Data form in word 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timhall1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello,

i have been using word 97 until recently. it had a data form that i used to edit my mailing list. it allowed me to enter new addresses easily, correct old ones, move easily to any part of the mailing list and to find names via a find feature. now that i have to use word 2010 i cannot find this feature. can anyone help me? i assume that there must be an analogous feature in word 2010 which would allow such editing of a mailing list.

thank you,
tim

timhall1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
this is way beyond me. i do not understand ribbons and what is meant by "forms" here. i have a mailing list; all i want is to be able to edit it. i have found controls that allow me to move around in it and find names or other words, then edit those entries. but i cannot figure out how to simply enter another name and address into it. in word 97 this was as simple as scratching your nose. it cannot be difficult; there must be a tool to do it. given that my question has been up on tom's for a month without a reply and never got a reply at all on the equivalent microsoft forum, i am mystified. this has worked for me for years; suddenly it seems impossible. i do not have time to become a word expert, but i don't see why i should have to. i have one simple function i want to do....

timhall1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
i know how to do the mail merge. all i am talking about is how to make an entry into the mailing list. i am not even sure that the suggestion above deals with my question. i can't go learning whole new processes without being sure that they are aimed at my [problem. people keep making suggestions to me as if i am asking how to do mailmerge. no, that is not it. i have made it extremely plain what i want to do, why is it so difficult?

timhall1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
as i said i have already created a data source and used it in many mailmerges. it is small, about 350 entries, and will probably not exceed 500 in the future. are you saying that word 2010 requires an entirely new data source? word 2010 re[produces accurately my existing data source and i can move around within it and delete and correct old material but i cannot find how to add new material. plus i have not done mailmerge from word 2010 yet. maybe that will pose new problems. are you saying that there does not exist a function that will allow me to add new material to that mailing list and that, therefore, i will have to learn your new way?

timhall1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
i am not asking to do something new, radical, very different, just to something that i have been doing for years. are you saying that the "improved" word requires learning what would be very new for me in order just to do what i have been doing for a long time? does that make sense? i do not have the time because i have other demands in my life. i am not a tecchie, i have other priorities. i expected to use what had become a simple tool to me. this is like buying a new car and finding that inflating the tires can no longer be done with a tube at a gas station but one needs to learn a new language to do the same old thing. does that make any sense? to you folks i know this sounds stupid. but i am not a luddite; i just want to find something to replace my wrench because it seems not to exist any more. thanks a lot microsoft!

timhall1

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
oh, ok, now i see what your are getting at. i guess. it sits there, i can open it and do some things with it in 2010. i guess you are saying that essentially the machinery of dealing with it, not of dealing with 2010 mailing lists, does not exist in 2010. i will therefore learn to make a mailing list in 2010. but how can i save this material and transfer it to a new mailing list in 2010. i cannot afford to lose this material.

Status
Not open for further replies.