AMD gaming rig - PLEASE PLEASE - Any suggestions/changes?

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Ok, so I am currently deployed out to BFE (Iraq) and it totally sucks, but it did however provide me with the opportunity to save up some cash and finally purchase the parts to build my first gaming rig. I have long contimplated the whole Intel build vs. AMD build, and I saw that there was pros to both of them. I figured that a quest for the perfect computer will always be never-ending due to how fast the technology world changes these days. My decision was to go with the cheaper AMD build. Reason being, I have really only played EQ1 and 2 and WoW, all three games of which don't require much in the way of a high-end system. I did however want to make my rig good enough so that if I did choose to play Bioshock or Crysis down the road, I would be able to do that.

That being said, check my hardware at the bottom of this post. Those items, along with all the PC cooling fans/fan controller/round cables is what I bought to work with. I would like to get some feedback from ya'll and see what you think. If there is anything that you would change, or maybe even some suggestions when building time comes that you may have for me, I would love to hear it.

Also, I was planning to Raid 0 the Raptor drives and data the Seagate...sound efficient? Anyone not recommend that?

Thanks in advance for your time to review my post and reply back with your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

That being said, check my hardware at the bottom of this post.

You are typing in 'invisible' mode. I hate when that happens. What hardware are you referring too?

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ - eVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (621 core, 1512 shader, 2160 memory) - 4GB(4x1GB) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Mem - 2x Western Digital Raptor HD(Raid 0) - 320GB Seagate Barracuda ES(Data) - 2x Samsung 226BW 22" LCD

Mr. Invisible is no longer!!

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo

Popular choice. Great if you are running SLI, but will not support upcoming 45nm CPUs, so it's a bit of a dead end, but still capable of supporting a powerful system

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Ok, fast and not overly expensive, but an overclocked low cost, lower end C2D performs as well. I own a lot of AMD chips as well as C2D and Quad cores. I prefer the Intel chips right now.

4GB(4x1GB) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Mem

4GBs is great if you are running a 64 bit OS (Vista 64 bit is great). Should overclock real well if that's your intention. My OCZ does.

2x Western Digital Raptor HD(Raid 0)

Should be super fast. You might consider setting those up on a movable third party PCI RAID controller. I have 4 Raptors and use them all as single OS sytem drives on my systems.

320GB Seagate Barracuda ES(Data)

Unless your trying to store all of Turner's classics on there you should be fine as far as internal space.

2x Samsung 226BW 22" LCD

The second would be 'spensive for me.

eVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (621 core, 1512 shader, 2160 memory)

The most powerful card on the market save the Ultra. Should do you extremly well.

Well, I'm sure that system will perform great. I'd like to build something like that for my son who games a lot. He's currently using an AMD X2 4800 with two 7800GT's in SLI.

Take care in Iraq and best of luck. (Don't forget to duck :hello: )

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Thanks for the reply, badge.

Do you think that I should try and resell my mobo and CPU and go for an Intel approach? I have the money to do it if you think it would be that much better?...in terms of upgrade ability in the future as well as gaming performance right now.

By the way, I was planning to buy the 64 bit OEM version of XP Pro w/SP3C. I was still a little nervous about Vista at this point. DX10 though... /drool

FYI

**Case: Apevia X-Pleasure RD Full Tower
**CPU Cooler: ZEROTherm BTF90
**PSU: GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W

I used the Newegg PSU Calculator and it looks like I might be cutting it close for power once I had in all the fans, etc. <sigh> /slap myself

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Are you sure you are not confusing AMD and Intel here? I haven't read anything regarding the compatibility of AMD processors on 45nm and Nvidia chipsets while it is commonly known that NVs Intel platform won't hold 45nm quads.

- I'd take a few moments to evaluate the complexity/expense of the Raid array against the simplicity and speed of the newest 32MB cache 7200 RPM HDD's - The Hitachi Deskstar and the Seagate 7200.11's. Is a Raid array really necessary when the two aforementioned HDDs are less than $300 for 1TB of storage, and are capable of sustaining 100MB/s???

