Sign in with
Your question

Disc drive does not recognise cd

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
May 12, 2010 8:32:59 PM

Hi - I really don't know what I am doing but perhaps some of you guys can help. I cleaned my Vaio laptop hard drive with a disc, therefore wiping out everything because I was giving it away.

I then used my System Reovery disk to recover all back to original factory settings, including windows xp. With the factory settings restored it also had an old copy of Norton Anti Virus on hard drive, which I removed completely so there is no sign of it anywhere also Symantec.

I then had to download a lot of windows critical updates because it had restored my laptop back to 3 years ago when I purchased it.

Great, I checked the hard drive which took an hour and also the disc drive, all OK. However when I load Norton 2010 it does not recognise it at all, nothing comes up, it just starts buzzing and goes quiet. I then tried to install Office 2003, to see if the Norton disk was faulty but again, it starts to buzz or sort of boot up and stops. I was using this laptop until 3 weeks ago, so why does disc drive not respond?

Any tips, ideas (throw it out of the window perhaps) would help as I do not know what else to do.

Thanks - I live in hope

Helena

More about : disc drive recognise

May 12, 2010 8:46:42 PM

Try going to device manager( Windows key + Pausebreak). Uninstall the drivers for your CD drive. Reboot, windows will detect new hardware and reinstall drivers. It may also be just be a coincidence that your CD drive has failed. Will it play an audio cd? If the drives are failing they may only read certain types of disc
Anonymous
May 13, 2010 8:00:24 PM

Thank youso much for that, although I do not really understand I will try it. The thing is it lall worked perfectly 4 weeks ago and disc drive only stopped reading disks when I took it back to factory settings. It does not actually play anything at all now for some strange reason which is beyond my thinking.

Once again thanks for tryhing to help me that is sweet of you, any morre ideas should you have them, let me know.

Best regards

Helena
Related resources
Anonymous
May 14, 2010 8:12:41 PM

You are more than wonderful!!!!!! Thank you so very much - this has worked and I don't even know what I am doing. Great of you to take the time and trouble to answer my pathetic plea.

Thanks again

Helena
May 15, 2010 1:05:45 AM

You're welcome :) 
!