Sign in with
Your question

Emergency Help

Last response: in Components
December 19, 2007 11:33:05 AM

Hello guys

I wanted to install windows XP professional 64 bit, at the first of the installation I chose the drive I wanted to install, it formatted the drive and after that the computer rebooted (it rebooted successfully) and exactly before the installation of the windows (when you have a black screen with an underline icon blinking on top the screen) suddenly in the middle of the screen I saw a little red square with two blinking exclamation marks in it and the computer stops here and doesn't do anything.... So I just have to reboot and turn it off

What I have done:
1- I cleared the C-Mos
2- I checked all of my RAMs to make sure it wasn't their problems
3- I tried it with other versions of windows too...like XP media center and the service pack 2

Please help me :cry: 

More about : emergency

December 19, 2007 1:11:11 PM

Because you have no MB/system drivers installed or an OS, use 1 DIMM of your 4 gigs in slot one only to load the OS. In BIOS and set the memory voltage to 2.0-2.1v before you try with the 1 DIMM.
December 19, 2007 1:12:16 PM

Reset CPU into default clock.
Remove all your USB device(s)
Unplug Internet, disable LAN port, disable Wi-Fi. Enable it after the installation.
Check in BIOS for AHCI, Native option. Disable them.
Related resources
December 19, 2007 2:04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply but I'm afraid none have worked so far
December 19, 2007 2:54:15 PM

no one ? guys please help me out in this
December 19, 2007 3:32:45 PM

Make sure the SATA ports are set to Legacy mode, rather than AHCI, RAID, or anything else.
December 19, 2007 3:35:38 PM

u mean in the BIOS right ? ok i will try it
thx
December 20, 2007 7:48:09 AM

thx but it didn't help.
December 20, 2007 8:08:44 AM

Quote:
3- I tried it with other versions of windows too...like XP media center and the service pack 2

Most of us don't have this many versions of windows laying around. Can you try a legal set of disks? Perhaps your burned ones are causing issues. (if for some reason you have 3 legal versions of windows, my apologies.)
December 20, 2007 8:28:31 AM

Download Ultimate Boot CD and run Active @ Kill Disk and zero write the drive. You will need to burn the ISO to CD, ISO Recorder v 2 works good if you don't have an alternative.

I hope you are using a legal copy of Windoze.
December 20, 2007 10:16:18 AM

im not sure about windows xp 64 bit. BUT windows vista 64 bit. microsoft will tell u to install it with only 2GB of ram. so maybe u shouldnt use the 4 of them.
December 20, 2007 10:39:01 AM

Update the bios.
December 20, 2007 12:28:17 PM

thx for all the reps.
i have used and installed all of these versions before and i didn't have any problem at all.(this versions of windows aren't the ones that are in the US but there is a crack that make all of these versions genuine)
but as i said i have worked with all of these before so if there was any problem with my copies of windows then it should have happend before.
also i had installed xp/vista 64 with 4gb of ram before.
i don't have floppy disk so i can't update the bios.
December 20, 2007 1:42:30 PM

You could use your hard drive to do a minimal boot and update the bios.
December 20, 2007 2:16:43 PM

isnt there any other way ?
December 20, 2007 2:23:05 PM

Shame on you. Free OS's and now you want free help? Get a job.
December 20, 2007 2:35:35 PM

"little red square with two blinking exclamation marks in it"

Question: is your video 'on-board' or is it a card you plug in?

What you described above doesn't sound good. It sounds like there's something wrong with the video card.

As a previous poster stated, get Ultimate Boot CD. Run as many memory tests on the system and try checking the video card in another PC, if possible.

The crack you mention does NOT make the installations genuine. Cracks are not legal. The activation code you have was not obtained legally.

Furthermore, is Iran allowed legal access to that OS as per U.S. sanctions?
December 20, 2007 2:39:31 PM

Ther red Explanation is probably Bush's way to send US troops to your house to give US a reason to invade Iran.
December 20, 2007 2:53:08 PM

blueeyesm said:
"little red square with two blinking exclamation marks in it"

Question: is your video 'on-board' or is it a card you plug in?

