how do i see my CPU temp?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I just installed my pentiumd D 920. Started up no probs. I updated my bios and drivers a few days ago. Speedfan is showing 0 degrees celcius. I will have to investigate that. The bios is reading 43c at restart after a game of COD4. I installed Everest, but it too is not showing my cpu temp.

Any ideas. The mobo seems to be working properly. After playing COD4 for a while the fan's rpms went up. My bios has the temp. Speed fan and everest are both posting fan rpm for it, just not the temp.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I just installed my pentiumd D 920...
Dear god, why? It's the same as a p4 at 3.0Ghz in single threaded apps. :(

Anyways, your problem sounds like a software or driver issue since your BIOS seems to be reading it just fine. That or just some bad temp sensors. Does either program read your GPU temp?

Post a screenshot of speedfan if you can.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Because my mobo won't support any newer architecture. It is a temp fix, until i buy a new mobo(x38) in the spring. My p4 was topping out at 100%. The PD is barely hitting 70% when loaded. It is running much better. I picked up 15-20FPS more in COD4 and BF2142. Besides, it was real cheap. I can't lose.

Yes. Both post temps for GPU, HD and mobo. Both have them called something different. I don't recall what they name them. Speedfan does call the CPU temp - CPU temp. Which shows 0c. Everest show nothing for the CPU temp.

both also post fan speeds for everything correctly.

OK. I am at work now. I will post it this afternoon.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Because my mobo won't support any newer architecture. It is a temp fix, until i buy a new mobo(x38) in the spring. My p4 was topping out at 100%. The PD is barely hitting 70% when loaded. It is running much better. I picked up 15-20FPS more in COD4 and BF2142. Besides, it was real cheap. I can't lose.
Ah, I guess that's acceptable. The x38 will hopefully get cheaper when the x48 comes out since they already delayed x48 in hopes of flushing out all the x38 boards.

Yes. Both post temps for GPU, HD and mobo. It has them called something different. I don't recall what it names them. It does call the CPU temp - CPU temp. Which shows 0c.
Speedfan should also label core 1 and 2. Probably as Core 0 and Core 1, or CPU 0 / CPU 1. If that's not showing up, maybe it doesn't recognize it as a dual core.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Perhaps you should state what your MB is.

Also, SpeedFan only has so much support on different MB's.

Supported hardware monitor chips and temperature sensors

Try to figure out what you have, and see if they have it on their list. Other wise, it may not have support to read the temp sensors.

Edit:

Also you can see what speedfan does detect from that log screen. For example, this is what it detects on my system:

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked nVidia nForce410 SMBUS at $5000
Linked nVidia nForce410 SMBUS at $6000
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=FINTEK F71882F
Linked ISA BUS at $0A00
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $5000...
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $6000...
Scanning ISA BUS at $0A00...
F71882F found on ISA at $A00
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found ST3320620AS (320.1GB)
End of detection
Loaded 5 events

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Perhaps you should state what your MB is.

Also, SpeedFan only has so much support on different MB's.
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking this is a software / driver conflict since his BIOS reads it just fine, but the other programs draw a blank.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
my mobo sux. my pc is a HP. the mobo is an Asus P5LP-LE. Looking at the link above, it is not listed. That is probably the issue. I will never buy another HP. I got lazy. I always built my machines until that one.

EDIT: any other ideas for monitoring the temp. It is a Pentium D. I need to keep my eye on the temps. Althought it is a 9xx series. I understand they run much cooler. It seems fine after a day of hard gaming.

I don't plan on OCing it.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Only other thing I guess you could try, is Asus Probe. Can't say if it will or will not work:

ASUS PC Probe by ASUS

Edit:

The only thing is.. I think your only going to see was is called the Tcase temp, which is the sensor in between the cores.. Not sure if the PD are the same. Or in other words, you won't see the core temps, but rather a single temp like the bios reports.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
i tried to install it. It would not install. It said it could not find .... I forget the error. I tried twice.

It seems to be running cool. I have had no crashes, period. It never gets over 75%. I can see the temp in the bios at start up, 43c-47c. I wish i could see the temp under load. To bad i cant borrow someones infrared temp sensor gun, lol.

EDIT: anyone ever use http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm