I'm thinking of building a pentium p.c

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I'm not looking for anything special. I have all the other components besides a processor and a motherboard. I just want to build a minor gaming rig, nothing special.

I would like a pentium duo processor, I have no idea what to get. I'm also looking for an Asus mother board.

My last computers I build were all AMD based. I just stuck with the Asus boards because they have an insanely nice warranty program.

I've heard Intel makes awesome boards and, they have a great warranty program, I've never built one, however, maybe someone could suggest something here?

G.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
What is your budget?

You want to look at these parts:

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core(not PentiumD! PentiumD is old and slow), Core2Duo or Core2Quad.
Motherboard: Asus P5K/P5K-E, GigaByte P35-DS3L or DS3R, Asus IP35, IP35-E or IP35Pro.

I'm assuming your ram is DDR2 and your graphics card PCI-E, because otherwise your stuff is pretty outdated and you will need to upgrade more to get a modern gaming system.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Intel doesn't make pentium cpu's anymore they are core 2 Duo now. I don't recommend Intel mobos. but you can get a decent Asus board fairly cheaply

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, a duo processor. What processor would you recommend, I'm looking to spend about 400 total including the mobo.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
You could try to dig up a P4 EE 3.7GHz as it has dual core and HT & appears as 4 cpu's in system. Large Cache and Runs 1066 FSB is why its such a good performer. Seem to be engineering samples around on ebay, as these are usually initially distributed as free evaluation units you might be lucky enough to buy one at a very reasonable cost.

ASUS P5ND2-SLi series mobo will run them, but most models do not upgrade to run C2D. Some possibly can, so look carefully at the mobo revisions and CPU support section on ASUS website.

Otherwise any C2D capable mobo will support this cpu. If you choose a cheap current mobo then stick to Intel chip-set if at all possible.

Performance wise is on par with early 754/939 AMD 64 CPU's.

Okay here's a couple of ?'s that need addressed.

1) What are your other parts that you have for this build (Case/HD/DVD/PSU/GPU (is it AGP or PCI-e)/DDR or DDR2), please include if they are SATA or IDE drives (HD/DVD/CD)?

2) What is the purpose of the build? Is it mostly for gaming or is there something else that takes priority over the "minor" gaming rig that you stated?

If all you need ends up being just a mobo and CPU than a e6750 and a decent p35 mobo would do. That will cost you about $300 or so, depending on which mobo you choose. If you wanted to you could get a q6600 and a p35 mobo for about $400. We just need to know your other parts, so we can definatively answer your original question(s).

bash007

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
You could try to dig up a P4 EE 3.7GHz as it has dual core and HT & appears as 4 cpu's in system. Large Cache and Runs 1066 FSB is why its such a good performer. Seem to be engineering samples around on ebay, as these are usually initially distributed as free evaluation units you might be lucky enough to buy one at a very reasonable cost.

I think he was talking about the Pentium Dual-Core (which are essentially Core 2 processors), and not the Netburst Pentiums.

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Lunyone:

sata 300 gig 3.0
XFX 8600 gt
2 gigs ocz ddr2 ram
and a 650 watt power supply

And, Yeah, I stated that I'm interested in the Duo processor.

Well with that GPU you could just get a e2180 for about $100 and get a Gigabyte DS3L/Abit IP-35e/Asus P5k-se to go with the CPU. Later you could OC the e2180 to 3.0 on stock cooling and have a e6850 speeds for about $200 cheaper. :) If you still wanted the e6750, I'd go with one of the boards I listed above, assuming they have the options that you want. For about $30 more than the ones listed above you could get any of their bretheren: DS3R/IP35/P5k. It's up to you, but any of the e21xx or e65xx with the p35 mobo's is a very good choice.

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I just want to try and get a nice processor, nothing insane. If you had to choose either the e21 or e65, which one would you go with?