hd scam

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I was surfing the net and suddenly I saw this forum and stating that all the video card that advertising their card that can play a HD is simply isn't true. Most of them only put out a 480i and I thought we need at least 1080i-1080p to have a true HD inspite of being HDCP compliant... So, can anyone confirm this here ???

runswindows95

Distinguished
Can anyone else make sense of the question being asked? I'm a bit buzzed at the moment and it doesn't make sense at all. If I'm understanding the OP's question, it's not a scam. The 8400/8500/8600 Nvidia's and the ATI's 2400/2600 can handle HD content at 1080p with no problems if I remember correctly.

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I assume you both all those card and saw it yourself that can do a 1080p output. I saw people complaining that their card will not output 1080p inspite of the card saying it can do it...

It was just a question that I like to be sure about it because I don't want to waste my time on having a HD if there is no technology that will support it...

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
ITS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU PEOPLE ARE LACKING OF BRAIN TO COMPREHEND A SIMPLE SENTENCE. ITS O.K. TO BE IGNORANT BUT TO BE DUMB AS YOU ALL ARE,,, ARE SIMPLY PATHETIC.... WHY NOT JUST DONATE 99% OF YOUR BRAIN TO SOMEONE THAT WILL HAVE GOOD USED FOR IT....

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

I was surfing the net and suddenly I saw this forum. It states that all the advertisments of video cards that can play High-Definition video are false.

Most of those video cards advertised could only output 480i. I thought that the output needed to be at least 1080i or 1080p to be called HD, instead of just being HDCP compliant.

Is this what you were actually asking? It is quite ironic to call someone dumb when in fact you can't even form a proper (american) english sentence, let alone a paragraph. Also, people that shout and rant at other people when in fact that person is asking for help is what I'd call a general a**hole.

To answer "parts" of your question:

From what I could also remember, nVidia's 8400, 8500 & 8600, and aTi's 2400 and 2600 could handle all the way up to 1080p.

HDCP was one requirement to be able to stream protected videos at 1080p/i or 720p/i, if the HDCP part of the card was missing and the software required it then the video would be downsampled to 480i.

Of course, this generally depends on which HD resolution you're talking about, whether it be 720p, 720i, 1080i or 1080p. In some respects, 480i was high-def but due to it being too common already I think people then started calling 480i to be just "Standard Definition".

You're Welcome.

G

Why don't you construct proper sentences first. It'll make it easier for us to understand what exactly you're on about. Although I did think runswindows95's response was pretty good considering.

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
by the way:

HD vs ED vs SD

Refers to the resolution or number of pixels used to represent a single video image frame. Standard Definition refers to having about 350,000 pixels per frame & High Definition refers to having about 2,000,000 pixels per frame, (or about 6 times more than SD). Therefore, 7201/p is NOT HD.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I lol'd

1/10

troll softer

Wrong, noob. HD video is defined as 720i/p and 1080i/p. There is no such thing as "ED", at least in the sense that you are referring to.

How old are you? The forum demands to know!

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004

SDTV / EDTV / HDTV Specifications

1080i/p HDTV format is 1920 X 1080 pixels.
720i/p HDTV [aka SDTV (S=Super) or EDTV] is 1280 X 720.
480p EDTV (E=Enhanced or Extended) [may/may not be widescreen] is 640 X 480 or 704 X 480.
<420 SDTV (S=Standard) Less than 480p

HOW MANY RETARD THAT IS HERE NOW... OR IS IT JUST FULL MOON ???

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
You know what,, the hell with the HD monitor and a HD video card. I'm just going to buy me a HD eye glasses or a HD contact lens then I will see everything in HD at any given moment... YEAH !!! LOL !!!!

I don't understand the point of this post other than the fact that it started with mis-information.

720i/p is the "old" HDTV standard.

1080i/p is the "new" HDTV standard.

