Cant get OC to Post (E8400 + P35-DS3L)

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I have the following setup:

CPU: Intel E8400 3GHz
MB: Gigabyte P35-DS3L v2.0 Latest Bios
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W (Rated 2nd tier)
Fan: Artic Freezer Pro 7

I cannot post after I overclock this at all. I Dont know what I am doing wrong. I read the guides on this site: updated my bios to the latest version even and disabled speedstep just in case. Here is a screen shot of my bios setup:

img1212ot4.jpg

Also I set the memory timing to 5-4-4-15 as its stated to run at. This was done after my first attempts at OCing the CPU tho.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

reset the cmos.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Open your motherboard manual to the drawing of the motherboard layout. Then find the CLR_CMOS jumper. Then go to your motherboard and move the jumper or place a jumper over the two pins to clear it. Make sure when you do this your computer is unplugged from the wall. Your manual also will have instructions on just how to do this with your board. Each board has its own way to reset the CMOS. If for some reason you don't have your manual for the board you can find it online at the Gigabyte web site and download it there.

EDIT: Why? Thats how you restore the settings to the original factory settings. It will undo any changes you made to overclock the system.

Once you clear the CMOS you will have to go back into the BIOS and change and save settings if you have changed things like the boot order.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Why would I want to do that? I could just go into bios and "reset to defaults".. whats the point of reseting my CMOS? Am I gaining something?

EDIT: Oh ok I understand the confusion. It cannot post and tries twice then it goes back to the old settings so the system is still usable. Sorry I should have said that. My problem is that I cannot overclock my computer for some reason. Any OCing makes it reset at post.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Are you seeking advice here or are you defending your ego here.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Purely seeking advice. Like I said in my other thread I realize I probably wasnt clear enough and I THINK I gave you the impression that I could not get into bios anymore and was stuck at post. That was never the case.

My problem was that when I try to overclock the computer it just resets at post twice and then goes back to default clock settings (to avoid harming the hardware I assume). What am I doing wrong? Just increasing the FSB should by itself work no problem for the E8400.. right?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well you need to read the OC stickys. Your trying 3.6 at 1.225 vcore. You probably need more vcore since it wont stick. It could also be overheating at that speed if you didnt seat your heatsink right.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I just tried leaving it all on auto and I put in 333 as the "modified" FSB and guess what.. it crashed on post!!! Thats right even when I leave it at stock it crashed! So.. enabling CPU control seems to be crashing me.

Why would this happen?

img1215fk5.jpg

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Ok. a few things you should do. First, set your pc i express frequency to 100. Second, system memory multiplier to 2. Third, set your cpu vcore to 1.3 and set your frequency to 3.1 ghz to see if that works. 1.3 V is for testing purpose only. Once it works , you can adjust the voltage.

If possible, can you give me a screen shot of your bios especially CIE 1 section. Usually, second option from the main bios screen. You need a lot to disable from that section. Things like C1E 1, cpu virtualization.

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

What I have done already: I have disabled speed step (the 2 options in bios) and virtualization. I set my ram to 2.0 (making it 800 which is the lowest it goes and equal to its default setting when at 400mhz FSB).

What I will try now:
I will try setting my PCI-E to 100 (I always left it at auto which should set it to 100 as I understand). I will try 1.3 vcore but I tried 1.32 vcore in the past and it didnt work still.

rfatcheric

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
You should still try and reset the bios with the jumper on the mobo, its not the same as restoring the defaults while you're IN the bios.

I had a similar problem with that mobo and resetting the jumper on the mobo fixed my issue.

I see the DDR overvoltage control is set to +.3 - have you confirmed that your RAM needed this boost? As I am unfamiliar with this MOBO I suppose the real question here is if your RAM is set to mfg. voltage spec.?

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
YOU WERE 100% RIGHT!!! It was the CMOS. So anyone else who has the same D3SL board and a new chip after updating your bios to properly utilize your chip reset your cmos or you may not be able to overclock at all!

Problem solved and Im running at a modest 3.6ghz when before I couldnt even run at stock unless I had cpu control disabled.

THANKS!!!

redfin

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
No its all the same. I was able to reset the settings to default from within bios but only by hardware reseting CMOS did the problem get fixed. It wasnt the settings cause the problem existed before I changed anything except the FSB.