm going to replace the three Seagate drives with some other brand like Hitachi or Samsung.

Thanks.

farno
December 12, 2007 9:52:55 PM

bs6749 wins the prize. All three hard drives are bad. Last night I was on the phone with Gigabyte support and after 1/2 hour we had tried everything with no luck, so it was his opinion as well that the drives were bad. He said it's not uncommon for an entire lot to be bad.

I stopped at Best Buy on the way home tonight. I went to the Geek Squad counter first to see if they'd lend me a drive to test with but not surprisingly they wouldn't do that. So I bought a WD SATA hard drive, plugged it in in the place of one of my three bad ones, booted up, and the PC recognized it immediately.

Tomorrow I'll get an RMA number from newegg, return the three bad drives and order three new WD drives.

Thanks to all for your concern and support.

farno
December 12, 2007 10:37:03 PM

Though it was unlikely, it wasn't impossible. I still have to send in my defective Seagate drive (back to Newegg as well). Seems like they are having a TON of bad ones lately. Believe the reviews on Newegg!!!

I'm just glad my new Seagate works fine. Also glad that you figured out what it was.

P.S. What's the prize??? : )
December 13, 2007 2:46:14 AM

Wow... that's a bummer, but at least you should be able to get replacements.

I'm pretty much a shopper on NewEgg. I haven't yet had a bad HD from them. I guess I'm just lucky. Although, I've never ordered 3 HD at once. :lol: 
December 13, 2007 2:03:52 PM

I think it's a recent "batch" of them that is bad. Mine was a different model than the OP's but like I said, Seagate seems to be having an terrible time with a larger than normal amount of DOA's lately.
December 13, 2007 7:21:19 PM

Hmmm... well the 2 seagates we got are the 320gb (one SATA2, ATA100), but they weren't brought at the same time, OEM's.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

When I built my dads, it was just cheaper to stick with IDE. But its still nice to have a 5 year warranty on them for OEM. Had a 250 WD OEM, still working, but its warranty is only 1 year. :lol: . o O (and its been over a year... :D <- knocks on wood)
December 24, 2007 6:46:09 PM

I did not have time to read all of these posts, but regarding the problem recognizing Seagate SATA drives on a MB with Intel ICH9R chipset: The problem may be related to the disk util software that is shipped with the drive. I just bought a Seagate SATA 320GB Baracuda and the included disk util software is made by Acronis. There is a known problem with Acronis True Image not being able to see SATA drives on MB's that use the ICH9R chip set. Even True Image version 11 (latest at this writing) has this problem. However, once the drive has been partitioned and formatted Windows XP can see the drive. My workaround: Install the drive in my old system (different MB chip set) so that I could partition it using Acronis True Image 10. I read a post on another forum that the latest version of Norton Ghost works with the ICH9R chip set but I'll believe it when I see it.
!