CPU: 3800+ 2.0ghz
Mobo: ASUS A8M2N-LA
RAM: 1gb
Windows Vista Home Prem.
Upgraded PSU: Antec 500 watt

In boxes under holiday tree:
eVGA 8800 GT 512mb superclocked
AMD 6400+ 3.2 Black Edition

I plan to build my first pc, from the ground up, early next year, I just took the opportunity to upgrade my current pc a bit, I have no intentions to overclock anything. I originally only was going with the GPU, but for 180 bucks I figured it made sense to upgrade CPU a bit. I know AMD lags behind Intel, and plan on going Intel with my build.

My question:
The CPU did not come with a fan or heat sink. I originally figured I could just use the one on the current CPU in the computer. If I have no intentions to overclock the CPU, is it safe to assume the current fan setup that came on the computer with the 3800+ when I purchased it will work with the new CPU, or do I need to purchase another fan?

jdice1980

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks badge, I assumed this was the case, however, you know what they say about those who assume, so I wanted to make sure. I do have some thermal compound, I did know I would need that.

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
You absolutely need more ram, your running vista and to have any use of those new stuff you need at least 2 Gb.

you sure the hsf will work on a cpu nearly double the power (and power consumption -> heat output)?

Personally I would use something like the Zalman 9500. I bought a 5th one for $43 a few days ago at Newegg. The processor is only $154.99. A more eficient fan would help at 3.2ghz. for sure. I leave my computers running all day a lot and don't have to worry.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Return the cpu. Get a 5600. Its basically a FX62 with a locked (upwards) multiplier. At the 14 multiplier, the ram will be at 1:1. It also comes with a HSF. You could then up the bus just a little if you wanted to. It would save you money too.

jdice1980

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I may get another CPU fan to be on the safe side. I am not returning the processor however, I have no intentions of tweaking anything in bios or elsewhere because the computer needs to be used for other purposes, so I want to keep it stable. I am going to put another 2 gigs of ram also.

jdice1980

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Well originally I had read about the 5000+ black edition on toms, I had the idea that I would overclock it using the unlocked multiplier. Then I went into my bios, and it is very limited, I guess because it is HP, and there is no place to do overclocking of any kind. Not with the multiplier, or the other way. So because of that, I decided to go with a processor that is clocked faster stock. I guess I could have gone with that one. Silly me, oh well.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Is there any reason to think that the HP might not take a new chip? I don't know about your situation, but I would not totaly bank on the idea that an HP would go for a quick CPU transplant. Anyone else got any ideas on how well this is likely to work?

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If it's an Am2 board it "should" work... but anytime you buy a white box from a manufacturer there's a good chance you won't be able to upgrade it.

you may need a new mobo too.... another reason it's almost always better to build your own.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

I take exception with that almost ;) It is always better to know what you have in your box. The warrenty is usually much better on any given component. The trick is, you have to be in a position not to need tech support. That's why there's Tom's though.

jdice1980

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Put cpu in today, even with upgraded fan. Pushed power button, black screen, fans running, but never got a post, or anything. Anyone have any suggestions? Or do I just put it on the shelf for my upcoming build?