Regarding RAM: Some mobos don't like driving 4 DIMMS at once. If you can find a 2x2 GB kit with good speed and timings I'd go that way instead.

Good Luck in Iraq. I got stuck helping George Sr the first time... :p

a 6pack in

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
i think you got a solid system on your hands.. i did a lot of thinking on the cpu brand and type also.. and ultimately i decided amd.. its cost effective, great overclocking. and honestly as time is continuing i feel its more dependent on your GPU than your CPU.

and w/ that 8800 GTX you are good for a while man

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Thanks for the replys.

Scotteq ~

I decided to go Vista 64-bit Home Premium, instead of the 64 XP and so I am going to see how it takes my 4x1 (since they are already bought and sitting on my bed back home) before going 2x2. I heard that my mobo is kind of picky with the RAM, so I wanted to make sure that it takes a liking before I order something else. Plus, the OCZ Reaper mem looks so bada$$!! :-D

The HD Config...I suppose since those are already bought as well, it makes the decision now easier. I'm going to rip them in Raid 0 for a bit and consider your option with the next build.

A 6pack In ~

Sounds like we think alike! I gave up on the rollercoaster, can't-make-up-my-mind stuff and just went with the cost effective approach. I can hold off on the quad-core and all that until prices drop. GPU though...GIMME GIMME!!

SIDE NOTE:

I was really kind of worried about having sufficient power from that 700W GameXstream that I got...but no one has said anything. I am not sure if I should worry more, or worry less. SOMEONE MAKE ME FEEL AT EASE!!! :-D

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Wth have people been recommending?...sheesh...

So far the rig looks fine. If you want to play crysis down the road, drop the single 8800 GTX, you are nabbing a SLI mobo, naab two 8800 GT's or GTS g92's instead. The 8800 GTX is EXTERMELY overpriced for the performance now-a-days. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Some advice has been good, some not too good.

the 8800 GT's offer just about the same amount of performance as a GTX, with less power consumption, for half the cash, they run for around 250-300 depending where you get it. Sometimes a little more. Just pick up tw0 8800 GT's and sli. They will dominate a single 8800 GTX..and it costs just about the same price, if not a tad bit more. Don't get the 8800 GTX, not worth it..It's been out for ages....It's not for no reason both ATI/Nvidia have released mid ranged video cards that offer performance levels of their high end, with all this tri-sli and crossfirex talk, we are in the age of multi graphics card setups. For the price, it really is fantastic right now offering great performance.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1057&model2=706&chart=318

Look at the chart, it's right on the heels of the 8800 GTX, check the other game titles to get more detailed info....Check this SLI chart as well.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1068&model2=804&chart=378

the 8800 GT sli is right on it's heels. Why pay 500 or so for a 8800 GTX, when you can nab a 8800 GT for 250-300 depending on where you get it?...If you want to go even better, you could nab two 8800 GTS 512 (g92's, make sure you get the 512 version if you do, that is the g92 GTS). Compare the dual 8800 GT to the single 8800 GTX from the two benchmark pages, the performance increase is massive. Get two 8800 GT's or GTS g92's. You'll get a massive performance increase for the same price or a tad bit more.

For the hard drives, you don't need tow raptors in a raid 0 array. It has no data redundancy whatsoever. Trust me, a single raptor will do just fine. It will also be great for MMO's for quicker loading times in game. If you don't care about data redundancy, then do what you will ^_^.

Motherboard, fine, it also supports dual 16X pci-e lanes at full bandwidth. So a SLI setup would work well for it.

I can't stress the graphics card choice enough, drop the 8800 GTX for a 8800 GT to save some cash, or get two for SLI. Crysis is a VERY demanding game, even a 8800 GTX is brought down to it's heels. But with a 8800 GT/GTS g92 SLI setup, you'll be able to enjoy it with some nice eye candy.

Hope this helps...I also hope you haven't purchased yet, cause that 8800 GTX is a big mistake!

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I completely agree with kamrooz, go with a 8800 gt or a pair of them in sli.

