Building my first rig- need help choosing a motherboard- help!

Hey all,

I'm new to Tom's Forum. Looks great. Lot's of helpful threads.

Anyway, I'm ready to embark on my first build (no more Dell for me). Here is what I want to do:

Primary use: Gaming.

Processor: E8500 or Q9450

Memory: Corsair DDR2 800

GPU: 8800 GTS 512 (EVGA) (and I don't plan on doing SLI)

Windows Vista 32

Case: I don't know. Maybe the COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 RC-830-SSN3-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower or the Antec P182.

PowerSupply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W

I have never OC'd anything before, but would like to very modestly pump up the processor (call it jitters). I've been eyeing this motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard), but can a 100.00$ Mobo really be good enough? I love that price. Tell me it's a good buy :-)

Or should I go X38 and future proof myself a little more? Bottom line: If I can get by spending 100-160.00, that would be great.

Enlighten me O' wise ones!

Thanks,

Austin
4 answers Last reply
More about building choosing motherboard help
  1. GA-P35-DS3L is a great buy for the price and will support these CPU's... if you dont plan on SLI as you mention then that is all you need ;)
  2. Agree with the Gigabyte but you need/want more features check out the ASUS P5K E with or without WIFI. About $40 more but worth it if you'll use most of the features otherwise the GIGABYTE would be the way to go
  3. I think an ASUS P5K range motherboard is worth the extra money because of all the features
  4. Hey thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that that price range provides me with a good product. Many thanks again... Now if those darn 45nm's would come out...

Austin
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards