Sign in with
Your question

Refresh Rate

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2007 2:00:09 PM

Whats up with my monitor? Anything over 60 refresh and the image becomes all distorted, like it gets dark and blurry. If my monitor cant support more than a 60 refresh rate, i wouldnt have an option to change it, Right? I`m using a 7900 GT, getting an 8800 GT soon thou, could it be the card itself? Im using a 19 inch LCD from BENQ. I can live with a 60 refresh rate, but it seems a waste when i get an fps higher than 60 and the monitor cant display more than 60 frames per second.

Any opinions are helpful.

More about : refresh rate

December 17, 2007 2:23:11 PM

thegatekeeper said:
Whats up with my monitor? Anything over 60 refresh and the image becomes all distorted, like it gets dark and blurry. If my monitor cant support more than a 60 refresh rate, i wouldnt have an option to change it, Right? I`m using a 7900 GT, getting an 8800 GT soon thou, could it be the card itself? Im using a 19 inch LCD from BENQ. I can live with a 60 refresh rate, but it seems a waste when i get an fps higher than 60 and the monitor cant display more than 60 frames per second.

Any opinions are helpful.

Technically anything above 30FPS is a waste? Once you dip below that you'll start to slideshow. 60Hz for LCD is 'The' Standard, running any higher just puts a little more load on the GPU with no mentionable gain I believe.
December 17, 2007 2:36:21 PM

Monitors have set limits to the refresh rates they are capable of handling. If you go above that, you can damage your monitor.

Alot of LCDs cap out at 60 Hz. CRTs will go higher.

In any case, don't set it higher than your monitor can handle!

Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2007 3:23:52 PM

In XP there's a checkbox in Control Panel, "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". You better leave that checked, or you may have to go shopping for a new monitor soon.

Some LCDs support better refresh rates than others. For example the Viewsonic VX2025WM I got at work offers 75Hz at 1680x1050. My LG and Samsung monitors at home are limited to 60Hz at the same resolution.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 193 C Monitor
December 17, 2007 3:35:27 PM

You should probably check off that box which states "Hide refresh rate not supported by monitor." Or something to that effect.

Using DVI-D, LCD monitors can only refresh at 60Hz.
December 17, 2007 4:30:58 PM

crt's are better anyway.

the only thing lcd's have on crt's so far is that they're lighter
December 17, 2007 5:00:51 PM

They take up less room and generate less heat. Space was one of the motivating factors to get me to switch from CRT to LCD. :p 
December 17, 2007 5:08:59 PM

bildo123 said:
Technically anything above 30FPS is a waste? Once you dip below that you'll start to slideshow. 60Hz for LCD is 'The' Standard, running any higher just puts a little more load on the GPU with no mentionable gain I believe.

Why would it put more load on the GPU? Your GPU would be on load regardless with vsync on or off.

Most people can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Some people can tell higher than 60fps.
December 17, 2007 5:10:59 PM

cleeve said:
Monitors have set limits to the refresh rates they are capable of handling. If you go above that, you can damage your monitor.

Alot of LCDs cap out at 60 Hz. CRTs will go higher.

In any case, don't set it higher than your monitor can handle!

They do have a set limit but I haven't had any problem running my monitor above set limit. CRT did damage very easily when you set your refresh rate higher than the set limit but newer LCD do not have this problem far as I can tell.

I've been running my LCD @ 75htz for over a year and it is supposed to be 60htz. Not a single problem but it works great when you want to have vsync enabled and have higher average fps.
December 17, 2007 10:18:04 PM

Mosst lcds cap ot at 60htz as said above. Also as said above click the don't show refresh rates my monitor cannot support box. 60htz hurts my eyes, I have to stick with 85htz. Crt all the way!
December 17, 2007 11:06:40 PM

valis said:
crt's are better anyway.

Yes, but try to find a cheap CRT.

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 18, 2007 1:49:00 AM

smokedyou911 said:
Mosst lcds cap ot at 60htz as said above. Also as said above click the don't show refresh rates my monitor cannot support box. 60htz hurts my eyes, I have to stick with 85htz. Crt all the way!

