CD writer won't write

I have been using my CD writer to copy photos to a CD- Yesterday, it decided
it did not want to write anymore. It will still read and display any CD I use
but will not write- it goes through the entire process and then gives me the
error message-CD writing unsuccessful. Things that I have tried:
IMAPI restart
cleaning the drive
trying other documents and trying to copy to new DCs.

I tried to restore to a earlier time and that does not work
I am running Windows XP.

Malke

a601mom wrote:

> I have been using my CD writer to copy photos to a CD- Yesterday, it
> decided it did not want to write anymore. It will still read and
> display any CD I use but will not write- it goes through the entire
> process and then gives me the
> error message-CD writing unsuccessful. Things that I have tried:
> IMAPI restart
> cleaning the drive
> trying other documents and trying to copy to new DCs.
>
> I tried to restore to a earlier time and that does not work
> I am running Windows XP.

Things to try, making only one change at a time and testing after each
change:

1. Unplug the computer and open it. Reseat the ribbon cable to the cd
drive at both ends. Make sure the power supply connector is snug.

2. Make sure the drive is using the correct DMA transfer mode and not
PIO. Here is a link explaining that and how to fix it:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

3. Check the hardware by putting the drive in another computer. Will it
write there? If not, the drive should be replaced.

4. If the drive works well in another computer, does a different
known-working cd-rw drive work in your original computer? If not, then
you know the issue is with Windows and not the hardware.

Here are some additional links to help:

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R or
CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q324129

CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316529

Alex Nichol on cd burning in XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Thankyou- I endedup calling "Nerds on Call" and when they came out they found
they had to replace my cd writer. So everything is fine now.

"Malke" wrote:

> a601mom wrote:
>
> > I have been using my CD writer to copy photos to a CD- Yesterday, it
> > decided it did not want to write anymore. It will still read and
> > display any CD I use but will not write- it goes through the entire
> > process and then gives me the
> > error message-CD writing unsuccessful. Things that I have tried:
> > IMAPI restart
> > cleaning the drive
> > trying other documents and trying to copy to new DCs.
> >
> > I tried to restore to a earlier time and that does not work
> > I am running Windows XP.
>
> Things to try, making only one change at a time and testing after each
> change:
>
> 1. Unplug the computer and open it. Reseat the ribbon cable to the cd
> drive at both ends. Make sure the power supply connector is snug.
>
> 2. Make sure the drive is using the correct DMA transfer mode and not
> PIO. Here is a link explaining that and how to fix it:
> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
>
> 3. Check the hardware by putting the drive in another computer. Will it
> write there? If not, the drive should be replaced.
>
> 4. If the drive works well in another computer, does a different
> known-working cd-rw drive work in your original computer? If not, then
> you know the issue is with Windows and not the hardware.
>
> Here are some additional links to help:
>
> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R or
> CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q324129
>
> CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316529
>
> Alex Nichol on cd burning in XP
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

a601mom wrote:

> Thankyou- I endedup calling "Nerds on Call" and when they came out
> they found they had to replace my cd writer. So everything is fine
> now.

You're very welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let us know the
solution.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers