Dual vs. Single

Brentrb4

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
i don't know much, well anything really about dual core CPU's

whats better

AMD Sempron 3500+ 1.8GHz 512KB Level-2 cache, 1600MHz FSB

or

AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core TL-50 processor 1.6GHz 512KB Level-2(x2) cache, 1600MHz FSB

Just1MoreQ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
as far as i know (others will correct me if im wrong) the amd 64 and the turion mobile cpu line up are pretty much identical dies just the turion are lower power - the turion you meantion "x2" means dual core so out of the 2 your meantioned i would get that one as even with the reduced clock speed it should prove to be faster oveall and reduce lag/slowdowns/increase responsiveness - are you looking at buying a budget laptop? if you can afford i would go with intel as performance is better - just my 2 cents

Brentrb4

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
i have the laptop, and it has the sempron 3500+ in it right now. what i'm looking at is putting the dual core into it.but i don't want to spend much money.

i have a ton of crap running all the time, and find i have to close a bunch of stuff if i want to get into anything big.

i only spent $450 on this laptop, and would like to upgrade for under $300 CPU and Ram.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The 2nd core will help somewhat, but I wouldn't expect a night/day difference between the two. If you're only using single-threaded apps and not multi-tasking (or using more than 50% of your current CPU) then I wouldn't recommend upgrading to the x2...

Just1MoreQ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
i would also suggest you try and upgrade the ram first to 2gb and see if that helps you should certainly be able to have more programs open with more ram but as they are all using a single core you would still benefit from the dual core just to increase responsiveness but im not sure if it worth the upgrade or just get a new laptop depending on the upgrade cost versus a new 1 - also not sure about the socket the 2 cpus use they should be the same as they are both the same generation and i think both still available in laptops but i would check this before spening any cash - also if the particular board youve got in there supports the turion or needs bios change - overall i dont know much about upgrading laptops tho

Brentrb4

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
going to upgrade the RAM to 4GB.

the main thing i am asking is. going from 1.8GHz down to 1.6GHz the dual core will still work better for multi tasking.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
oh hell yes going to a dual core will be better for multitasking. if you use photoshop, it will also help, as photoshop has included multithreading optimizations since.... CS i think?

the only thing i can say is make sure your laptop supports 4GB of ram and a dual core processor as drop-in replacements.