4 gig not supported????

izreal

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Hello all, I've been reading alot about my motherboard P5N-E being able to support 8gig of ram but heres the problem i know im using a 32-bit windows and i cant run more than 3 gig or can i???? And why are they posting that this mobo can use upto 8gig??? If you were using 64-bit windows??? Or what its really so confusing is there a way i can use more than 3 gig??? Some trick or what?? Thanks...

In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- Configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size. e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP/Vista 32-bit version operating systems.

If you install a Windows operating system, if more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then the below conditions should be met:

1. The memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, AMD K8, and newer can support the memory swap function.

2. Windows XP Pro X64 Ed. (64-bit), Windows Vista 64, or other OS which can address more than 4GB memory.

Note: According to the latest Change Log published my Microsoft, Windows Vista 32bit SP1 will display the installed amount of RAM. It is unclear at this point whether or not that memory will actually be available for use, or if it's simply change to the display.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
*prays to the sticky gods*

please ... for the love of all that is holy and transistor filled, someone put a sticky up so that these questions will stop being asked...

*expire*

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007

It must comment those :) Vista's default mode is PAE (due to DEP), so the restraint is artificially made by Microsoft

toysareforboys

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'll hijack this thread then, cause I got the same problem as the poster.

Is there ANY way to have the system properties screen (say in XP Pro 32bit) say 4GB of ram?? There MUST be some hack out there to do it? I remember back in the Windows 98 days I installed some "memory doubler" program and it showed me 64mb instead of 32mb :).

I don't care if it actually uses it or not, just make it SAY how much ram is INSTALLED (not useable).

My config: Asus P5E-VM with Q6600 CPU, 4 x 2gb "Kingbox" DDR2-800 ram (yes, 8 gigs, and my system properties say 2.8GB, if I put in a 2gb stick and 1gb stick, it says 3.0GB, go figure), 4 x 500gb Seagate Baracuda ES.2 SATA2-300 hard drives, onboard video for now, some POS power supply.

And no, I don't want to "upgrade" to 64bit OS.

-Jamie M.

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007

well windows server 2003 can address more than 4gb through PAE, but yeah all consumer OS's cap out at 2^32 bytes aka 4gb address space.