Newbie question about cable digital

I have the Dish Network. They say it's digital so is the same as DTV that I
can get OTA?
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie question cable digital

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:38:34 GMT, "GREG BUGGY" <gbuggy@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >I have the Dish Network. They say it's digital so is the same as DTV that I
    >can get OTA?

    Generally, no for their basic services. Dish provides their 480i NTSC
    (which is analog if over broadcast OTA) in a digital signal to your
    receiver, but it isn't the same as OTA broadcast HDTV. HDTV (720p or
    1080i) is a subset of the digital OTA broadcasting standards, which
    also include 480p - which isn't HDTV.

    However, I understand Dish does provide a separate HDTV package, which
    is like OTA HDTV.

    Cable cos. are similar in that they provide some of their channels as
    480i NTSC with a digital signal, called cable digital, requiring one
    of their digital boxes, and often also offer a HDTV package as well.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    |edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

    "GREG BUGGY" <gbuggy@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have the Dish Network. They say it's digital so is the same as DTV that I
    >can get OTA?

    Nope... most likely very different - but you just can't tell up front - you
    gotta look and see

    Digital doesn't mean anything on sat or cable wise except that the channels
    are compressed and sent digitally, not in analog NTSC format like OTA and
    cable analog channels

    The cable/sat "digital" channels can be either as good as the best analog or
    worse than the worst analog - all depending on the quality of the
    digitization and the compression ratio used.

    For OTA digital TV, there are more standards - for instance the signal must
    be transmitted either in 480P (SD) or 720P (HD) or 1080i (HD)... but that
    still doesn't mean that the original content was digitized well or that the
    compression ratio isn't set too high to allow multiple sub-channels to share
    the same bits while a channel looks terrible.

    For instance, here in Richmond, the local Fox affiliate, owned by HD-hating
    Sinclair Group until recently took an off-the-air analog reception of its
    own ghost and noise laden UHF channel, digitized it, (ghosts, low-res and
    noise included) and retransmit as a 480P "DTV" channel that looked like
    absolute garbage. And there are some "digital" cable channels that look
    worse than pixelated Chinese VCD pirated movies - while others appear near
    DVD quality. The local NBC affiliate uses its 19.6Mbits/sec digital signal
    to send three subchannels, a 1080i 16:9 "HD" (that is probably
    overcompressed), a 480P SD simulcast of the HD in 4:3 format, and a bit
    starved SD 4:3 live local weather radar channel (often the best one to
    watch).

HDTV TV Cable Home Theatre