croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Nope, they are B2 samples.... Note the comment about virtualization. Guess giving them away is better than using them for landfill.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

But hey... If you don't use virtualization, or a DB that can use all four cores and don't expect much of an overclock... For free, not a bad deal.

I've never heard of a chip making knowingly sending out defective CPUs with a promise to replace them later.

Any of the AMD people that are trying to say the errata isn't a big issue need to read this; because that obviously isn't the case.

Q4 numbers are going to be ugly.

Interesting find Baron, thanks for posting.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Now thats funny. Mrsbytch calling somebody a fanboy. Baron, BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING THEM FOR FREE. If AMD wanted to ship me free cpus ill take them in a heartbeat. Retail/ES samples/Bugged ill take them. I dont know how this would work. AMD sends you a chip kinda like netflix or something? Here is your cpu its free but when the retail ones are out you can buy that one. If the samples are working why would anybody by the retail.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Any of the AMD people that are trying to say the errata isn't a big issue need to read this; because that obviously isn't the case.

Need to read what? Ive read 99.9% of users will never experience a problem with the phenom. Problems are only in virtulization. I wouldnt call that defective. You get an A for effort though fanboy.

Good job for NOT reading. They're giving away Opteron engineering samples. I do see some heavy-load server applications and virtualization being used in a lot of companies today!

You're right. If the chips were defective they'd have to make some kind of work around or fix that would probably have some kind of trade off. It the chips were defective they'd probably be offering free upgrades to non-defective chips.

Oh wait... They are doing that stuff.

Baron, AMD admits they have problems with the chips, it's ok for you to admit it too.

sailer

Splendid
I can see one bit of good reasoning in this give away, especially since these are Opteron chips. If a company gets one free, it has to buy a new motherboard to use it to its full potential. Once that it has made that investment, it will be more likely to buy a B3 stepping chip when those become available. Thus AMD gets customers and ends up winning. And since these are engineering samples of a defective chip which would be thrown away anyway, it really isn't costing AMD anything more than the shipping charge to give them away. As I look at it in this light, it becomes a very good idea to give away these chips.

Where do I sign up for a free chip? :sol:

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Its a shame I don't live in the US. As soon as the B3 stepping came out I would be down at AMD like at shot routing round the bins for the hundreds ES chips thrown out.

Actually I might be in luck they should have some over at Dresden. I could go for a road trip to pick up some Phenoms and stop by the Nurbergring. Then I can manufactor a case out of ES Phenoms. LOL.

sailer

Splendid
Most likely. I doubt if there were all that many to start with. I'd expect most samples were either destroyed during the testing process or are still being held for further testing. Got to find out how to fix the errata bug some way, after all.

sailer

Splendid

Somehow convince AMD that you're from Dell or Hp and that you need one for testing on a motherboard that's being considered for use. Make sure you don't leave a return address from Intel either.