Can mobo cause 3D graphics freezing?

The_Gremlin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
There's a bit of a story behind this question.

I put a new rig together with:
MOBO -Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev.2.0)
CPU - Intel Q6600
VIDEO - Asus EN8800GT (the blue PCB version with large HS+Fan)
RAM - 4x1GB OCZ PC2-6400 EL Platinum XTC Rev 2.0
SOUND - Creative Audigy 2 ZS
PSU - Antec True Power Trio 430W

Apart from a bad floppy connector on the mobo (physically damaged), I got everything installed and working fine. Games worked awesome! Everything was good except no working floppy.

Anyway, I RMA'ed the mobo, and got the same model replacement except it was Rev.2.1. Did a straight swap of the mobo's and everything works as expected EXCEPT 3D games now (WOW, Crysis demo, Company of Heroes: Opposing Forces, 3DMark06 is all I've tried). The games/app start just fine, but after a few minutes it stutter for a few seconds and then freeze. Crysis is a bit different in that it crashes back to desktop as soon as a level is loaded. If I'm quick with WOW, I'm able to alt-tab back to the desktop, and everything at the desktop level seems to work fine.

I've tried updating drivers (chipset, audio and VGA), a fresh OS install and various BIOS setting all with the same effect (i.e. play for a few minutes then freeze). Both mobo's had the latest BIOS revision.

Is there any way this is a mobo problem, or am I correct in thinking the Video card is screwed?

The_Gremlin

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
To answer my own questions:
Yes, a mobo can contribute to graphics freezing. It turns out the problems I've been having are caused by incompatability/instability between my motherboard and my 4 sticks of RAM. Not sure why there were no issues with the Rev2.0. board but there are with the Rev2.1 board.

BTW, my graphics card works fine and is not the cause of the problem.

P.S. - the OCZ forum mods are great!!!