Celeron 430 compatibility

wolfynic

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Hello, I need a little advice regarding CPU and M/Board compatibility.
I've been building Pc's for quite a while now, and have usually used Socket 478 as my staple business. I've recently purchased a couple of Celeron 430 processors (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128997) to use in budget computers. Knowing very little about the new LGA775, i decided to buy the following boards based on a very tight budget.

ASUS P5LD2 SE R1.0 i945P

and

ECS P4M900T-M2 (V1.0)

When built, I could power them up (the fans would spin up) but the hard drive, optical drive and everything thing else was dead. I've since done some research on the ASUS board where lots of people have had to get replacement BIOS's from ASUS stating the exact same symptoms as I had. The strange thing is that I had the same results with two different CPU's and two different boards.

I'm thinking that the CPU isn't compatible with the boards and that I should have purchased Celeron D cpu's instead. Is that right?

I did try absolutely everything I could think of to fix this problem, but i'd very much appriciate any help.

I've since sent both boards back, but still have the CPU's. Could anyone recommend a cheap m/board that would be compatible with the Celeron 430 cpu?

Thanks very much.

Newegg has 2 abit micro atx boards for around $60-70 with Intel chipsets and onboard video. The LG-95 is the cheapest. I've had pretty good luck with asrock. They have an open box Asrock conroe 1333 D667 for $32.99 plus shipping for the bare board only. Asrock america will send you a backplate for $5 shipped.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
According to Asus, if that mobo is indeed R1.0, it will not support the Celeron 430. However, the ECS mobo should support the Celeron 430, as it is in the supported CPUs list.