What you described above doesn't sound good. It sounds like there's something wrong with the video card.

As a previous poster stated, get Ultimate Boot CD. Run as many memory tests on the system and try checking the video card in another PC, if possible.

The crack you mention does NOT make the installations genuine. Cracks are not legal. The activation code you have was not obtained legally.

Furthermore, is Iran allowed legal access to that OS as per U.S. sanctions?

well first of all i dont think its the problem of my card,also i dont have another system to test it
my uncle has a legal version of windows so i will test it with it too
btw,where can i find a BOOT CD and also how it works?
thx for the reply
December 20, 2007 3:59:26 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Ther red Explanation is probably Bush's way to send US troops to your house to give US a reason to invade Iran.

lol. no ****. if it comes to me. will it mean they invade india as well?
December 20, 2007 4:17:02 PM

I said what I did because I've had issues before using burned CDs of windows. Changing the CD/DVD drive was the answer. Sometimes burned CD/DVDs have issues in some drives, I've never found out why. If you can, swap your optical for something else.
December 20, 2007 4:21:53 PM

I think Bill gates and George Bush should team up.
December 20, 2007 4:35:00 PM

Might as well as download a live linux distro and tinker with that to make sure the system is stable. Then try installing on of those and make sure things continue to work out before you dive into blaming whatever Windows disk you are using

For live I recommmend Knoppix
For install I would use either ubuntu or fedora... but probably ubuntu since it is most likely to just work.

December 21, 2007 7:29:38 AM

Guys i dont think its the problem of DVD RW, because it copies some files on the HDD
also i dont think updating the BIOS will help because i dont have a boot problem and laso a friend has some kind of same problem, his PC froze right after he turned it on and he updated his BIOS and it didnt help
December 21, 2007 8:08:40 AM

Did you format over your previously working version of Windows? If not,does your PC still work with that version/hard drive? Try a different CD/DVD drive and a legitimate version of Windows.
December 21, 2007 10:21:56 AM

Maziar, You might have data on the disk, that the format didn't erase, and your questionable copy of XP is seeing. Take the time to zero write the drive to rule that out. At least zero write the first few sectors, it will only take you a few minutes. See my earlier post.
December 21, 2007 3:31:02 PM

Guys i just downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD, but its my first time and i havent used if before even once, so can you give me a step by step instructions?
December 21, 2007 10:49:53 PM

In case you didn't see the PM.

Install the ISO Recorder, linked above, on the machine. If you downloaded the UBCD.EXE then double click on it to extract the .ISO image. Right click on ubcd411.iso and click "copy image to CD" and follow the prompts. Set to boot from the CD and boot up.

December 22, 2007 12:01:20 AM

I've used UBCD before, I think he might be wondering which of the many tools to use...
December 22, 2007 5:17:09 AM

I told him above, Active@ Kill disk. Or any other program on there to zero write the drive. No guaranties that it will work, but the "little red square with two blinking exclamation marks in it" is a strange one. It kind of sounds like MS is saying FU, so it's worth a shot.
December 22, 2007 5:28:55 AM

I wonder if he has a bad spot on the harddrive. If the new windows build it having an error because there is a bad sector on the drive, I wonder if it will cause the problem he's having. I also just noticed he said he's trying to install winXP 64bit. He might have some old hardware that isn't compatible. He should take everything out that he can and try again.
December 22, 2007 9:55:33 AM

if he have a bad spot/bad sector on the hdd, the format before the installation would stall. But apparently it wasn't stall, does the format was a quick format or a full format ?