As for your power supply, you should be more than fine with a bit of room to spare in the future. I would be surprised if what you're building right now (even with dual gt's, raid, etc) would draw more than 500 watts. And, as far as amps are concerned, with 4 12v rails with 18A each, you should be good to go.

Good luck with your build and better luck in Iraq. I served a year in 2003, if the heat doesn't kill you there are plenty of others ready to volunteer. ;)

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Ahh, didn't notice your PSU situation. The Gamexstream would be good, but drop it and get this instead. If you want to go with a even higher quality PSU, you could get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

It has a single 12 rail with 60 amps, 12 amps less then the gamexstream, but the parts are of higher quality. Use this list to help yu decide....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

If cost is an issue for you, the gamexstream is a good way to go.

Honestly though, considering how you are spending on that x6000, you may as well nab a intel rig with a e6750. It's 40 dollars more, offers better performance, although it is clocked 340 mhz slower. The core architecture has proven time and time again, it's a higher performance architecture than the x2's. even at 2.66 ghz, the e6750 beats the x2 6000. If you plan to overclock, these intel processors can oc DAMN far. Heck, q6600's can be oc'ed from 2.4 to 3 ghz without even a voltage change. It's not uncommon to see them hit 3.6 ghz, which is a 50% OC....With the e6750, thanks to it being only two cores, you can oc them extremely well without much worrying about heat.

Although I would recommend nabbing a aftermarket cooler if you plan to do so, if money isn't an issue, a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme with a S-flex SF21FF fan is great (60 + 11 or so), if money is a issue, a Arctic freezer 7 (20 bucks, offers better performance than the stock heatsink). This way you get the most for your money. AMD has dug themselves a pretty deep whole with Phenom, it will take some time for them to get out, so you really won't have much upgrade options until phenom is fixed, but even so, the intel platform is a fantastic overclocking rig. Choice is yours, check these benchmarks for comparisons.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=921&model2=873&chart=425

Browse between the applications and you'll see the difference, regardless of the e6750 being clocked at 2.66, it's still superior, plus the oc ability of the core architecture is off the charts compared to the athlons. What's nice about the intel solution, down the road, if the processor gets a bit slow, you can just oc it pretty damn far to make up for it. It has a lot longer lifespan than the athlon x2 6000 offers. Even though you have a lot of upgradability with athlon based boards...You'll end up upgrading your processor a lot quicker then you would this intel offer.

It's somewhat of a trade off atm, phenom is lacking, don't know when it will be fixed, so upgrading to phenom is a bit hazy right now since it can't even out perform the x2's in certain scenarios. Meanwhile, intels current platform dies at the end of 2008, the last upgrade will be penryn which is a downside. But you'd still get a lot more life span out of the intel processor....But when you do upgrade and decide to go nehalem at late 2008/early 2009, you'll have to get a new motherboard also. Choice is yours. ^_^

dwthor02

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
ive been rather happy with my amd rig. you could consider getting a 6400 black ed. it does get slightly better marks. if you plan on keeping that rig i would consider getting different cards:)

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I have already purchased everything, but if I did decide to go a different route and buy something new, I can use what I already bought in a different rig. Hmm, maybe I should build my AMD rig and then build a Intel one to have both! :-D It would totally have eliminated my contemplation on which build to go with! HMMM

Kamrooz ~

Thanks for all the info, suggestions and links. I should have plenty of reading to do in my spare time now over here in the desert, and it shined some light on some things I previous wasn't thinking too hard on. I got my 8800GTX for $400.... Does that help to say that you would use it over the 2 GT's or the 2 GTS's?? I honestly have only played WoW for the last 2.5 years, but I had my account hacked while I am over here playing in the sand, and I fear that I won't be able to recover it once I return to the states next month. <sigh> That's why I was thinking I would start a new game...a game that would push the new system build a little bit since WoW is a pushover for it :p

KekaiGenkai ~

Thanks for posting and giving your 2 cents. I am already looking for a friend that might want the GTX card and I am looking into getting the 2 GTS cards. I WANT WARHAMMER! I love MMORPGs, its the only thing that doesn't bore me after a few weeks, but I need a new WoW replacement. Vanguard disappointed most people and Warhammer...I heard that the PvP aspect may not be what I was hoping for. All in all, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will be persuing them and keeping my OCZ PSU.

dwthor02 ~

I was actually looking at the 6400 B Edition yesterday and I was thinking about going with that. Thing is, I was getting curious and kept looking at Intel... /smack! I know, shame on me, but I really figured that I would go with what I had and then maybe at the end of next year, go with something new. I realize that its hard to always have what you want, when technology and your mind changes so quickly. Nice system by the way :)

Again, thanks for the replys guys! Gives me even more to think about.