60Hz on a CRT hurts my eyes too, big time. 85 Hz on a CRT is much better. However, 60 Hz on an LCD is just as good as 85 Hz on a CRT, maybe even better. If you've never tried an LCD you should, you might have a nice surprise.
Just my personal opinion. I'm not an expert on monitors, I just happen to stare at one for 8 hours a day at work and a bit more at home. I used to think like you and I was shocked to discover that the LCD had no flicker at all and my eyes actually felt better in the evening.
December 18, 2007 2:18:17 AM

marvelous211 said:
I've been running my LCD @ 75htz for over a year and it is supposed to be 60htz. Not a single problem but it works great when you want to have vsync enabled and have higher average fps.

Maybe thats because the monitor isn't really running at 60 or 75Hz, since LCDs don't refresh in the same way as CRTs. As far as I know, the refresh rate of LCDs is more a backwards compatibility thing for video cards which still support CRTs (which is all of them). Once video cards stop supporting CRTs, this refresh rate rating may disappear from LCDs. That is unless there is something still tying the LCD to the refresh rate, but since you can run yours higher, that doesn't seem the case.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 193 C Monitor
December 18, 2007 8:39:57 AM

LCDs do not flicker like CRTs, so the refresh rate is more or less meaningless. Nothing on the screen is redrawn unless the image actually changes.
December 18, 2007 11:48:19 AM

valis said:
crt's are better anyway.

LCDs have more accurate geometry, they are less tiring on the eyes and they use less power.
December 18, 2007 1:13:00 PM

valis said:
crt's are better anyway.

I bet you are one of those people who own a 1972 Chevrolet Silverado- 4 wheel drive -heavy duty half ton pickup with a 400 big block belching smoke and unburned gas fumes that send everyone into tears on the freeway behind you, and drinking gas at the rate of 7 miles per gallon, and all the while declaring new trucks are worthless and "they don't build em like the used too"
Just kidding, but really.......

I have to agree with other's here. The only thing a CRT is "better" at, is maintaining a high degree of accuracy in a fast moving game. LCD's will have some image distortion, or tearing as I believe it is called. The are getting much, much better, but the CRT still has a slight advantage here, but it is a outdated technology that is all but dead.
In a very few years, you will not be able to buy a CRT moniter, or a standard television for that matter. They are/have been being phased out for several years.

Other than that, LCD's are ligher, cooler, use way less energy, have a a much more vivid screen that is easier on your eyes, and to most people just generally "look" a lot nicer than the picture you can get from any CRT. LCD technology has come a long ways, and you can buy higher end units that are fast enough to nearly keep up with a CRT, one could not "see" the difference.
December 18, 2007 1:30:09 PM

The only real problem with LCD is running at a non-native resolution.

Owning a 24" sucks a little for Crysis; it's really hard on the hardware to run it that high, but if I lower the resolution under 1920x1200 I take a huge quality hit.

CRTs scale beautifully though. They have a maximum resolution, but ther's no 'native' resolution like LCD, they can display many resolutions without interpolation (downsampling or upsampling).

December 18, 2007 3:13:43 PM

My monitor is set not to display refresh rates it cant handle, thats why i made this post. I mean its a waste getting 100 fps in a game when your monitor can only show 60. It seems that the monitor gets blurred when increase the refresh rate, maybe its getting old?
December 18, 2007 3:19:16 PM

Just keep ramping up the eye candy until you're down to 60 fps. Problem solved. :) 
December 18, 2007 11:23:11 PM

cleeve said:
The only real problem with LCD is running at a non-native resolution.

Owning a 24" sucks a little for Crysis; it's really hard on the hardware to run it that high, but if I lower the resolution under 1920x1200 I take a huge quality hit.

CRTs scale beautifully though. They have a maximum resolution, but ther's no 'native' resolution like LCD, they can display many resolutions without interpolation (downsampling or upsampling).

There are still limits for scaling on CRTs in my experience. Though this only matters for very low resolutions like 800x600 or lower. At least on my 19" CRT, ant anything below 1024x768 (and even a little at that resolution) horizontal lines can be seen making up the image, rather than a consistent image. At 1152x864 and higher this is no longer noticeable. I never play above 1280x960 because it doesn't look any better to me, and it just takes more effort and more time to move my mouse across a greater number of pixels.
December 19, 2007 1:41:46 PM

I haven't has the same CRT scaling issues you have, but I imagine not all CRTs are created equal.

Having said that, I think it's safe to say in general scaling on a CRT wil look a lot better than scaling on an LCD.

On my old 19" CRT, 1600x1200 looks a lot better than 1280x1024, but like I said... not all CRTs are created equal.
!