Switch from dual processor system?

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Hey guys, just need some help here with regards to my current setup. I bought a computer that I used for work recently and it's a great system. it was originally purchased for me in 2005 when there weren't a lot of dual core processors around. Its a dual processor workstation that currently has the following configuration:

Tyan 2895 Mobo Dual Socket 940(Awesome motherboard capable of handling dual core chips as well)
2 x opteron 246's 2.0 ghz
2 gb ram

Here is the thing, I am thinking about upgrading this machine however, cpu speeds and options have come around so fast now that I can possibly do my work (3d graphics and rendering) using a regular dual-core, single socket motherboard setup. I need some advice whether I should try and sell this setup now and go for the single socket setup or should I keep the current config and possibly just upgrade the chips as the come out?

There are a few things that I have considered. If I upgrade to a single socket, I will get an intel setup which seems to have quite a long future ahead of it seeing as how the board I would get would be capable of accepting quad core chips. Does the opteron have an extended future plan or is AMD stopping the 940 socket for something else coming up? I have not seen much advances in terms of the speeds one can get from the socket 940's for a little while and that has me a little worried about future viability for my dual processor setup. granted though, if I can use a quad core setup sometime in the future with this motherboard, how long will it take for applications to be able to use this power?

Right now upgrading the dual processor setup will be more expensive in the future than that of a single processor motherboard. that has me worried as well as the fact that opteron processor costs have not really dropped all that much.

take care guys.

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
hey there and thanks for the response. currently I was using the computer for more 3 related work but I realize that possibly a core 2 duo can do this faster and more efficiently than 2x opterons. not to mention I do not know how long the opteron 940 will be around for.

rest of the system specs are as follows:

6800 ultra 256mb vid card
3ware sata raid card with 3x hdd's running raid 5
sound blaster audigy 7.1

I Use the computer to game as well and wanted the best of both worlds. However, I do think now there is more power available for less than the cost of upgrading my opterons even if I wanted to do 3d graphics and animation. Are there plans for the 940's for future expansion? The cost of the chips have not really fallen that much and it seems that the core 2 duo has a hell of a long expansion cycle. I wonder if I should sell my chips and mobo and swtich to a dual core single socket system.

thanks

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
How much are you looking to spend? A Core 2 Quad costs about $280. An 8800GT if you want that can be had for about $260. I assume you need RAM. Are you going to keep your RAID setup and sound card?

vyder

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
well i already have been doing comparisons and it looks to be about 500-600 to refit everything.

Looking at a Gigabyte board $95
Intel e6750 $180
2gb corsair ram $90
western digital sata raptor x $180
will replace the 6800 ultra with a 7900gt that I have in my other cpu

I was thinking of selling the board, chips, ram, raid card + 3x hard drives and video card and using those proceeds to offset the costs of the newer components.

Was also thinking about selling the 246's and just buying an opteron 280 dual core chip. that would be about $280. but I am not sure the socket 940's will last that long. Part of me is thinking that I should sell this setup while I can get some decent figures for it rather than wait till it is too old to sell for a good price. if there is a future for the opteron's then I might consider keeping this setup.

but the new setup can probably run circles around this setup in terms of 3d graphics and rendering for the lesser cost that I am going to pay than if i had to buy 2 new opterons that can match the speed of the intel chip.

TRENDING THREADS