Sniper out!

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
AFSniper:

First off, I'd like to thank you for your service in Iraq ^_^. Regarding your questions,

400 for a GTX isn't bad, but it's still a card that has been out for 13 months, when you think about it that way, it's a real turn off. The 9800 series is rumored for a 1q 2008 February release, we have no idea if it's true though. WoW is a real pushover when it comes to graphics though, I haven't played it though, I was a lineage 2 man ^_^ (I miss my account =(...), I told myself I would never play wow in fear of getting addicted, and I stayed with that. But even so, we all want to play other games as well. For the money though...The GTX is overpriced, a 8800 GTSg92 offers pretty much identical performance to the 8800 GTX, behind by as much at .5 fps in some titles, while in other titles ahead, they go for around 370 or so retail brand new. They also take less power, since they are on a smaller process, which would mean less on your electric bill, who doesn't like to save money? (not the case for SLI though, chances are it will be slightly more, or slightly less) ^_^.

Is the 8800 GTS g92 worth it?...no, it's too much of a premium, If it was priced at around 300, yes it would be, but the 8800 GT's priced at around 250-300 offer nearly the same performance as a GTX, for a fraction of the cost. Is it worth getting two 8800 GT's in SLI?...absolutely, is it good for you? It all depends on your resolution, what resolution do you play in? size of monitor? native res? All are key factors for SLI needs. If you play at 1650 or above...Will two 8800 GT's beat a single 8800 GTX in sli capable games? Absolutely yes...By how much? Massive...

Check these charts out, keep in mind these are only a few titles, not all games support SLI, but all the newer games will be slowly transitioning over since SLI/Crossfire is becoming more affordable, with large benefits.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1057&model2=706&chart=318

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1068&model2=804&chart=378

As you can see, the first chart is for single solutions, the second is for a SLI solution. The first chart shows a 8800 GT g92, and a 8800 GTX in a single setup. The second chart, shows the 8800 GT in SLI, and the 8800 GTX in SLI. Now compare the two, notice how close they are...Now look at the first chart's 8800 GTX (which you have), and compare it to the second charts 8800 GT Sli...See the difference?..for almost the same price as well (if you get the 8800 GTX at 500 retail). Now, browse between the other titles if you wish, such as battlefield 2142 at 1920x1200 resolution with 4xaa and 8xaf. Look at the 8800 GT/GTX in the single chart, they are both matched identically...Look at the SLI setups 8800 GT which you can get for the same price as a GTX, it's literally double the performance...a single 8800 GTX and 8800 GT SLI cost nearly the same. It should be obvious which way to go. Crysis is way too demanding of a game for even a GTX, SLI really does help since they are fixing the SLI/Crossfire issues with the game (didn't support it well before). Overall, for the same cash, you get a SUBSTANTIAL boost in frames. But keep in mind not all games support SLI..those that don't, you might see just a tad bit less performance then a single card setup, or the same performance as a single card setup. But regardless, the future titles are all becoming more sli/cf supportive, so it makes sense.

I love MMO's also, but damn do I get addicted, I should never have sold my 70 TH (Treasure Hunter, Human dagger class) in Lineage 2, but I got a pretty penny for him ^_^. But it's good to see you picked up raptors, they offer a beneficial performance to MMO's. Have you every played an MMO and the comp would lag or freeze up for a second or two when running, and it's always in that same damn spot?, meanwhile, in the distance, you start seeing new areas beginning to render and pop in. Same goes with lots of characters, as you run, and they come into view, it begins to lag as their textures loads up.....Full world rendered MMO's that aren't preloaded realms benefit heavily from raptors, their faster random access time and IO performance help in pulling/finding the small amounts of data quickly, it will end up speeding up your gaming experience and eliminating those pesky lag scenarios. Glad to see you are getting them, I'm nabbing 2 for my next rig, one for xp 64 bit, and one for vista home premium 64 bit, I'm going to dual boot each, with the paging file on the opposite drive. Damn I get giddy! But think about it this way, In full world MMO's without any preloaded realms, all those textures, mobs, models, are in tiny files on the drive, with a raptor's faster access times, you'll be able to locate and load the files at a quicker rate...Yes the new PMR drives may beat the raptor in read/write performance thanks to the newer technology, but they still can't touch the Raptors IO/access time performance.

But yea, you made some good choices, I'm not sure if a raid would be the best route, but that's up to you. Raptors are heaty and loud suckers, so having them both roar up to full speed will generate some heat and noise. choice is yours though.

BTW, I'mma add you to my contact list, always looking for fellow MMO'ers...I try to play new ones from time to time, if I get addicted, I dedicated and enjoy, going to add you just in case we end up playing the same game ^_^, after all, you always need some friends to play with, and especially people you can trust when it comes to MMO's ^_^.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer as soon as I read it.

BES

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Im fond of the Phenom cpu, you dont really need an UBER graphics card with it...example:

I ran Crysis with this setup and was able to set everything to Very High and still have average 22fps
Phenom 2.3ghz
ASUS M2N-E Ultra motherboard(with bios update for the phenom)
8800GTS 320meg(yeah this a low end card)
6gigs DDR2 800 ram
onboard sound
1 SATA 1.5gb/s 70gig drive
1 SATA 3.0gb/s 320gig drive

nothing was over clocked

With the same setup as above but with my previous chip,the Athlon64 x2 3.0ghz I was only able to run Crysis with med settings....seems with the Phenom it took the rest of the load off the graphics card or something.

Yes I know those chips have some issues atm..but they are cheap, the system above is cheap,except the ram...but you should be able to use 2-4 gigs of it and get the same result..

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
May I ask how they are cheap? they cost the same as a q6600 which performs better, AMD needs to reposition their pricing, their 2.6 phenom couldn't even beat a q6600, the 2.4 is even priced at 315 which is considered "cheap" for the 2.4...

Personally..I'm avoiding phenom like the plague. Even AMD admitted that the issue with phenom is the design, not the manufacturing. Intel for me atm, till AMD solves the issues, but I'm glad to see they stood up and admitted it. They have nowhere to move but forward.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35262/118/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247005-28-admits-phenom-disappointment

BES

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
I got mine for $215, AMD will drop their prices soon since no ones going to buy them anymore due to a minor hitch,yes to me its minor you cant tell the difference really unless you benchmark it against an intel quad.

But anyway I gave my suggestion..its up to AFSniper now...

I dont believe alot of the reviews people give about any hardware unless I try it myself...

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007

The whole list is bad!

8800GTX is obsolete. Go with 8800GTS (G92) and make sure to get model that says G92!

Stick with 2 stix of ram, not 4.

Raiding raptors is going to degrade performance in some key areas while barely increasing it in others. You're better off with one raptor and a better media drive. Or maybe one of those new SSDs (recently reviewed by Tom's) instead of the two raptors.

X2 6000 is a space heater. You wont notice a difference between a 6000 and the highest clocked brisbane.

Mobo is too expensive. Are you gonna use SLI?

2x22 monitors is silly. It is better to have one 32" panel. (Costs a bit more but you'll be saving money by not buying the 8800GTX!) You will get the same surface area and a better aspect ratio. Better for movies too, obviously. It's important to think about the future when buying a monitor. 2x22 is not very future proof. A 32" panel is! It could one day be 2x32", when you totally go insane!

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sure,run this setup.

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 15,686

Have fun and enjoy.I'm having an awesome time with my setup.Goodluck.

Dahak

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007

Read the thread bro, too late, he bought before some suggestions could be made. It's all right though, he might sell the 8800 GTX to a friend.