Old hardware can be taken as consideration, but apparently at this board can be said there's no more old hardware. There's firewire, e-sata etc. Could be because of this new hardware making troubles on installation because XP 64bit doesn't find any drivers for them.
I'm thinking on disabling hardwares such USB, Firewire, Onboard Audio and any other hardware which are not "needed" on the installation from BIOS if any settings for them are exist. If any other add-on card, remove them also.
December 22, 2007 10:09:09 AM

It appears that XP is throwing the error before it even attempts to load, so I don't think it's a driver issue. If it was a driver issue XP should load anyway, or just throw errors if it was a catastrophic driver issue. Not to mention it is a really strange error.
December 22, 2007 10:38:37 AM

Ok, another think, usually after the format was done, XP installation will copy some files into a temporary folder in HDD, when copying is done, then it restart the PC.
He got the red exclamation things just after the PC restart. So, it can be HDD couldn't find the files/corrupted files or the installation CD that he burned got a wrong files or copied a wrong file.

December 22, 2007 10:54:30 AM

Hi and thanks

I downloaded it and I've booted from it and I've even entered the active kill dist option but I don't know what to do from here!!! It says : " to erase all data press F10 " if it is this option shall I do it for all of my drives or only the one I want to install windows on?!

Can you tell me EXACTLY which one to use and how to use it and what to do basically

Many thanks
December 22, 2007 11:13:03 AM

Bush and Gates says to push the Nuke button. It will clear yours and your neighbors CMOS.

Tbh, it could be a number of the issues that these guys mentioned above. Did you do all of the following?

1. Try legitimate copy of windows?

2. Zero write your hard drive?

3. Try a new hard drive?

4. Try a different CD/DVD DRive?

5. Remove your video card and set your BIOS for onboard video?

Theres probably a few other options but Im out of time to suggest.

I will be looking over the horizon for when you clear your CMOS...
December 22, 2007 11:40:11 AM

Maziar said:
Hi and thanks

I downloaded it and I've booted from it and I've even entered the active kill dist option but I don't know what to do from here!!! It says : " to erase all data press F10 " if it is this option shall I do it for all of my drives or only the one I want to install windows on?!

Can you tell me EXACTLY which one to use and how to use it and what to do basically

Many thanks
Don't zero write any drive on which you want the data, or it will be long gone with no way to save it, unless you are rolling in dough. First, if you are trying to load XP it is a good idea to unplug any other drives until XP is loaded, then you can plug them back in. So, to ensure you don't screw up, unplug any other drives but the target drive. Boot to UBCD an run active@ Kill Disk. Erase all data by pressing F10. You can let this run to write zeros to the whole drive or, if you want, you can abort it after 5 to 10min. and it will have only overwritten the first part of the drive with zeros. I believe that there are other options in Active@ KD, but it has been a while since I have used it. You don't need to worry about those options anyway.
December 22, 2007 11:41:01 AM

Ok I'm formatting all of my HDD with the active kill disk option and will post the result soon

Thanks all
December 22, 2007 11:42:43 AM

That is zero writing the drive, you will need to partition and format it afterwards.
December 22, 2007 2:43:44 PM

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what could I have done without you

Special thanks to: Zorg and 4745454b !!!!!!!!
December 22, 2007 3:33:49 PM

So the zero write cleared the problem?
December 22, 2007 3:49:56 PM

Yes :)  :D  thanx again
December 22, 2007 3:50:57 PM

Dont update your Illegal OS or you will be back in the sane boat.
December 22, 2007 4:04:03 PM

Maziar said:
Yes :)  :D  thanx again
Glad the mystery is solved.

w00t 1111 :bounce:  You know that is the word of the year...right? :whistle: 
December 22, 2007 4:44:37 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Dont update your Illegal OS or you will be back in the sane boat.

Nope i have updated before and as i said i have a crack that will make it genuine. however ok i wont update just to be sure :) 

To zorg, No! what is the word of the year ?
December 22, 2007 4:47:21 PM

Hi Maziar, glad you solved the problem. :bounce: 
December 22, 2007 4:47:27 PM

Well microsft has a crack for your crack. W00T. And if you dont update you will be vonerable to "VIRUS'S".
December 22, 2007 4:48:22 PM

Truth, you really should get a valid copy, if yours isn't.
December 22, 2007 4:50:24 PM

Zorg, I think you may have just helped a Terrorist.
!