You need an HDCP compliant video card and monitor/TV to watch copy protected HD content.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

If English is not your native language, I would strongly urge you to go with another translation site / dictionary.

I think the one that you're using now may just be screwing with you.

You also forgot 720x480. EDTV is essentially the same thing as S(standard)DTV. Its just progressive at 60hz (or 50 in europe), which is outside of the NTSC/PAL specifications.

Dont keep lying to your self. 1080/720i and p ARE part of the HDTV specification. I love how you just make up acronyms.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Well according to this ATSC document: http://www.atsc.org/standards/is_095.pdf

"...ranging from standard definition 480-line interlaced format to 720 or 1080-line HDTV formats."

Now unless the governing body for TV standards is wrong about 480i being Standard Definition and 720 & 1080 are HD. Or you are actually right. I choose the ATSC.

(By the way, the EDTV term seems to have been swallowed up by the HDTV definition)

EDTV really doesnt have much a place... as far as standards go. Stations cant broadcast it, and the only things that do make use of it are some dvd players and gaming consoles.

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
What is EDTV Resolution?

Reviewer: Phil Conner

Copyright © 2007 PlasmaTVBuyingGuide.com. All Rights Reserved.

What is an Enhanced Definition (EDTV) TV? It is simply a TV—be it a plasma television, or other technology that has 853 x 480 native pixel resolution.

We have all heard certain plasma displays described as "enhanced" definition displays. "Enhanced" certainly makes these plasma TVs sound good … desirable even. Lucky for us there's more to this than just clever marketing. Enhanced-definition (or ED) plasma TVs are actually better than conventional, tube-type TVs—not just slimmer and wider.

Let me explain: Standard-definition (SD) TV—the sort most of us have been watching for years—has 480 visible lines of detail. This is the number of horizontal lines found on your TV screen. Remember, TVs are measured on the diagonal: The width of the screen changes, while its height remains more or less constant. Thus, it is the number of pixels on the vertical axis that really determines how much detail is visible.

Like SDTV, EDTV contains 480 horizontal lines of picture detail, but the difference is that these 480 lines are displayed differently on standard- versus enhanced-definition televisions. SDTV utilizes a process called "interlacing" to display these 480 active lines of information. An interlaced picture is actually a single frame of video "painted," line-by-line, onto the screen in two passes. On the first pass, all the odd numbered lines from top to bottom (i.e., numbers 1, 3, 5, … 479) are displayed. This takes 1/60th of a second to accomplish. In the next 1/60th of a second, all the even lines are painted. So, it takes exactly 1/30 of a second to display a full picture at 480i ("i" for "interlaced"). The refresh rate of such displays is 30 Hz.

With EDTVs, these 480 lines are displayed progressively, meaning all the lines are "painted" onto the screen sequentially (1, 2, 3, … 480) in one pass as opposed to two. Which essentially means that more information can be displayed with progressive scanning since there is not 1/60 of a second lag between "takes." What would otherwise take 1/30 of a second to be displayed using interlacing can actually be shown in half the time progressively. Progressive-scan formats provide full vertical resolution at all times, at a refresh rate of 60 Hz. Hence the enhanced picture quality that comes with progressive scanning.

Which is why EDTV has been called by some the biggest advance in video quality since color TV. Now, HDTV plasma is taking center stage as prices come down quickly on LCD and Plasma TVs. The simple anwer on what a HDTV plasma would be is 1024 x 768 resolution or higher (1366 x 768 is common on 50" plasma, and 1024 x 768 resolution is common on 42" plasma TVs).
If you want to learn more about how enhanced-definition plasma TVs stack up against high-definition ones, see my article, "EDTV Plasmas Vs. HDTV Plasmas: Drawing Some Conclusions About Native Resolutions".

If you want to learn more about how enhanced-definition plasma TVs stack up against high-definition ones, see my article, "EDTV Plasmas Vs. HDTV Plasmas: Drawing Some Conclusions About Native Resolutions".