2 sticks or 4 sticks, it's preference, let him get what he wants.

I agree with the raptor argument, it would be best to just run a raptor by itself, and the second one as another os while running the paging file. SSD's though?...out of the question, they range from 28-33 dollars per GB, that's ludicrous to consider it. SSD's won't be affordable for a while, EARLIEST scenario, late 2009, most like late 2010.

The x6000 isn't bad, intel processors are better overall, and can oc to keep their lifetime longer, but once again it's too late.

mobo wise, he might nab two 8800 GT's if he sells his 8800 GTX, we have to wait and see what he decides.

regarding the monitors, depends if he wants two. Personally I'd rather grab one larger monitor than anything else, a nice high quality IPS panel monitor. But if he needs two, and plans to use them both efficiently, more power to him.

funnyman06

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Everyone keeps doggin the raided raptor drives. HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY PLAYED WITH THEM. i got a HP workstation in at work an e6700 and 2 160 GB 10K Sata Drives. so i raided them with the onboard intel sata. Holy crap those things are fast as hell. Its not all about bandwidth, there is much to be said about access times. When installing SP2 normally takes about 10 minutes on this it took about 2. So dont dog the Raptor Drives, they are still the quickest thing out there, other than SSD.

Also if he is running x64, why not have 4 gigs of ram, he already has them. More ram is always better than faster ram, thats just how it is.

Nice Rig man, yeah the 8800GTX is old, but 400 bucks is a good price.

Keep your head down in Iraq, like u said not much longer to go.

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Wow! Lots of posts since I went to bed. And lots more good things to think about. Yes, I have already bought the parts, but I can always use them toward another machine and buy something new. Don't forget that I am deployed and earning some extra money :-D

Monitor- I had 1 already but hadn't bought the second. I think for now I will just stick with the single and go for the 32" next upgrade. By the way, I have a 32" sitting at home already on a media build :-D

Raptors- Yes I already have bought them, but I could just save 1 or both for something later on. The 190 bucks or whatever I paid for both doesn't make me too mad if I don't use them on this new rig. I can always use them for upgrading a friend's or family's PC during christmas time. I am like computer Santa every year anyways!

Honestly though, I think I will give them a shot and go with the suggested option next upgrade. I suppose the performance gain or value that I reap from them will depend on the game(s) that I play. Trial and error baby!!

GPU- The GTX...I will sell it if I can find a buyer for it, and in the meantime, I will work on purchasing the 2 8800GTs for SLI. You all have convinced me on that one. On that note, if anyone happens to know someone that would want the GTX for $375, let me know :p

RAM- I got some (I think) 2GB sticks sitting around at home that I never ended up using for a friend's rig, so I will use those if he doesn't want them anymore, and then I'll turn the 4x1's into christmas gifts as well. Will the 2x2GB really be that much better than the 4x1GB? By that, I mean, if it was the same brand/style RAM. And also assuming that I have both choices already on hand.

I am continually impressed by the number or replies I have gotten and the amount of possitive criticism/comments that you all have given me. I really appreciate it and I will take it all into consideration. After all, I need all the help I can get!! :-D

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
For the current MMOs that setup seems more than adequate mate. What games do you guys play?

I played a lot of WoW, now trying pretty much all the F2P ones. Perfect World seems interesting, Sword of the New World has some cool concepts. Main problem is 99% are very grind dependent :(

AFSniper

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I played EQ1 for 5 years then a few months of EQ2 before going to WoW...which has ate the last 2.5 years of my life. I want to play WoW when I return from deployment, but unfortunately my account got hacked and Blizzard is being NOOBS!

I want to play another MMORPG, but I fear that I will compare it to WoW and lose interest. That's what happened to me after 3 days of Guild Wars(sucks!). I kind of want to try Warhammer Online, but it isn't out until like April(?)...

I need a new "WoW" with better graphics and less 14 year old kids! I don't mind the grinding so much as long as it looks good and has good PvP content.

~There's a sand storm again today here in the desert. For all of you ex-military folks that read this~

:)